Knife edge

fly_tornado

• 2 months later...

thats a crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy pilot ......... makes circuits around the field look a bit ....................................... ordinary

Holy bat cave Batman, that is unbelievable flying, - In the past I flew aerobatic model Radio Controlled planes for over 20 years and I wouldn't do those low flying aeros with a model - let alone be in it!!.

• Like 1

I guess they would be bored flying any other way... Clearly, whilst be expert pilots, this type of flying is dangerous.

Just like the Ghost Rider (motorcyclist who popped wheelies at 300km per hr through street traffic.... On a turbo charged hyabusa)

It ain't for me... I hate spinning even in a chair!!

... Clearly, whilst be expert pilots, this type of flying is dangerous.....

and readily quantified - simply count the small number who have engaged in this activity and count the number who have survived. Jim LeRoy claimed, by his fans, to be the best aerobatic pilot, I've often wondered why. Then again, I've been to funerals where that has been said of others too. Role models to others is another term frequently heard. Nope, sorry.As for being expert: we could debate that too couldn't we? I don't mean to generalise about all aerobatic display pilots - some are (or were) indeed expert and excellent role models.

... It ain't for me... I hate spinning even in a chair!!

Don't tell anyone but same here. I don't like roller coasters either.ace.gif.4b7b2ce3e9d614e05873a978e6555c1d.gif

People are amazed to hear I'm scared of heights, quite happy in a drifter ,or any aircraft ,but put me on the roof of my house and it's not pretty!

Funny how that works. My wife hates heights but loves to fly either as pilot or passenger?

My mentor, Allan Coates (he taught my father, and then me, to be F/Es), told me that back in the 60s, Cambridge university in England did a study and came up with the stats that 7% of humans are afraid of heights, but amongst aircrew, 47% of them are afraid of heights. Apparently they (the people who did the study) theorized it had something to do with the personality type getting hooked on the adrenalin high. I wonder if that means almost half of us are junkies?

• Like 1

Adrenaline is a natural substance enabling us to run or fight. ALL humans should be afraid of heights, for obvious reasons. We don't have out own wings , and if you fall you are dead.. In a plane it is no more important than looking down at a carpet from any height, but put me an the edge of a roof and it is another thing entirely. I really don't think we fly for the adrenaline high. Flying upside down in a tiger moth with no canopy just hanging in the straps is something else, believe me although somebody else may feel nothing. Nev

I used to be scared of heights, but spending 11 years working on high rise construction, with only temp scaffold hand rails and or shutters to stop you falling fifty plus floors.You kinda get used to it. When I plumbed the penthouse pool on Q1. The penthouse was on the 74th floor (I think). Anyway one floor below the observation deck. That did take a few hours to get used to the height. Feels very high when you look down onto the tops of other highrise buildings which are twenty of more floors below you. Anything over fifty floors feels pretty high I reckon.

I used to be scared of heights, but spending 11 years working on high rise construction, with only temp scaffold hand rails and or shutters to stop you falling fifty plus floors.You kinda get used to it. When I plumbed the penthouse pool on Q1. The penthouse was on the 74th floor (I think). Anyway one floor below the observation deck. That did take a few hours to get used to the height. Feels very high when you look down onto the tops of other highrise buildings which are twenty of more floors below you. Anything over fifty floors feels pretty high I reckon.

In my opinion, anything over FIVE floors feels very high.

Not sure I even fly that high (most of the time)