Viking Engines In Aus

bacon

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jamie

Its as rare as rocking horse droppings. There maybe 1 or 2 spots coming up soon at Ycab in a hangar 2 down from mine. I have the guys card at home I am away until monday. Flash me a email to kylecom at tpg dot com dot au and I will see . Sorry for the crypto but robots trawl forums for email addresses. This guy is moving to Toowoomba and was looking at renting his hangar out. believe me it is the quick or the dead when it comes to finding hangar space

Mark

• Agree 1

• 4 months later...

Engine is running sweet! Day 2 flight testing complete. All tweaks to the airframe complete. We're looking at cruise speeds between 120-130kts. Heavy crosswinds today and landing was uneventful.

VIDEO COMING 045_beg.gif.b05ea876053438dae8f282faacd973d1.gif

Regarding using ordinary diesel V/s Avtur, the diesel goes to wax at a few degrees below zero C, so don't go high on a cold day. Nev

Yep Nev; this will a whole new learning curve. Diesel engine operators will have to read up about the cloud point of diesel, also if they store it they will have to consider what parcel of diesel was received as they change the % through the seasons. Probaly best to get a see through bowl in the system to see when the wax is forming / collecting (although that will usually be 50 / 50 on being too late.

Cheers

Yep Nev; this will a whole new learning curve. Diesel engine operators will have to read up about the cloud point of diesel, also if they store it they will have to consider what parcel of diesel was received as they change the % through the seasons. Probaly best to get a see through bowl in the system to see when the wax is forming / collecting (although that will usually be 50 / 50 on being too late.Cheers

Summer blend could be a real problem. I've seen the result when it was supplied to a contractor in winter, poor bugger couldn't start his Grader until after 10.00 am. It was Mobil fuel remeniscent of the Avgas debacle.

• 2 months later...

Video with engine sound, rattle from camera mount.

After 35hrs specs as follows.

Fuel burn @ fast cruise: 20-21lts per hour 110-115kts

Fuel burn @ Econ cruise: 17-18ltrs per hour 100kts

Engine temps all in the green, except oil temp which is too cool

No problems with engine so far. Have complete 2 cross countries and flown up to 8000.

• Like 6
  • Winner 1

I'm not sure if everyone has seen this or not in regards to a price drop in the Viking 110 and the new Viking 135. The 135 looks sweet!

Viking 110 now $9,995 USD

Viking 135 intro price $19,995 USD (Testing March 2015 - Due for release January 2016) RRP $24,995 USD

http://www.vikingaircraftengines.com/#

At $10k USD it's hard for the Viking not to be considered on your engine shopping list.....

• Agree 1

Flying should not just be for old geezers and the elite. New blood generates new ideas and competitiveness. That's great for any industry!

Affordability and reliability is what everyone should be looking for in an aircraft and engine regard of anyone's 'OLD SCHOOL' opinions.

and this is where the new engine falls over, its no more affordable than any other aircraft engine and the reliability unproven.

If Jan had brought it in at say around $14K it might sell quite well but at $25K most buyers will keep on walking

Jan seems to have missed the point, the Honda auto conversion sells because its cheap. $25K gets you a proper aircraft engine.

Might do well because the V4 Motus motorcycle engine http://motusmotorcycles.com/ is put forward as an engine based on Chev V8 architecture which may be confidence boosting to a lot of Yanks.

Not my cup of tea though, anyone who has ridden a V4 motorcycle knows the high frequency vibration issues inherent in a V4 and why, although a great package, V4's are rare in the engine world.

I'd take the Viking Honda over it and just add 3-4 lbs of turbo boost for the same result.

anyone who has ridden a V4 motorcycle knows the high frequency vibration issues inherent in a V4

I have ridden over 100,000km on 2 Honda VFR 750's and found them to be excellent, silky smooth and totally reliable engines.

Bruce

• Agree 1

I have ridden over 100,000km on 2 Honda VFR 750's and found them to be excellent, silky smooth and totally reliable engines.Bruce

My wife and I had done many thousands of k's on flat six boxer motor cycles, in fact we had over 1/4 of a million on the first two. When I decided to test ride a V4 Kawasaki her comment after about 2 minutes was if you buy this you will be riding on your own. Needless to say we went back to the flat six boxer moter. I have never ridden a bike with a smoother engine.

I find the V4's and Vtwins for that matter functional in an Agricultural type of a way.

• Agree 1

My wife and I had done many thousands of k's on flat six boxer motor cycles, in fact we had over 1/4 of a million on the first two. When I decided to test ride a V4 Kawasaki her comment after about 2 minutes was if you buy this you will be riding on your own. Needless to say we went back to the flat six boxer moter. I have never ridden a bike with a smoother engine.I find the V4's and Vtwins for that matter functional in an Agricultural type of a way.

My experience of women on the back of bikes was the opposite, Geoff. When I traded my Yamaha XS2 650 for a smooth-as-silk 860 Ducati, my wench was not well pleased.

She missed her "87 inch personal vibrator".

• Haha 2