Motor Type Max Power HP Weight KG

Jabiru 2200 80 62.8

UL260i 97 72.3

UL260iS 107 72.3

UL260iF 100 72.3

UL350i 118 78.4

UL350iS 130 78.4

Jabiru 3300 120 83.5

Another alternative engine to consider is the D-Motor from Belgium.

93HP four stroke, same weight as a Rotax 582, TBO 1500 hrs, no gearbox, direct drive.

http://d-motor1.vpweb.be/Price---product-specifications.html

When you take into account the extra maintenance costs associated with the Jabiru the Rotax doesn't work out to be that much more expensive. ......

I have no opinion either way regarding Jabiru motors as I have no persoanl experience, however it does seem that they need mor frequent maintenance than the Rotax equivalents and anyone using their aircraft for commecrcial purposes will also need to factor in the cost of the associated downtime.

I wonder what that does to the operating margins?

I am also happy to compile this info for everyone to see without an biased opinion.

After all that is what this forum is supposed to be about. Using the vast knowledge and experience of all here so that we can all make our own decissions rather than have to read all the negative critism that always seems to find its way here.

Safe Flying

JabSP6

I hope it keeps that way!

I get that Team Jabiru don't like my participation on these threads, how have these threads actually helped you? Don't they just reinforce your belief that Jabiru are safe and economical alternative to Rotax?

These threads help with solutions to problems. They also help to identify problems in both planes ane people

I wonder how many Jab engines are flying in the USA. I regularly check a few web sites on US flying and while people talk about the jab engine I havn't seen any bad reports. there is at least one aircraft type flying in the US with a Jab engine and the manufacturer changed from Rotax to Jab, for reasons unknown to me.

• More 1

I have no opinion either way regarding Jabiru motors as I have no persoanl experience, however it does seem that they need mor frequent maintenance than the Rotax equivalents and anyone using their aircraft for commecrcial purposes will also need to factor in the cost of the associated downtime.I wonder what that does to the operating margins?

There is a beauty little J120 here in Charters Towers, was talking to the owner the other week about this subject, and his eyes lit up, then proceeded to tell me in the 200+ hrs he has done in it since new, it has cost him(averaged out) $450 per hr on the motor, now that is about half the cost of rotax right there. to say he is p*ssed was an understatment.

Interesting maths. 200 hours at $450 per hour is $90,000. Are you sure about this statement?

I checked the maths with my electronic number box and it gave the answer $90,000. The calculation seems to be OK.078_pc_revenge.gif.92f2d38a0e662b2e0b6cba4dc0ba5c35.gif

• Like 1

Interesting maths. 200 hours at $450 per hour is $90,000. Are you sure about this statement?

Yeah sorry typo, ment to be $45.00, 9k, the last little bit cost him near 5 k in one hit.

actually i wish it was $450, i could be doing all his work and be happy 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

• Like 1

Dazza

I have done a bit more research into the UL prices and even rang the Aussie Dealer (Les Elliott)

The UL350is comes in at $21400.

Then Les said you need the accessories kit $2000.

GST has to be paid $2340

Freight to Aus he said is around $1700

So this motor adds up to around $27440 here is Aus.

Then you need to sort out a Motor Mount as the 2200 motor mount he believe is not suitable.

The UL260is comes in at $17200

Total including accessories, GST and Freight is $22820 here is Aus.

I hope this helps.

Safe Flying

JabSP6

• Like 2

The availability of a lot of prop choices is an advantage with the 912 's. there is no doubt that the Jab 6 does put out the power claimed.. There are some prop options with it too..Nev

Hi Nev, are three blade props able to be fitted to the Jab 3300 engine? I was of the understanding that Jab recommended all their engines should be used with wooden two blade units. I certainly have seen three blade units on some 19 registered aircraft with Jab engines.

Cheers

I can say that a J230 with a 912S if fitted with C/S prop will perform well, at least as well as a Jab3300 engine.In my opinion a very viable alternative if someone wants to develop a STC for it. Tom

In flight adjustable prop you mean, can't fit a constant speed to any of our engines unless they are lycomings or continentals.

The U/L (and other European motors suitable D-Motor, Metalwork etc) would need to be certified before even an STC mod could be considered.Does anyone know if the importers/factories of any are considering Australian certification?

the D-MOTOR Is a direct fit for the 2200Jab about 16500k to Auz side valve and puts out nearly 100hp @ 3200rpm now same weight nearly slightly lighter fitted, 2000hr TBO fuel injected smooth as safer with side valve if you get a failure fly on 3 without any risk ,has certification in Europe certification data is ok for all the overseas Airframes so why would engines be any different, this engine looks good and is a real contender for the 85 to 100hp needs even the Jab 6 power to weight and tourge output is broad and higher max hp comes on early and remains flat typical sidevalve love low revs which is ideal sorry about typos

I think you are forgetting the Viking/Honda motor, something like $17000? landed (someone correct me please) Now called the Viking 110 alluding to the hp I believe. 100 now engines delivered. Haven't heard of any failures, yet....Looks just great if you can forgive Jan Eggenfella his previous mistakes?....Weights just spot on for the J230....who will be first?......

I think you are forgetting the Viking/Honda motor, something like $17000? landed (someone correct me please) Now called the Viking 110 alluding to the hp I believe. 100 now engines delivered. Haven't heard of any failures, yet....Looks just great if you can forgive Jan Eggenfella his previous mistakes?....Weights just spot on for the J230....who will be first?......

Sloper, on this forum, is fitting one to a Morgan Sierra he is building.

Alan.