Stinson into hangar at Wedderburn

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That ain't gonna be easy to fix... Bummer

Had heard it is a write off. The only thing re-usable is the tail group. Everything else is bent or twisted.

I suppose the engine should be OK after an inspection.

Sad to say, my company only just finished engine work on this plane. We had to chase all over the USA for cylinders.

The story that was related to us was that the pilot lifted the tail too early on the take-off run and gyroscopic forces took over, sending the plane off the runway. Why the power wasn't pulled, I don't know. Perhaps some panic induced inertia on the part of the pilot. Anyway, it continued away from the runway until it hit the hangar. Only injuries were a severely wounded Pride and deep lacerations to the hip pocket nerve.

The plane is a write off, but the engine may be OK.

Old Man Emu

• Like 1

Guest Maj Millard

What a bummer, can only hope it was insured at least. Anything can be rebuilt if someone has the money to do it.................................Maj...

Guest Maj Millard

Rubbish...pilots who can't handle them should !.............................The 108 Voyager is not what I would call a gutbusting taildragger, lack of proper pilot training I would suggest here.........................................Maj...013_thumb_down.gif.ec9b015e1f55d2c21de270e93cbe940b.gif

Rubbish...pilots who can't handle them should !.............................The 108 Voyager is not what I would call a gutbusting taildragger, lack of proper pilot training I would suggest here.........................................Maj...013_thumb_down.gif.ec9b015e1f55d2c21de270e93cbe940b.gif

Yep exactly, just imagine how a Pitts or Tiger Moth or a heap of other outstanding aircraft would look with a trainer wheel!!

• Like 1

Agree maj training is the problem was he low hours ?

• Like 1

Maybe the seat went back or something. You don't really know. Anything can be rebuilt especially planes that are constructed the way that one is. It is a question of cost. Steel tube fuselage and the wing can have the deformed parts replaced. I think the crank might have to be looked at OME.. They are getting hard to get for Franklins unless someone lately is doing something about making them. Nev

What a waste.. Nothing out of the ordinary for wedderburn however.

Ive seen things go on there that would make even the hardest of you cringe.

Despite being a challenging strip in even moderate winds, the culture is very, how do I say it...Lacking...

• Like 2

Yeah but you turkeys keep on banging them up. It's a bit like wanting to keep spoked buggy wheels and tillers on cars - they would be hard to handle too.

As far as I know, no insurance on the hull. I believe that the owners are keeping the engine for another project. So, the airframe could be repaired as a project, but getting a Franklin engine might prove difficult.

OME