Are you happy with the way that RAAus is administered by your elected representatives?

Captain

Are you satisfied with the managemnt, communication and governance by the Board and Exec of RAAus  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Are you satisfied with the managemnt, communication and governance by the Board and Exec of RAAus

• Yes, I'm rapt.
    • Yes, but it could be better.
    • No but they are gradually getting better.
    • No.
    • No, and I'm disillusioned

What about a poll item "I couldn't give a toss"?

Now before you jump up and down about this, I would hazard a guess that, if you could get the entire membership to vote, this item would win the poll. Why? Because all most people want to do, in my view, is fly, so they pay a 'licence' fee to do just that. And if it all caved in and RAAus ceased to exist, most, including me, would continue to do our own thing. Most people, in my view, don't want to know about all this BS going on - is it good or bad governance, has somebody taken a dislike to someone else, and so on. Most would not even know about the recent meeting, the changes to the constitution, or the threat of RAAus not existing; if there is such a threat.

Come to think of it - Wouldn't it be much better for a simple certificate/licence administration similar to your driver's licence and vehicle registration system? Then we could all go and join a social flying club to build our ivory towers!

I didn't vote in the poll!!!

Pud

PS. I did, for the first time, send in my votes to the AGM, for the constitutional changes.

• Like 8

How about another option of "Don't know enough to form an opinion"?

That would be my pick. Even at the meeting, I didn't get much of a read on the management who were there, but at least I was able to put some faces to names. I would like to hear more specifics from management, but they seem to talk more in general terms. I thought that the one specific point that I heard at the meeting about the "mistaken" grounding of the junior flyers wasn't very well addressed by those at the front table. It just seemed to get brushed aside, which disappointed me.

I'm eager to see the answers provided to David I's questions.

• Like 3

I've said it before,,the more time I spend flying and the less time I spend on forums ,the less all this stuff matters,some of what is going on is good but it's getting out of hand, I'd really be surprised if anyone ever wanted to serve on the board after the personal attacks they have to endure in silence!

Met

• Like 1

What about a poll item "I couldn't give a toss"?Now before you jump up and down about this, I would hazard a guess that, if you could get the entire membership to vote, this item would win the poll. Why? Because all most people want to do, in my view, is fly, so they pay a 'licence' fee to do just that. And if it all caved in and RAAus ceased to exist, most, including me, would continue to do our own thing. Most people, in my view, don't want to know about all this BS going on - is it good or bad governance, has somebody taken a dislike to someone else, and so on. Most would not even know about the recent meeting, the changes to the constitution, or the threat of RAAus not existing; if there is such a thyireat.

Come to think of it - Wouldn't it be much better for a simple certificate/licence administration similar to your driver's licence and vehicle registration system? Then we could all go and join a social flying club to build our ivory towers!

I didn't vote in the poll!!!

Pud

PS. I did, for the first time, send in my votes to the AGM, for the constitutional changes.

Well Pud, when you had problems with your aircraft, a lot of fellow aviators spent time patiently trying tot help you.

They could have said "Stuff Pud, all I want to do is fly.

So it's very disappointing to see you turn on them, not stand by and help them.

Spare a thought for the people who have bought 24 registered aircraft for flight training and had them downgraded to 19 - what do they do with those aircraft now?

There will be some who could lose their businesses.

This is market changing for some importers and builders

Even for private use, the real value for some aircraft after downgrading to 19 is going to drop

Spare a thought for Jabiru Phil who was grounded mid-trip and had to get a commercial flight home, along with the issues of storing his aircraft and getting back to it etc.

Should we all just sit back and ensure your days are not interrupted by minor matters like trying to fix things?

I've said it before,,the more time I spend flying and the less time I spend on forums ,the less all this stuff matters,some of what is going on is good but it's getting out of hand, I'd really be surprised if anyone ever wanted to serve on the board after the personal attacks they have to endure in silence!Met

I agree with you Met, but why are they silent? We're human, so the vacuum created by their silence will always be filled by speculation.

