Stinson into hangar at Wedderburn

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Maj Millard

I have one original aluminium 108 Voyager wheelpant, with original Dk green paint and top chrome strip....damm..too late !..............................................................................Maj...087_sorry.gif.8f9ce404ad3aa941b2729edb25b7c714.gif

Yeah but you turkeys keep on banging them up. It's a bit like wanting to keep spoked buggy wheels and tillers on cars - they would be hard to handle too.

Aargh jeez Turbz, relax, it's OK Mate,,, we understand...059_whistling.gif.a3aa33bf4e30705b1ad8038eaab5a8f6.gif It's a known fact that not everybody can handle a serious aeroplane... 074_stirrer.gif.5dad7b21c959cf11ea13e4267b2e9bc0.gif

But I salute your willingness to stick up for those who can't, and make them feel better. 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

• Like 4

LIL must be interesting when the grass is wet.

Taildraggers would have been great in the days when we had "all round" proper landing fields, but someone seems to have lost the plot along the way and forced them on to narrow runway fields.

.......Taildraggers would have been great in the days when we had "all round" proper landing fields, but someone seems to have lost the plot along the way and forced them on to narrow runway fields.

This be true. But it's OK, we're learning how to handle it... 038_sweat.gif.5ddb17f3860bd9c6d8a993bf4039f100.gif 032_juggle.gif.8567b0317161503e804f8a74227fc1dc.gif 038_sweat.gif.5ddb17f3860bd9c6d8a993bf4039f100.gif

As an aside, I can remember flying over Kansas USA back in the late '90s and seeing a HUGE concrete slab on the ground, 1 mile x 1 mile (640 acres), which I was told is one of the old airfields that were built back in WWII to train pilots. Now THAT was a proper landing field. YEE HAR! Landing and taking off into wind everytime with a minimum of 5,280 feet (1,609 mtrs)... But the concrete would have been hell on the tailskids...

Hell i've seen a C182 do this so taildragger not the problem, it was an actual disaster straight thru the side of the hanger and took the entire bar out. not one bottle on the top shelf survived!

Hell i've seen a C182 do this so taildragger not the problem, it was an actual disaster straight thru the side of the hanger and took the entire bar out. not one bottle on the top shelf survived!

Holly mackerel! I didn't realize it was such a serious bingle...

Back to being serious, the port wing seems to have demolished a pole on its way to the hangar. There's insufficient damage to the hangar wall to account for that wing-tip re-modelling. Any info? Also, both wings now have the same sweep to them. Just asking.

Agree maj training is the problem was he low hours ?

Of course it was the training! No one told him that it was best to open the doors of the hangar first. 067_bash.gif.26fb8516c20ce4d7842b820ac15914cf.gif

Frank.022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

• Like 1

This be true. But it's OK, we're learning how to handle it... 038_sweat.gif.5ddb17f3860bd9c6d8a993bf4039f100.gif 032_juggle.gif.8567b0317161503e804f8a74227fc1dc.gif 038_sweat.gif.5ddb17f3860bd9c6d8a993bf4039f100.gifAs an aside, I can remember flying over Kansas USA back in the late '90s and seeing a HUGE concrete slab on the ground, 1 mile x 1 mile (640 acres), which I was told is one of the old airfields that were built back in WWII to train pilots. Now THAT was a proper landing field. YEE HAR! Landing and taking off into wind everytime with a minimum of 5,280 feet (1,609 mtrs)... But the concrete would have been hell on the tailskids...

Quite true Wayne. Where I grew up in northern central Canada there were no airstrips, just lakes & rivers so it was floats in the summer and skis in the winter and absolutely no concern about cross-wind landings. Thinking then was 'why would you depart or land anyway other than into the wind'?

• Like 1

Quite true Wayne. Where I grew up in northern central Canada there were no airstrips, just lakes & rivers so it was floats in the summer and skis in the winter and absolutely no concern about cross-wind landings. Thinking then was 'why would you depart or land anyway other than into the wind'?

I can imagine what you're describing Riley. I've never been on the ground in Northern Central Canada. But I did ferry an aircraft from Fairbanks across to Philly one clear, summer night. We were just inside the arctic circle at one stage, and there was a whole lot of rugged country below us. I distinctly remember sweet talking my engines to, "keep running". Fore there was no-where I'd have liked us to try a landing on our wheels, and that's for sure. Definitely skis or floats country. In a previous life I used to spend a bit of time going into places like Tapini in the PNG hi-lands and we used to think we were pretty special. Then, from up high, I saw the country the Canadian bush pilots operate into, and I've been tipping my hat to them ever since.

045_beg.gif.b05ea876053438dae8f282faacd973d1.gif

I can imagine what you're describing Riley. I've never been on the ground in Northern Central Canada. But I did ferry an aircraft from Fairbanks across to Philly one clear, summer night. We were just inside the arctic circle at one stage, and there was a whole lot of rugged country below us. I distinctly remember sweet talking my engines to, "keep running". Fore there was no-where I'd have liked us to try a landing on our wheels, and that's for sure. Definitely skis or floats country. In a previous life I used to spend a bit of time going into places like Tapini in the PNG hi-lands and we used to think we were pretty special. Then, from up high, I saw the country the Canadian bush pilots operate into, and I've been tipping my hat to them ever since.045_beg.gif.b05ea876053438dae8f282faacd973d1.gif

Slightly off-thread (but then, crunched classic aircraft aren't a good topic) however, when I was in the SE highlands of PNG I had exactly the same thoughts but 180 degrees in reverse. I reckoned that some old-time Canadian bush pilots (provided they survived) could add an exciting chapter or two to their prowess diary by flying off some of those New Guinea strips. Thankfully I was only ballast at the time so carried no responsibility for getting anyone home alive but I am still in awe of those charter and God-botherer pilots who threw themselves at any hole in the sky.

• Like 1

Topics lookin fine, I had a strip in PNG as a screen saver for a while,,,,,hard to imagine taking a STOL aircraft in there ,these guys were in a twin otter I think!

Oh we're drifting off Met, I'm sure. But Ahlocks will jump in here and sort us out shortly. I haven't been to PNG since the late '70s, so I have no idea if the Twotters are still working up there the way they used to, but they were doing a damn fine job back in those days. A Canadian aircraft of course. But then, so was the 'Bou. Funny that...

Back to the topic, I was told that the left brake had some how locked early in the take off run. I did notice a tyre skid mark on the runway and across the dirt to validate this story. (Or he might have had a gyroscopic effect and touched the left brake instead of the right one.)

Better shut up, I might try one in the future and I bet there would be cameras

Its when you try them you realise how much more fun they are !!

• Like 1