You just KNOW you're only a weekend pilot when. . . . .

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Howard Hughes
Same here! Pull back time 6am... 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Luckily you'll be well back on the ground when I get airborne! 2000 start for me, sadly that's not UTC! 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gifPS: Pull back, the houses get smaller! 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

Ben87r, no I'm a REAL controller, I work at Adelaide Tower and fly out of Aldinga.

Hi Patrick,

I knew an approach controller at Tullamarine long ago, after about a year at it, the poor guy had developed a nervous tick and most of his hair had fallen out !! He also looked ten years older.

One of my radio Ham friends worked there in maintenence and he commented about the unusually high number of controller's headsets which came down to his workshop for repair after the approach / radar guys had been constantly "wiggling" the leads where they plug into the work station in case they missed a radio call. . . . .

I've always had REAL respect for people who choose that career. . .

Phil

We've even ( seriously ) had a guy here in the UK who reckons he can use his Iphone with the Guiness beer glass app stuck on his trike panel, and he says he can fly in cloud by keeping the beer level.

....until the velcro lets go under the g-forces and the eye-phone disappears out of sight.

• Like 1

....until the velcro lets go under the g-forces and the eye-phone disappears out of sight.

That would be nearly as funny to watch as the bloke who flew with the new cordless headset in the open cockpit until it flew right off his head, you would have to see it to fully appreciate it.

• Like 1

Thanks Phil, I've worked Essendon, Mackey, Avalon and Mackay towers, I take a very casual, relaxed approach, while being professional but I don't really stress a great deal, I love the job a great deal, I am fully immersed in aviation, I just love the freedom we have.

• Like 2

Thanks Phil, I've worked Essendon, Mackey, Avalon and Mackay towers, I take a very casual, relaxed approach, while being professional but I don't really stress a great deal, I love the job a great deal, I am fully immersed in aviation, I just love the freedom we have.

That's really good to hear Patrick,. . . I've only ever had cross words with a controller once, and to be honest he was probably right ( ! ) . . in the main, they all seem to be doing a job that they like.

May you keep your hair for many years to come ! ! ! !

Phil

You just KNOW you're only a weekend pilot when. . . . .Umm you only fly on the week ends ?? 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Obvious, now that you mention it. 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif But if you're not a weekend pilot does that make you a weak... err .. week.. pilot?

rgmwa

• Like 1

You just KNOW you're only a weekend pilot when. . . . .Umm you only fly on the week ends ?? 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Geez. . . . .

All these posts, and we missed the most obvious one.

Give that man a candy floss and a goldfish in a plastic bag !, oh, and that pink teddy off the top shelf as well.

Well done Bones. You DA MAN !

• Like 2

I just watched an old Yank movie called "Pushing Tin" about some controllers in the USA, . . . . I wonder how many people could REALLY remember where all their aircraft were when the radar screens all went blank, and they had to run to a phone and give all the details to another ATC unit with radar. . . . . . .

Makes you wonder when you're on your Easyjet flight on your vacation to Spain or somewhere what these guys on the ground are actually doing ? ? ? In the case of France, . . .well. . . they're usually on strike for some reason or another ! ! !

That shouldn't worry Our Patrick, as a "Tower" controller in the UK is only responsible for what he / she can see. . . . ie, car-park control. . . . . it's the guys / gals in the dungeon on the radars who have most of the stress !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dunno how it works in OZ, as I never worked ATC there !

Phil

Guest Howard Hughes
I wonder how many people could REALLY remember where all their aircraft were when the radar screens all went blank, and they had to run to a phone and give all the details to another ATC unit with radar. . . . . . .

The pilots wouldn't worry, they'd seperate themselves!TIBA style....017_happy_dance.gif.8a199466e9bd67cc25ecc8b442db76ba.gif

The pilots wouldn't worry, they'd seperate themselves!

Yes. We do it all the time! There is not a control tower for over 600km in any direction from here.

We just look out the window and listen to the radio (VHF aircraft band - not JJJ 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif).

DWF 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

Yes. We do it all the time! There is not a control tower for over 600km in any direction from here.We just look out the window and listen to the radio (VHF aircraft band - not JJJ 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif).

DWF 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

WOT ? . . . . No 2 metre Ham Band ?? I used to have chats with loads of radio hams situated in the bush all over the place on channel 40, 50 and 51, ( vhf FM ) great when you can't raise a ground aeronautical station on vhf. . . There used to be loads of those old VINTEN taxi rigs whcih had been crystalled for the 2 metre band, but you had to pick up the mike, and wait thirty seconds whilst the heaters warmed up in the valves before the damned things would transmit . . . ( Valves, you youngsters ask ? what're valves ?? ). . . . It DID require the passing of a simple exam in radio technology,, but they've dumbed that down in the UK now, possibly in Australia as well ? Perhaps some of the hams on here can let me know what the current licencing situation is. . .

Then there was "Smoke Net" the CFA always had a chat if you'd got no one else to talk to to while away the hours in't outback. . . . bordering on mildly illegal of course, but very useful anyway.

It was easier than winding out the HF wire antenna 142 turns and messing around on the snap crackle and pop bands to raise Darwin Flight service anyhow. . . Does Flight Service ( used to be called Air Radio ) still exist ? ( and YES I do remember Alan's ( head in clouds ) somewhat negative experience with them some time ago. . . ! )

Guest Howard Hughes
Thank God for TCAS ?

Note from the manufacturer: TCAS is NOT to be used for separation! But it's great for helping build the mental picture, after all it's similar to the way the ATCers do it! 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

PS: You know you're a weekend pilot, when you don't have TCAS! 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

Note from the manufacturer: TCAS is NOT to be used for separation! But it's great for helping build the mental picture, after all it's similar to the way the ATCers do it! 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

I wondered why the plane was getting closer, then it hit me....