What avionics do most people use and why?

furio

I was watching a video today of the Cessna Corvalis TTX. It has some amazing new Garmin avionics. This got me thinking about the wide range of avionics that's available these days, particularly for LSA, ultralights etc. So my question is what avionics (glass, dials, or a combo) do people prefer to use and why? How much automation eg autopilot, have you installed in your plane?

In my plane I use a combo, mixing dials and an EFIS as my primary display. I find this combo works well as it gives me the best of both worlds and I feel that I'm not being left behind with technology and I have a backup system should the EFIS go dark.

So would be interested to see what your thoughts are.

Cheers

I 've seen pilots line up at stalls wanting to convert to glass cockpits. They were selling faster than the popcorn. Eventually it will be cheaper to buy a vfr package in a glass display-the inside of your weed hopper will look like an A380 cockpit.

• Like 1

Dynon 10" Skyview in the RV-12, plus backup analogue ASI, alt and magnetic compass. Skyview is now standard equipment for the RV-12. I'm used to a Cessna panel, so it's going to take me a while to get my head around this new gear, but it's an amazing piece of equipment from what I've seen.

rgmwa

The sports star i hire has a EFIS that is a bit hard to read being one of the small ones. however i do set so i can see the wind dir and speed. it also has garmin GPS which is good for back up insturments and getting Lost. Also use my iphone as a back up GPS.

My Nynja has all "steam" type gauges. I prefer them because: I think it's easier to tell with just a glance that the T's & P's are in the green rather than have to decipher that I currently have 3.4Hpa of oil pressure and that my CHT is at 105.4 degrees C and that those numbers are ok, also if I want to allow someone to fly my plane (say for testing purposes) I don't have to give them a check ride first to understand how my particular glass panel works, finally, the mechanical gauges are highly visible in even the brightest direct sunlight and with even the darkest sunglasses on. Also, I think they make the plane look airplaneish rather than flightsimish. But that's just my preferences.

Are glass diplays really hard to read with sunglasses on?

[tech]

LCD's used in most display screens polarise the light. Most polaroid style glasses will cause issues when used to look at the displays as there is a possibility the two polarising filters between you and the light source (LCD backlight) will cancel out any light transmission or in lesser amounts change the colours on the screen.

If they are available try for AMOLED flight display screens as these do not polarise the light. Do not be confused by edge lit LCD's, commonly referred to as "edge lit LED" or other such advertising.

[/tech]

In other words, don't take your fishing sunnies flying. Normal "coloured" sunnies should be OK.

I have a MGL Extreme added recently to my cockpit and I have to say I am super impressed with it. Just a terrific instrument when mated with the proper AHRS and compass module. It will also do all engine monitoring but I don't use it for that. My prescription bifocal sunglasses I use I made sure they were NOT polarised and the MGL can be seen in any direct bright sunlight no shading or such. I will eventually change my panel to a MGL EFIS which I will keep and add a separate MGL EMS it looks the same and same size to do the engine monitoring I will also fit just a single ASI analogue. From what I have seen and heard the analogue gauges all fail just as much as electronic ones so the argument about failure etc doesnt come into it now days I feel. The 4.3 inch screen I thought maybe difficult to read but not so it is fantastic

Mark

• Caution 1

. -the inside of your weed hopper will look like an A380 cockpit.

There's a J170 at Goulburn that's fully kitted out. Owned by a guy who retails a lot of the systems so it's a bit of a "display wall" I suppose. I must say it does look unbelievable - kind of like the "tech guy" rooms on the NCIS-type shows!

I love the look of some of the integrated altimeter/VSI/ASI displays out there. That said at the end of it all I reckon the instruments are all basically gimmicks really. I remember being made to fly half a dozen circuits by my instructor some years ago with everything entirely covered up (I was spending too much time "inside the cockpit"). Don't really need any of it if you're comfortable in the aircraft you're flying.

For me i'm happy with the basic 6-pack of little dials. Don't have the time to invest in all the latest wizz-bangs but i'm more than happy floating around trying to figure out where I am on a map. Some fishermen have thousands of dollars worth of GPS-tracking electric trolling motors, full-colour depth sounders and rods/reels worth thousands of dollars but for my enjoyment it's a simple tinny and a thermos. Same goes with my flying.

• Like 1

[quote="68volksy, post: 237339, member: 543" (I was spending too much time "inside the cockpit"). .

When I saw hundreds of zombie like, mesmorized pilots line up at glass cockpit displays, I was wondering how they were going to fly their plane. The colours and hues, flickering numbers and subtle lighting floats you to their presence and to your wallet.

There are two main types of LCD displays:Transmissive and transflective. The transmissive displays are side (really back) lit and have a white or black back screen (depending on the display configuration). The transflective displays are also side/back lit, but have reflective back screens such that direct sunlight goes through the display and is reflected back up through it. These are the most readable displays in bright sunlight but unfortunately, not a lot of manufacturers use transflective displays. A good example of the two are: the Garmin 196-296-495 type GPS's have transflective displays but the new Garmin Aera GPS's have transmissive displays. When I was purchasing my 495, I had the opportunity to check out both and take them out of the store in the bright sun and compare.

Guest Howard Hughes

If I had an aircraft, it would be Garmin G3X for me, Google it! Simply amazing stuff and not that expensive really.

Are glass diplays really hard to read with sunglasses on?

Not a pilot yet, but I do have a tennis shop in the states. I sell a brand of sunglasses called Maxx HD. VERY inexpensive. UV protected, but not polarized. You might want to check to see if they are sold in Australia. The lenses are amazing and yes, they make them in aviator style. :-)

David

I had a Toyota Prius, with a similar style info panel, with a ton of integrated info about the engine and battery and fuel etc all in one neat display. I found it almost like playing a video game, the picture was so mesmerising I was often driving to influence the display rather than paying attention to the traffic and roads!

I also have the same problem when driving behind someone with those bloody back-seat DVDs for the kiddos... "ooo Lion King!"

so yeah, don't think I would put one in my plane if I had one. Give me a good set of analog gauges any day!

Sure is mesmerising. Found myself following the crowd to choose one , robotically reached for my wallet....it was empty! Good way to curb impulsive spending. Like to try it out someday. Maybe my dream Weed Hopper will be packed with the latest wiz bang stuff.

Not a pilot yet, but I do have a tennis shop in the states. I sell a brand of sunglasses called Maxx HD.

Hey David, what is your shop called? I was looking to buy some prescription sunglasses $1100 here, $400 in the US.

On the avionics I refuse to buy until it comes with a full Head-up display! 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif C'mon Dynon, you can do it....