Viking Engines In Aus

bacon

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FT , I mean't bananas, not skins.....you know, like the ones monkeys eat !!!

rotax went bust?

What??????? Rotax went bust ?...what drugs are you on FT

I enjoy the humorous side of life and can often see the funny side to many posts in many threads. But, with all due respect F=T, some of your posts are getting rather tedious. They're simply too negative and it's time to change the tone to the positive side of things. I don't mind at all if the criticisms you have towards Jan's automotive-to-aircraft-engine conversions are constructive. You may even be wrong many a time, but if better facts are presented to the thread and you continue your incessant adverse and destructive comments -just for the sake of being unhelpful and pessimistic- we're going to get pretty tired of them.

It's time to consider the facts, weigh them up fairly and cease from making carping, negative comments for the sake of adding a melancholy bent to this (and any other) thread.

Please consider....

• Like 2

Next minute you will be sucking the wine out of the diff/gearbox

Well I am sure if I paid the mega bucks I could get the service software and lead and log in and look myself...I deal with this sort of stuff every single day FT its not rocket science but to be honest I have no desire to pay the asking price when I test my ECU 's every time I take off and if the engine rpm drops below the spec then I dont fly. I can get the same stuff for my LS2 6 litre V8 commodore and play with the profiles if I wanted to to get another 100 hp but again I have no wish to...I start the car it goes....I start the plane it goes....anything electronic can crap itself at anytime but because Jan touched it... it must be different is it. It doesnt matter if it is a Rotax or something that Jan sourced or my GM holden...its an electronic device they do stop sometimes because of no fault of the owner

so what do your friend do when the gearbox gets noisy?

I saw a Subaru conversion that appeared to have just been ripped out of a car, nothing like the adverts. Also the guy was told he would have to replace redrive at a cost of $3000 or $5000 if bought later, engine hadn't even had it's first start at that stage - wiring loom was a shocker too, I had to sort it out.077_smash_pc.gif.f5903d27a57d2bd4c7b9e20e21a3465c.gif

Jake J

• Like 1

"It doesnt matter if it is a Rotax or something that Jan sourced or my GM holden...its an electronic device they do stop sometimes because of no fault of the owner"

Is that right Mark, I had a radio like that once..................004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

JG

I enjoy the humorous side of life and can often see the funny side to many posts in many threads. But, with all due respect F=T, some of your posts are getting rather tedious. They're simply too negative and it's time to change the tone to the positive side of things. I don't mind at all if the criticisms you have towards Jan's automotive-to-aircraft-engine conversions are constructive. You may even be wrong many a time, but if better facts are presented to the thread and you continue your incessant adverse and destructive comments -just for the sake of being unhelpful and pessimistic- we're going to get pretty tired of them.It's time to consider the facts, weigh them up fairly and cease from making carping, negative comments for the sake of adding a melancholy bent to this (and any other) thread.

Please consider....

See post #18 in the thread: http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/new-engine-from-icp-manufacturer-of-the-savannah.52302/#post-257795 for additional F_T related information.

• 3 weeks later...

An interesting thought.....Honda are about to release an all aluminium 1.6 litre 118hp Turbodiesel in this years Civic. Couple that to the mechanicals of the Viking gearbox (+/- new gear ratio)....045_beg.gif.b05ea876053438dae8f282faacd973d1.gif guessing 10-13l/hr of Jet A1 at 118hp, 8-10l at 100hp (quoted usage in the new Civic is ~3-4l/100km). Fill up anywhere in the bush with diesel or Jet fuel.

Wonder what weight?...Another thought I had... as in RAA we are only allowed natural aspirated motors... is there an exemption for the diesel variant, as all with enough power are pressure assisted..?

So Rotax 914's aren't allowed?? I think you will find that you are only allowed piston engines as distinct from turbines...

• Agree 2

What! Steam engines are not allowed? Back to the drawimg board Diesel engines without turbo's are pretty rare. It's part of the engine management system. We should releas ourselves from self imposed unnecessary restrictions. We tie ourselves up in knots and don't get enough knots. Radial engines are natural for supercharging. It distributes the fuel evenly. A turbocharged rotary ( wankel) would be ideal for a real small sportplane like a hummelbird. A pietenpol uses a lightened Ford "A" engine. There are all sorts of possibilities including electric Nev

• Helpful 1

I wonder how long before Sloper will be running up his Viking engine?BTW: is this still the only Viking engine in Australia?

It comes down to a large injection of funds, l hope to have the engine mounted and maybe running by Easter.

The funds are there just waiting to access to finish the Couger.

regards Bruce

• 1 year later...