The driver’s licence medical (aviation) is now available

Admin

CASA has put in place a new simplified and streamlined medical certificate system for pilots who operate aircraft for private purposes. It means pilots who qualify to use the new system can obtain their medical certificate from any general practitioner, instead of having to visit a designated aviation medical examiner and apply for a class 2 medical. For many pilots this will reduce the time and cost of obtaining a medical certificate. The new system is open to all CASA licensed pilots who operate aircraft in a private or recreational capacity, subject to a number of important safety restrictions.

The new medical standards for private and recreational operations are based on the Austroads Inc unconditional motor vehicle driving licence standard, with a range of aviation specific additional requirements. These additional medical requirements cover areas such as cancer, heart failure, head injuries, epilepsy and musculoskeletal disorders that can pose a safety risk in aviation. The new medical certificate for CASA licensed pilots restricts holders to flying single engine piston aircraft of up to 1500 kg maximum take-off weight. Pilots must operate at less than 10,000 feet AMSL in day visual metrological conditions, with only one informed and consenting passenger on board, and no aerobatic flight permitted. If a control seat is occupied by an appropriately licensed pilot with a current class 1 or 2 medical certificate the restrictions on passenger numbers, aerobatics and altitude do not apply. Pilots using the new medical will have access to controlled airspace.

Once a pilot successfully obtains a drivers licence (DL) medical certificate (aviation) from a general practitioner they must e-register on CASA’s website, agree to be bound by the conditions and limitations of the CASA instrument EX68/12 and receive an electronic acknowledgement from CASA. Pilots under 65 years must renew and re-register their certificate every two years, while those over 65 will need to do this every 12 months. There is no fee attached to the registration of the certificate. Pilots are required to carry the medical certificate and the CASA acknowledgement of registration when flying and produce them to CASA inspectors as if they were a class 2 medical certificate.

It is hoped that many pilots find the new DL medical certificate (aviation) an easier way to obtain and maintain their medical clearance to fly. Having robust medical standards is a key element of aviation safety and this initiative ensures safety standards remain high while making the system simpler.

FAQs and information on how to register for the driver’s licence medical (aviation) can be found on the CASA website. http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_100908

The GA Task Force can be contacted by email at [email protected] or by phone on 131 757.

Yours sincerely

Peter John

Manager

General Aviation Task Force

Guest Howard Hughes

I wonder if this will have an effect on the number of DAME's available? I understand it is quite expensive to keep up DAME registration, will it be worth it if a large number of pilots are able to get their medical by other means?

I can't see a large number of pilots doing this. If you have a four seater you have to get a qualified pilot to go along with you to use the full capacity of the aircraft. you could do that without a licence at all.

The class 2 has been around unchanged for a long time, maybe that could be revised too. If you download the whole document it is not a simple matter of just having a car medical and it may have to cover some situations not spelled out yet, but it is a good thing. The reduction of aviation activity (non-RAAus) is occurring anyhow. Individual doctors will have to decide whether they want to do either. You can't force your doctor to sign you out. Some foreign doctors may be a bit reluctant as they are wary of government requirements/involvement.and as soon as you say "aeroplane" they run a mile. (have to change that to 1.? kilometers one day).. Nev

The thing that will influence my decision whether to go Class 3 or Class 2 will be the relative costs of the examination. I enquired and found that a Class 2 examination will cost about $225, and it's only a matter of making an appointment.

I wonder if my GP will charge for a Long Consultation for a Class 3, and Bulk Bill it. If he doesn't, I reckon the cost will be pretty high, given his predilection for charging above the set rate for normal visits.

As for the restrictions on operations for Class 3, I wonder how many of us would fly regularly with more than one passenger. Grey Nomads of the Air don't bring along the kids, or extra friends very often.

OME

Strewth! That was quick. I was expecting to wait at least 12 months for this to come into effect.OME

I was expecting another few years. It's been in the CASA non works for over 10 years.

Guest ozzie

If you have a 4 seat aircraft and only rated to carry 1 pax, can you still go max weight by loading up with camping equipment etc?

"Pilots using the new medical will have access to controlled airspace"Any idea on how this will work with this type of medical?

It's a case of having the CTA endorsement same as applies now. The licence is the same, it's just that the choice of medical impacts your pax capacity.

I'll keep going for my class 2 for as long as I can pass it and then think about the class 3 even though I hardly ever need to fly something that carries more folk than the Auster.

I think it is a great step forward and sincerely congratulate those at the Regulator who have pushed this through. Some things CASA does I find very punitive or excessive and I am critical of them in those instances, but this has been done well and they deserve the kudos. Let's hope they can resolve the issues with Part 91 as sensibly.

Kaz

• Like 5

I take it this does not mean the actual RPL is now available? This still needs to be approved by CASA before we start seeing it available?

Approved 29th June 2012

On 29 June 2012, the Acting Director of Aviation Safety granted an exemption, CASA EX68/12 against the holding of a medical certificate by holders of a CASA issued Student pilot licence, Private pilot licence, Commercial pilot licence and Air Transport pilot licence - when a pilot is conducting private operations and agreed to comply with the limitations and conditions in the exemption, which includes being subject to a modified driver licence medical examination. 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

• Like 1

Nope, you were right the first time. The RPL and the supporting Part 61 amendments have not been passed. What we have is a medical exemption subject to conditions.

Cheers

Steve

So if you don't already hold a casa license you can't use it. Eg you cannot apply for a spl on The driver’s licence medical (aviation). You need a class 2.

Not so! If you dig deep enough into the fine print you will find that this can be applied to a student license. This is mentioned in FlyHi's post #19 above.

I take it this does not mean the actual RPL is now available? This still needs to be approved by CASA before we start seeing it available?

Exactly, the RPL will come in with the new Reg Part 61. What we now have is an exemption from the currents regs available.