New Bolly Sky Blazer with Harley Engine

Bolly (the prop people) are bringing out a kit aircraft with a Harley air cooled 90hp 4 stroke V Twin (120hp option) engine. Specs are :-

MT weight 295 kg.

MTOW 600 kg

Length 6650mm

Wing span 11.05m

Cabin width 1260mm

115kts full power cruise

Over 100kts economy cruise

Fuel burn 15ltrs/hr @ 90kts

Fuel capacity 175 litres again 175 litres

Endurance 11 hrs

Stall clean below 45kts

Stall landing config below :38 kts

Payload inc. fuel 305kg

Factory assembly commences Jan 2013

Sky Blazer kit will include.

Complete airframe all aluminium f/glass and CF construction

Engine

Prop Bolly 72" 2 blade ground adjustable with spinner

Complete wiring loom landing lights full digital instruments VHF transceiver, headsets

Dual control with elevator trim GA style yoke

Tricycle undercarriage castor nose wheel

Folding wings

Estimated price $49,650 + battery and paint

Approx $60,000 with build assist

Sounds like a bargain... www.skyblazeraircraft.com

Harley engine...yum, lots and lots of trick options and the sound......potato potato potato.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a harley?

From their web sight

"The engine selected for our Prototype Sky Blazer is a 96 cubic inch v-twin with balance shafts Based on the Harley Davidson Twin Cam 96B engine. This engine will have some modifications to suit aviation"

Seen the engine, pretty well straight HD main difference seems to be engine is balanced to try and eliminate vibrations, different output obviously to accommodate reduction drive.

slow revving, light, powerful and the twin cams are very reliable.... this has been argued before but im still all for it.

there was a manufacturer in the states doing just this who posted a video, sounded better than a radial. cant remember the name though

Ahhh, HD V twins...

Don't so much "idle", as "fail to stall".

I would be interested to see how they go about balancing a very unbalanced engine, then try to get a roughly equal torque output from the shaft. It's going to play hell with any props on the front, even with a PSRU.

I would have thought taking the cylinders and heads and machining up a new bottom end for them would have been a good start.

• Like 1

I have always thought the Harley Twin Cam would make a good engine for an LSA. Having had Harley's for many many years the motors have just got better and better. Far more reliable, plenty of torque, the Twin Cams particularly are easy to work on and service. Parts are easy to come by and not at a ridiculous price. Air cooled comparatively light at about 60-80kgs depending on config. The 96B of course goes a long way to dampening down vibration with its chain driven counter balances. Balance the flywheels and you have a vibration free motor (just about). They will be rubber mounting the motor in the Sky Blazer and voila. Can't wait to see one. Gimme gimme gimme.

• Like 1

A couple of years ago I had an Ebay alert, you know those daily emails you get when you click save search in ebay, for a PSRU turn up an item for auction, 1x low hour PSRU to suit harley V-twin good condition, clicked through on the sellers other items and he was also auctioning an entire S&S engine in pieces apart from the block and a conrod...

Most of the later HD engines run balancer shafts.(2)If you rubber mount the engine there is hardly any vibration at all. Most aircraft engines are rubber mounted and some move around quite a bit. The V twin is an unequally firing engine, by 50 or 60 degrees which is not the end of the world. I wouldn't mind betting that if it was mounted correctly it could put up with a direct drive. The tip speed might preclude this as it would have to do a fair amount of revs to get the power they are talking about. I would expect it to be fairly economical as the majority of bearing are ball or roller. Nev

Most of the later HD engines run balancer shafts.(2)If you rubber mount the engine there is hardly any vibration at all. Most aircraft engines are rubber mounted and some move around quite a bit. The V twin is an unequally firing engine, by 50 or 60 degrees which is not the end of the world. I wouldn't mind betting that if it was mounted correctly it could put up with a direct drive. The tip speed might preclude this as it would have to do a fair amount of revs to get the power they are talking about. I would expect it to be fairly economical as the majority of bearing are ball or roller. Nev

My experience with rubber engine mounts started with my eyeballs bouncing like tennis balls and blurred vision (using softer mounts) and smoothing out with Holden rear gearbox mounts which were a lot stiffer, so I'm suggesting some experimenting with various rubber compounds may break up the harmonics

One would hope they know what they are doing, or presumedly they wouldn't bother. Thank heaven for people who are willing to have a go despite the naysayers or where would we be?? (Rhetorical question, doesn't need an answer).

I have been informed by Bolly that the prototype will be ready early-mid 2013. My name is down for one, all I need do now is save my pennies.

• Like 1