Viking Engines In Aus

bacon

Hi Guys

I'm currently building a cheetah Sierra 100. I was building it too have the jab 3300 but found these vikings engines and they look good, was wondering if anyone has fitted one yet or knows someone that has?

Jamie

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see it is a possibility for an eventual Savannah that I'd like to build and (due to the lower cost of the engine) I can bring the start date forward hopefully.

[Then, there is the issue of the S and the must-have ballistic parachute and the other nice-t0-have things, etc 047_freaked.gif.8ed0ad517b0740d5ec95a319c864c7e3.gif etc.]

I emailed the Viking people about this possibility late last year and they said, it'll be the same installation as the Zenith CH-701. I pointed out that the XL (or the VGW as they call it in the U S of A) was quite a different aircraft compared to the ZEE-nith (as they like to call it in the U S of A) 701. They said something along the lines that they were going to look into it.

Since then I have noticed that someone has already fitted one the the Savannah XL somewhere in the world from this extract on the website's FAQ:

• What is the TBO (Time between overhaul)? ----- 2000 hr

• Is the engine expensive to operate? ------ No, this engine also exist as a mass produced boat, car and racing engine. (Those engines are made by Honda and not Viking)

• Does the engine look like the pictures? ------ Yes it does, unless we upgrade something.

• Can I order one now? ------ Yes, you can order one at any time by simply writing an email to [email protected] or at OUR ONLINE VIKING SHOPPING CART FOR CREDIT CARD PURCHASES HERE A refundable deposit is required to hold the current price.

• What airplanes are installations kits now being made for? --- So far, engines are for the following for the following aircraft: Jabiru Aircraft, CH-601 XL, CH-601 HD, CH-650, CH-750, CH-701, RV-12. Storch, IBIS MAGIC 700 , SeaRay, Sonex, Savannah XL, Morgan Aeroworks Cougar.

• What is the general warranty policy? ---- We will fix anything that we are responsible for, for free. We do not cover shipping. .... .... ....

I wonder who the XL/Viking owner is, and whether they're Down Under?

http://www.vikingaircraftengines.com/Photos/Pictures.htmlif you go through the pictures you will see Glen's Savannah with the engine in it

It looks as if this Glen shares the project with Jim and here are three short youtube clips of the viking in a Sav. (Interesting herringbone pattern on the side of the fuselage):

• Informative 1

I posted a comment on the video on youtube will be good to see an answer and a email address from the guy to see how good the performance difference is

I also posted a comment (on the last of the four videos above); I'd be interested to see whether the Viking is a good engine-to-aircraft match. Only real life experience will tell, I suppose.

arent viking engines out of written off honda cars

Hi Crashly, No they are brand new engines from honda so I'm told. I think they would be a great engine and I hope to buy one.

It appears I've been misled. Thanks guys for putting me straight.

arent viking engines out of written off honda cars

I understand they indeed come from crashley'd cars 073_bye.gif.391d1ddfcbfb3d5f69a5d3854c2b0a02.gif

...but the Viking company only buys engines with low kilometres on the clock prior to the crash. There is a review of the underlying engine in the Viking set-up: http://asia.vtec.net/Engines/LSERIESG2/index.html

This is a direct quote from Jan the owner and maker of the Viking engines

about the engines and where they come from

> > I never said these are direct from Honda. First off, those "Out on the web"

might have a negative notion to what we do, yet we feel it is brilliant :)

> > It highlights their ignorance to the disposable world we live in today, and

reinforces their outdated image of what modern salvage yards have become.

> >

> > The engines we buy do come from cars that were unlucky enough to have some

part of it damaged to the the point it was not worth repairing. Since the Honda

Fit is considered an economy car, this amount of damage can be very minimal. In

no case do we buy damaged engines. All engines are opened and oil and parts are

inspected. So far we have never found anything to repair.

> >

> > This same lack of knowledge also make them believe that only a limited # of

these engines are available. The reality being that we have access to more 2010

and 2011 model engines than we could ever use for aviation. These are undamaged

engines with a minimum miles. Using mass produced, recycled engines is of great

importance to the survival of sport aviation. Not only are the engines, for all

practical purposes new, they are also available at a low price. This translate

to a lower price for the completed aircraft engine and also a much lower price

for a replacement engine if it is ever needed. You might as well get ready to

pay $15,000 or more to replace a Rotax that had an oil line leak and the engine

ran out of oil. Not so with a Viking, $1,000 and you have a low mileage engine

core to get you back in business.

