Now one near a school! Ballarat

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crash in Ballarat Victoria near school.

Yahoo news reports the plane as a " two-engine Cessna".

The aircraft looks like a 2 seat ultalight similar to a Euofox with 24 Registration.

Either the photo is incorrect or Ra-aus now allows registration of heavier aircraft.

Or perhaps poor reporting.....

Funniest looking 2 engine Cessna I've ever seen

Quote from the news report:

"The two-engine Cessna clipped power lines before crashing into a field at Cape Clear Primary School, Cape Clear, about 1.50pm."

This photo from here:

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/breaking/16254045/plane-makes-emergency-landing-in-schoolyard/

1300283920_Ballaratlanding.jpg.30692ebda9c959030e4e189c9c796b7c.jpg

Could be a power line in the undercarriage?

Just returned from the scene. Not in the school yard, in the paddock next door.

Pilot and Pax checked by the ambo's 100% OK. Can't say the same for the Savannah though.

Precautionary landing when the weather closed in around them

Saw every power line except the one you can see in the photo above.

No more speculation from me. Leave the rest up to the investigators.

See ya,

Ding.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 1

This one probably doesn't need an investigator Ding, the second last line probably pings it as pure bad luck.

Not surprising they would have to put down either, it's a very unstable day in Victoria as you can see from the photos - blue sky one minute, down to the ground and thunderstorms the next.

Spent some time today under Moorabbin's Carrum entry point which is uncomfortably close to the southern coastal approach to Melbourne. With airshow traffic around there was a complete overlap with aircraft going in all directions. At one stage a southbound executive jet missed a northbound DC3 by maybe a couple of hundred metres, with the DC3 in VMC but the jet in IMC charging through about 5 octas.

• Informative 1

I've never been able to understand the preoccupation of the media with light aircraft accidents especially since they rarely seem to know what they are talking about. I once read a report in an Australian newspaper about a Pitts Special that made a forced landing at an intersection in Oshkosh Wisconsin, thats about the same as reporting an Australian single car accident in the Chicago Herald (or whatever their newspaper is called) Must admit though I am curious how they managed to do that to the wings!

• Agree 1

But HOW do you manage to bend the wings like that?

Thought it has done well. The centre section is intact out to both of the strut attach points. From there they appear to be crushed. Nev

Must admit though I am curious how they managed to do that to the wings!

I thought it was both wings too but careful check of the pics show it is only the port wing (with rego numbers) that is bent. In the photo of starboard side of plane you can see the starboard wingtip and undamaged starboard aileron/flapperon.

I'd love to have a look at the failure mode of that port wing, I just can't fathom such a multiple failure. Does that indicate the spar failing in buckling (twisting outboard of the struts)? Or compression failure because the plane hit the ground stationary and knife-edge on the port wingtip? Beats me! Can anyone tell me the spar type on the Savannah? Folded C section with aly sheet D nose?

[quote="Ding, post: 278214,

Precautionary landing when the weather closed in around them

Saw every power line except the one you can see in the photo above.

Ding.

Bloody BadLuck!! gotta watch those SWER lines .....ya CAN'T see the buggas !..........050_sad_angel.gif.66bb54b0565953d04ff590616ca5018b.gif

• Agree 1

[quote="Head in the clouds, post: 278239,

Can anyone tell me the spar type on the Savannah? Folded C section with aly sheet D nose?

25 thou web with 3/4 X 3/4 X 0.1 spar caps .....058_what_the.gif.7624c875a1b9fa78348ad40493faf23c.gif

They hit a powerline the plane has come down on the wing and folded it up then the nose has impacted. The mainspar is alu sheet riveted to top and bottom angle alu the spar is very strong and not made by the builder it is supplied completed by ICP. The plane has hit the wire and ended up with the wing hitting the ground that is why it is floded over like that..the struts are intact and so is most...pretty good outcome I would think...shows just how strong the aircraft are