6 seat RA aircraft?

G'Day All,

Im new to this and havn't started learning how to fly yet. My question relates to limitations placed on licenses and the aircraft that one can fly with them. Firstly, can one fly 3 passengers around on a RA licnence? if so, is their a relatively inexpensive aircraft that can do it? Preferably home build

Thanks guys :)

G'Day All,Im new to this and havn't started learning how to fly yet. My question relates to limitations placed on licenses and the aircraft that one can fly with them. Firstly, can one fly 3 passengers around on a RA licnence? if so, is their a relatively inexpensive aircraft that can do it? Preferably home build

Thanks guys :)

Hi Toby, No only one passenger so all RAA aircraft have only one or two seats with a max TOW of up to 600kgs.

I would suggest you look at doing a PPL then maybe check out the SAAA if you want to build. You can build some nice 4 seat aircraft from kits, the Vans RV10 is one such example.

Cheers

Great, thanks. Yes I just spoke to someone about doing a PPL through Bunbury airport in WA. My plan is to be able to fly out from Perth and explore regional WA. Do you know of any kit aircraft that can carry between 4-6 aircraft and have STOL capabilities?

Great, thanks. Yes I just spoke to someone about doing a PPL through Bunbury airport in WA. My plan is to be able to fly out from Perth and explore regional WA. Do you know of any kit aircraft that can carry between 4-6 aircraft and have STOL capabilities?

4-6 aircraft would be pretty heavy and you'd need a big fuselage to fit them all inside ;)

6 POB is the limit for a PPL and I don't know of any kit six seaters, there is a Gippsland airvan built here in Australia that has some stol ability and plenty of room but it's a large plane compared to RAA aircraft.

Go for a fly in something and see what it's all about, Flying all the friends and family around at once could be really expensive. planes have to be very light for thier size to be able to fly easily.

Toby

Plenty of 6 seaters around, Cessna 206, Cessna 210, piper lance, bonanza. If you're looking for the best stol, out landing (rough strips) and loading you can't go past a 206. It will cost you anywhere from $150k up depending on the age of the aircraft and times left to run on the engine and prop, they use approx 60 lts/ hour ($120) depending on where you get your fuel.

I own a J230 same aircraft as the 430 without the rear two (2) seats and regularly use pretty rough strips without any issues just need to be careful with the nose wheel and take the spats off all wheels.

You will find that you are pretty limited as far as loading goes with any of the light aircraft if you are going to put bums on all seats.

Hullo Toby.

Could I suggest you ditch the fantasies right from the start. STOL is nothing more than a marketing term from the USA (naturally). If you want short take-off, you won't be carrying a payload. If you want to land on a sixpence you will need something with big wings. Guess what...? That means slow. Slow means you don't get far on a tank of juice and a decent headwind will ruin your trip. Your friends will wonder why they didn't drive.

Aviation is full of dangerous traps for unwary pilots and their unfortunate passengers. At this stage, the best thing to do is study your theory books and resolve to gain the maximum understanding of how aircraft work. Why not work your way through the John Brandon Tutorials? They are on-line, free and full of good gen'. Bargain!

It is not advisable to think of building a kit until you have developed a well rounded knowledge of aviation. You need to understand the trade-offs in aircraft design so as to make reasoned decisions.

Speaking of good trade-offs... Cessna 206. STOL when lightly loaded. Can haul a load under less than ideal circumstances. Has a fair turn of real, useable speed, without the wings coming off in turbulence. Good range on a tank of juice. Fixed undercarriage. Can be taxied through a gate. Plentiful.

Good luck!

• Like 4

A better option would probably be to build/buy a 2 seater and hire a 6 seater for the trips (if you really need to take that many people). That will save you a heap of hard-earned cash that could be better spent on other things.

rgmwa

• Like 5

G'Day Toby, There IS a true (not marketing hype) STOL kit aircraft with four seats. See: http://www.zenithair.com/stolch801/index1.html

Guest Howard Hughes

Surely you jest Planedriver? The Aztec is a great aircraft, what other aircraft can carry six people, enough fuel for about 7 hours and get airborne from runways well under 600M?

Aztecs ROCK!!punk.gif.8eee8803f8302b5104f398dabaa56470.gif

Footnote: I have just realised the age of many of the contributees on this forum, when I said "Aztecs ROCK", I didn't mean the band led by Billy Thorpe, although they were OK. 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Try the Murphy Moose. Its a kit plane, can be set up for 6 and if you get the radial it looks the part of a beaver.

http://www.pattersonaerosales.com/Aircraft/Moose/MooseDesc.html

Fly commercially or hire an aircraft if you want more than two seats.

I have people I know who are interested in flying, but you know how many hours of passenger time I've logged this year? Four hours. Out of over 80 hours flown.

Start learning to fly first and worry about being able to take people with you later.

Cheers - boingk

Surely you jest Planedriver? The Aztec is a great aircraft, what other aircraft can carry six people, enough fuel for about 7 hours and get airborne from runways well under 600M?Aztecs ROCK!!punk.gif.8eee8803f8302b5104f398dabaa56470.gif

Footnote: I have just realised the age of many of the contributees on this forum, when I said "Aztecs ROCK", I didn't mean the band led by Billy Thorpe, although they were OK. 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

My next door neighbour used to fly them commercially around Europe in air-taxi work, and he reckoned that you needed a prayer book in one hand on take-off, anywhere near approaching maximum take-off weight. Mind you, that was the early model that only had the 125hp 0290D Lycoming engines.

There must have been good reason why they upgraded the 125hp engines to 150hp, then 160hp, then 235hp and finally 250hp each.

I flew with him a few times in the early days, but as a kid, I wouldn't have known whether the engines were calibrated in horsepower, or chookpower, to me it was just a buzz to go flying in an airybuzzer.

I can imagine, that it they doubled the grunt powering the fans, it would have made a hell of a difference.