UL Power 130 hp engine

HI pete

that was my post about the 130 hp ul ,we have just put a deposit on 1 from Vic supplier ,cost approx 30,000 with everything included ,new out of box , low reving engine 330 max (rotax 5600,viking 5400,corvair 3300) these are the only engines that we considered .the ul is fuel injected ,no carb ie no ice ,ecu,s control x 2, fuel burn who cares ,fuel is the cheapest cost of the plane ,we are building a Morgan Sierra and this power plant suits it, as for relyability we cannot find any problems so far in Europe or USA

cheers gareth

• Like 2

it will be very interesting to see these engines over the next few years, the only negative I've heard is they're a bit 'large 'with HP figures, if the 115 HP is a good thing I will be looking at one

Met

HI petethat was my post about the 130 hp ul ,we have just put a deposit on 1 from Vic supplier ,cost approx 30,000 with everything included ,new out of box , low reving engine 330 max (rotax 5600,viking 5400,corvair 3300) these are the only engines that we considered .the ul is fuel injected ,no carb ie no ice ,ecu,s control x 2, fuel burn who cares ,fuel is the cheapest cost of the plane ,we are building a Morgan Sierra and this power plant suits it, as for relyability we cannot find any problems so far in Europe or USA

cheers gareth

This is exactly the setup and aircraft I will be looking at in the next 12 months..

Only problem noted according to their website was an issue with the orientation of the mounting of the ECU case - some people were mounting it in such a way as to allow the ingress of moisture.

http://www.ulpower.com/

Also has the engine torque/power curves which seem to be rather healthy, compared with Jab and Rotax

Hi Damkia

They have used them in corvus planes , there was a report that it didnt come up to required hp ,but i read that they have fixed that problem ie 140 hrs on a test bed at full revs

not long before it arrives and it is in

Cheers gareth:spot on:

They have a comprehensive site. It is quite a meritorious effort to do it in the time. I honestly don't know how good they are but they didn't try to make a cheapy , and it isn't cheap. It's a different concept to a Rotax 912. It looks a professional job. well finished.. Nev

HI petethat was my post about the 130 hp ul ,we have just put a deposit on 1 from Vic supplier ,cost approx 30,000 with everything included ,new out of box , low reving engine 330 max (rotax 5600,viking 5400,corvair 3300) these are the only engines that we considered .the ul is fuel injected ,no carb ie no ice ,ecu,s control x 2, fuel burn who cares ,fuel is the cheapest cost of the plane ,we are building a Morgan Sierra and this power plant suits it, as for relyability we cannot find any problems so far in Europe or USA

cheers gareth

Hi Gareth, thanks. On paper these engines look fantastic, but pricey. it will be interesting to hear about the quality of service & support. Did you consider the Lycoming O-233?

cheers

Peter

Hi Peter

yes we did but the time it would have taken to order and get it here would have meant that 3 months from time of order and was only 116 hp ( i think )and we are more in control of an engine in oz money wise

cheers gareth

David it is the 4 cylinder 350is 130 hp empty wieght 80 kilos approxcheers gareth

Do us all a favor and hang it on a scale and take photos for all to see once you open it please, i am really interested to see how close they are to the weight.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

I seem to recall they had some issues during testing (unrelated to the UL engine) and sold the plane for a bargain price, so the next owner would probably be the one to ask.

aircraft flew engine purred, test pilot said a very smooth engine and good redings on temps chts etc and the power to weight was vert good , however I broke the plane on taxing pilot induced idiot

I am planning to get a superstol kit from just aircraft .I am doing my home work on engines which is rather confusing, to get real info on engines that I am interested in.

Plus the dollar is not helping.

I am doing my home work on engines which is rather confusing, to get real info on engines that I am interested in.

Well when you think about it, this being the largest Rec Flying forum in Oz, the UL dealer isn't here, neither are Floods, neither is the Rotax dealer. neither is Jabiru ...

Mind you I know first hand the nonsense you get hit with, so it's damned if you do, damned if you don't.

• Agree 1

Well when you think about it, this being the largest Rec Flying forum in Oz, the UL dealer isn't here, neither are Floods, neither is the Rotax dealer. neither is Jabiru ...Mind you I know first hand the nonsense you get hit with, so it's damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Yep and Just because they don't post doesn't mean they don't take note of or read the forums.