• Like 2

Mine is still sitting under the bench, l hope to have funds for a mount next month so l can mount it.

As always people are welcome to come and have a look.

Looks a very professional setup and l have been keeping a eye on the Viking forum for other peoples thoughts on electrical system.

Has Jab mounting points so l can use Garys mount. will be 40mm shorter.

And its a Honda and doesnt have through bolts. 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

As for a NEW core l will pick up a new crate engine later when l get to 2000hrs. na_na.gif.fad5d8f0b336d92dbd4b3819d01d62e5.gif

regards Bruce

• Like 1

Has Jab mounting points so l can use Garys mount. will be 40mm shorter.

And its a Honda and doesnt have through bolts. 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

As for a NEW core l will pick up a new crate engine later when l get to 2000hrs. na_na.gif.fad5d8f0b336d92dbd4b3819d01d62e5.gif

Does that mean the Viking will fit pretty much any A/C designed for Jabiru engines? If so, do they take into account the extra weight of the Viking?

It should, the lower cowel will need mods and its only 5kg heavier than a Jab with fluids l am told.

l should put mine on the scales and check.

The crate it came in said 90kgs so it should be very close to 76kg, thats with radiators ready to bolt up.

So the added wait for oil coolers, filter, coils are included in that and no black magic ducting required to keep it cool.

l trust my life in a Viking/Honda can that be said of another brand?

regards Bruce

Mine is still sitting under the bench, l hope to have funds for a mount next month so l can mount it.As always people are welcome to come and have a look.

Looks a very professional setup and l have been keeping a eye on the Viking forum for other peoples thoughts on electrical system.

Hey sloper

Where are you located, I would be interested in coming to have a look at it, its a flash looking motor, looking on the website

l trust my life in a Viking/Honda can that be said of another brand?

Thats exactly what I'm thinken its nearly got too be a better motor just for the reliability factor.

...l trust my life in a Viking/Honda can that be said of another brand?

regards Bruce

In Africa, pilots flying single engined planes over true tiger territory, often refer to St Rotax and seem to prefer those engines over others.

My daughter owns a Honda Civic and this still has the original engine, gearbox, etc. It is well over 400,000 kilometres. She has owned if for nearly four years and the engine never gives her any trouble. It's got me thinking about a Viking a lot, apart from the cost factor when compared to a Rotax.

I have been doing a bit more searching on the internet to find some more information about the engine, And have come across a few forums over in america about the dealer Jan and some of his earlier associations with another motor and his business attitude in general http://sonexbuilders.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=63. A link to one of the forums. Has anyone else heard anything about him from a more reliable source how did you find him to deal with bruce. Can't find anything bad about the engine so far, tho it has only had 200 or so hrs put on it in a few different aircraft from what I can find

Jan did get a few bad reports about the suburu mods he did as he basically left some people in the lurch with that unit. Maybe I think he has learnt his lesson when it comes to support. A local up here has one of his suburu in his RV8 and it goes really well but he isn't fond of Jan...The only way to know is to see how the Viking goes with sales and support and of course reliability but so far its looking pretty good

Well FT you have found something then...I hadn't seen this although I did go looking for any issues. Well I suppose as I said we need to sit back and watch what happens in the future to evaluate what else comes up with performance/service and support.

Jan did get a few bad reports about the suburu mods he did as he basically left some people in the lurch with that unit. Maybe I think he has learnt his lesson when it comes to support. A local up here has one of his suburu in his RV8 and it goes really well but he isn't fond of Jan...The only way to know is to see how the Viking goes with sales and support and of course reliability but so far its looking pretty good

Going to have to wait and see I guess, the deeper I dig tho the worse it seems to get in that same forum I had the link to they are trying to get solid figures out of jan about installation weight which he will not give a defiant answer, could be a lot heavier than he is claiming on his website. Time will tell, I did send him an email earlier today to try and get some more info and figures off him and he sent back a very short email telling me everthing is on the website, and i can sign up to the yahoo forum that he controls, he won't let any negative comments thru so hard to get a good idea of engine from there too. Just all seems a bit dodgey to me might steer clear and stick with the Jab.