Will one of the Magnificenti Moderati please make that edit so that Mr Gknew doesn't lose any more sleep.

Haha, it was a bit cringeworthy but not a cause of sleep loss! Meh, spelling is relative these days anyway.

A little OT but as I see you like questions and polls this clip might excite, pretty funny:

Well Pud, when you had problems with your aircraft, a lot of fellow aviators spent time patiently trying tot help you.They could have said "Stuff Pud, all I want to do is fly.

So it's very disappointing to see you turn on them, not stand by and help them.

Spare a thought for the people who have bought 24 registered aircraft for flight training and had them downgraded to 19 - what do they do with those aircraft now?

There will be some who could lose their businesses.

This is market changing for some importers and builders

Even for private use, the real value for some aircraft after downgrading to 19 is going to drop

Spare a thought for Jabiru Phil who was grounded mid-trip and had to get a commercial flight home, along with the issues of storing his aircraft and getting back to it etc.

Should we all just sit back and ensure your days are not interrupted by minor matters like trying to fix things?

It seems I squeezed your 'Passion button' with my post TP. Well you squeezed mine as well, hence the reason that some time has gone by before I replied.

I won't be defending my opinion or my stance here but some clarification for you...

Polls on this forum have little value in my view, in the wider scheme of things because so few of the membership actually provide a view or cast a vote. That's why I didn't vote in the poll, not because there was not an option of "I couldn't give a toss", although I do believe most members wouldn't give a toss.

My suggestion of a 'a simple certificate/licence administration similar to your driver's licence and vehicle registration system' would actually prevent the current mess, and my comment 'Then we could all go and join a social flying club to build our ivory towers!' was to intimate the immunity from the current problems if the 'flying club' was having similar issues - the ramifications would not be far reaching. You didn't comment on this TP.

As for your comment 'So it's very disappointing to see you turn on them, not stand by and help them.', nothing could be further from the truth, but I don't intend justifying my stance to you.

I will state though that this forum and a lot of people in it, yourself included TP, gave me much help and support during my Thruster restoration project, for which I was, and still am, most grateful. It is why I am still on this forum and probably always will be, to contribute in some small way when I can.

Pud

• Like 7

Spare a thought for the people who have bought 24 registered aircraft for flight training and had them downgraded to 19 -

First time I have heard of this. What was the reason for the change of rego? I thought that 24 was factory manuf and 19 was home built, so it seems a rather large step to me, or was it that the maintenance was not kept up to the correct standard?

As far as having something like a drivers licence and being able to fly without RAAus, you have to change the government policy for that.

Guest Andys@coffs
Spare a thought for the people who have bought 24 registered aircraft for flight training and had them downgraded to 19 -First time I have heard of this. What was the reason for the change of rego? I thought that 24 was factory manuf and 19 was home built, so it seems a rather large step to me, or was it that the maintenance was not kept up to the correct standard?

As far as having something like a drivers licence and being able to fly without RAAus, you have to change the government policy for that.

Yenn, this was discussed at the AGM and to perhaps oversimplify, a number of aircraft were issued 24 rego on the basis of meeting the set criteria, but when the documentation was later audited the necessary pieces of info weren't all present. In some cases the needed docs could be found and provided to RAAus, in other cases the initial issue of 24 was erroneous and the necessary documentation could not be provided. The only (or easy) solution to that was to reregister as 19. The problem in doing that is if you purchadsed 24 for a specific reason, whether precieved greater resale value and / or the ability to put the aircraft on line for training purposes then that avenue is lost and perhaps an additional premium paid when the aircraft was originally purchased has been lost.

Agree with your last point, believing that CASA will allow unsupervised/controlled flying is simply dreaming. When CASA loose interest in model aircraft then perhaps it might be that we would be next, but Ive yet to see that 1st step take place.

Andy

Management, communication, governance and transparency......

Were any of these terms written into the rules?

Unfortunately too many of us were preoccupied with flying to take part in the running of things.

"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men (or femmes) to do nothing"

I confess to allowing my own apathy to contribute to things evolving as they have done.

Pete