Stinson into hangar at Wedderburn

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So ,I'm on short final , knees have a slight tremor,,,,brow is sweaty,,,hands are a bit clammy on the stick,,,,easy,,,easy,,,relax,,,touch down ,,,push forward,,,,,keep it straight ,,,,,don't over do it,,,,keep pushing forward,,,keep it pinned,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and you reckon flying a taildragger is similar ,,,,I'm not seeing it really!

No no! That wheeling it on is way too advanced at this stage. Try teaching her to three point it first... Height of a London bus, round out, height of a London cab, hold off, wham, bam, thumpety, whomp, whomp, whomp... There, wasn't that fun?... Sound familiar?

096_tongue_in_cheek.gif.d94cd15a1277d7bcd941bb5f4b93139c.gif

• Like 1

I'd post the rest of that joke but I know it would offend Ahlocks delicate sensibilitys.;)

Oh, I don't know... He's letting us get away with heaps at the moment. Try putting a dig at Turbo in it. It's worked like a champion so far... On second thoughts, maybe not. If it's the one I think it is, it's a wet joke anyhow. And that wouldn't be fair to Turbo.

• Like 3

Just started the day's work and you could not torment me any more than the interrelationship between dimensions and weights in a Road Train, where I've managed to build in a mistake I can't find. There are hundreds of calculations to do and if you make a mistake on one dimension it can affect 30 others so you have to go through all 30 until you find it....then something else changes.

I confess I have never been to Wedderburn so don't know the layout. But it is a bit mind-boggling to comprehend how this happened... Hangars and airstrips usually have a bit of a gap between them.

Will be interesting to read the report if there is one.

Tube frames can be straightened and fabric repaired but, as Nev said, Franklin bits are becoming harder to source and this one probably copped a pounding.

I do hope it can be restored to flying condition because they are a lovely old bird and there aren't all that many of them flying now.

[how many projects can one man have, Met, and still feed the wife and kids? <grin>]

Kaz

Yes i can under stand this .When i first started i tried to steer it like a billy cart with your feet on the axil, any one changing from a trike to plane would have to concentrate.

My one flight in a trike buggered up years of training in triaxial aircraft. Had to learn how to ground steer all over again.

Methinks there may have been some serious and therefore distracting interference with the left wing before the hangar loomed. But I wasn't there, and I haven't heard the report, so there's no point in my speculating. Fact is, looking at the photos, it'll be a big job. But from the outside, it looks doable. And I like the idea of fitting a Lycoming. Trouble is though, given the price of a straight one States side, is it economically viable/justifiable to do that much work on this one? This be the question the minister for finance is bound to ask. But hey, if it's a matter of the heart, and not the head making the decision, as many orphan cases are, then go for it, Met. It's only time and money...

Nice man Ted, fracking cracks the various layers of rocks which hold our artesian water supply, allowing the water to drop down to the lowest layer of undamaged rock, which in some cases may put the water level out of practical reach of irrigation pumps. It's a very crude method of mining.

• Like 1

Sheesh... Every time I look at the photos, I shudder.Kaz

I just can't stop thinking what a noise this would have made. Imagine if you were in the hangar doing whatever. Yes you would hear it coming but that would not prepare you for the racket that was about to occur. Definitely an undies changing moment!

• Like 2

Guest Maj Millard

I don't reckon they would have been as soiled as the pilots' !!!!.....................................................Maj...008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gifhurry_up.gif.177b070ad0fed9378055f023fbf484f7.gif

Ok, so.. I got a visit from some of the wedderburn boys today.. I feel I should qualify some of my earlier statements.

I was not saying that all pilots who fly from there are dangerous.. Just a small percentage, and perhaps a slightly larger percentage then the normal airfield. :) this could be due to many factors, but in no small part is the difficulty of operating from that strip in anything other than perfect conditions. It just brings out the worst in some...:)

(sorry doug)