Airmanship......what airmanship?

Listened to a disappointing example of airmanship this morning, where a pair of jabiru's in company in enjoyed a local flight, chatting merrily with each other with phrases such as "heading over to the coast now" and "climbing to 2500", as well as other random transmissions as if a kid had taken over the microphone. Another training aircraft politely asked them to stop chatting and requested a position report and was told to "worry about what you're doing not what we're doing. We're nowhere near you!" This sort of arrogance is pathetic and a very poor reflection on recreational aviators. In a ctaf where 2 airports share the ctaf frequency and RPT transport operate to one of the airports it was appalling. I was glad not to be sharing the air with those muppets!

In any case I hope the student in the other aircraft observed first hand how not to use the radio.

Perhaps it would have been more acceptable if they put in calls with normal aviation wording , _________ traffic, this is Jabiru ABC [position, altitude] climbing to 2500 for local flying.

• Like 1

Chatting is out. personal comments are out. You are entitled to request position of an aircraft, and be given a reply. I wonder when we will get rid of some of the cowboys . It's airmanship good manners etc .If you expect to be regarded as a "real" pilot, behave like one. Don't do this sort of thing and then whinge about not being given respect. Nev

• Like 1

Chat on CTAF and area freqs is not on.

If you have the capacity with your radio/s to monitor a couple of freqs at the same time then use of a registered company freq [with that company's permission naturally] does not annoy anyone whilst still monitoring traffic when away from busy areas.

Quite a few people use 123.45 but I do not know the legality of this - but it certainly gets rubbish of working channels.

FrankM

I'd have to say that's not confined to RA, what was the general area?

ymyb.

Definately agree that it's not confined to RA pilots, I've often heard some local commercial operators having brief chats too. The RA instructor in the other aircraft was (as you'd expect) doing all things correctly to gain situational awareness. I guess I was most surprised by the response when asked for his position. I love flying because of the shared respect normally given to fellow aviators - flying big or small. I guess there's always a few bad apples everywhere.

nev

Guest ozzie

Solution to this sort of thing is simple. When flying with another aircraft and want to chitty chat do it on UHF. Either just fit one and and wire it in via comm panel or buy a couple of cheapy tandy hand held ones. Problem solved!

I have submitted a report about excessive use of CTAF [and obscene language] and have received a reply which basic content stated that the language I should take up with Spectrum Management (the old radio inspectors] - result a wast of time. In relation to excessive non traffic specific conversations I was informed that the matter would be monitored.

Now I just turn off passenger access to the VHF radio when this abuse occurs to limit passengers to the exposure.

The complaint from me at the time was GA traffic but as I do both, I do not see any differrence.

If CASA and Airservices are not interrested in addressing the problem then to appear professional I limit my passengers to the exposure which is sad but a fact in the world that we live.

FrankM

• Like 1

It's a known that if you need to chat for separation etc.., use the chat channel! i.e. 123.45... I know I use that a bit around the properties in aircraft that aren't fitted with UHF yet.

(edited version)

123.45 is not a free-for-all "chat" channel! http://flysafe.raa.asn.au/comms/licence.html

Yes, sorry it's always between aircraft for separation etc... so licensed operators only.

Section 1.3 of that link -

Interpilot air-to-air communications can be conducted on frequency 123.45 MHz.

When aircraft are operating in remote areas out of range of VHF ground stations, then 123.45 MHz is the regional air-to-air channel.

Communications between aircraft on 123.45 MHz are restricted to the exchange of information relating to aircraft operations and only the proper call-signs may be used.

They're miles outside the legislation so let CASA enforce these sorts of things and get their orders manuals guides into comprehensible form, and perhaps we can progress and take aviation safety seriously. Nev

checking the rego!, a fair few aircraft going over my house do NOT have any marking under wing,look like VH but how could you tell.

When I relic. an aircraft I had to put on lettering underneath the wing about a meter high. That would be bigger than some a/c. Then I had to photograph it and send to the Raa with some signed statements. I guess later you could say "It fell off"augie.gif.8d680d8e3ee1cb0d5cda5fa6ccce3b35.gif

When I relic. an aircraft I had to put on lettering underneath the wing about a meter high. That would be bigger than some a/c. Then I had to photograph it and send to the Raa with some signed statements. I guess later you could say "It fell off"augie.gif.8d680d8e3ee1cb0d5cda5fa6ccce3b35.gif

No problems at all, as long as you fitted some new numbers and didn't fly the aircraft until you had.

(not trying to be sarcastic here)

Alan.

I have seen a few planes with the Rego painted Yellow, from about 50ft above you it blends into the white and you can no longer see it. Very sneaky!

I have seen a few planes with the Rego painted Yellow, from about 50ft above you it blends into the white and you can no longer see it. Very sneaky!

Why would you not want your rego seen? That would attract attention straight away if you were involved in illegal activity.

An old trick used by drugrunners and smugglers in the Americas. bounce.gif.3516b5f7197d1d6889168640af67e2f6.gif

• Like 1

Why would you not want your rego seen? That would attract attention straight away if you were involved in illegal activity.

True, but I don't think they where involved in illegal activity, and actually on the ground it looked totally normal and like nothing suss or out of the ordinary was going on!

An old trick used by drugrunners and smugglers in the Americas. bounce.gif.3516b5f7197d1d6889168640af67e2f6.gif

I would try that, but the Auster just does not have the fuel range, or the MTOW to make it worth while! I would be the only drug dealer going broke because it cost more in fuel than what I could carry back!!!!

• Like 1