You just KNOW you're only a weekend pilot when. . . . .

"You Just KNOW you're only a weekend pilot when . . . . "

You just inadvertently flew your trike into a solid deck of stratus with only a rev counter, an altimeter and an old hand held radio on a bit of velcro on the dash. . . . with wet gloves, . . . shortly followed by Pants. . . . .

• Like 1

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Howard Hughes

I'm know nothing of trikes, but with that big pendulum slung under the wing, surely they are 'self righting'! 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

How does anyone "inadvertently" fly into a "solid deck of stratus"? Isn't that a bit like walking into a brick wall on a bright sunny day?

I've done the second more than once - perhaps I really should start worrying about the first!

Guest Howard Hughes

I'm only a weekend pilot, however I do try to fly mostly at night, to avoid all of the other 'weekend pilots'! 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

You know your a weekend pilot when you work all week under clear blue skies only to sit there weeping into your Friday beers as the wind picks up, the clouds roll in, the rain starts to fall and the forecast in 5 knots variable , cavok,,,,,,FOR MONDAY

• Like 1

How does anyone "inadvertently" fly into a "solid deck of stratus"? Isn't that a bit like walking into a brick wall on a bright sunny day?

I once knew someone who walked into a tree while reading and was silly enough to come and tell me because he thought my laughter was all about him! So anything is possible.

I'm know nothing of trikes, but with that big pendulum slung under the wing, surely they are 'self righting'! 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Errr, . . .No Howard, they don't work like that although I can see where you're coming from if you have not flown them.

My "Old" trike ( Mainair Gemini Flash 2 ) can be spiralled out of cloud for a limited vertical distance, BUT the spiral soon develops into a much steeper "corkscrew" and the 89 mph VNE would be exceeded quite soon, and it would alter wing config into a swept back dacron dart fairly quickly, once around 120 - 130 mph was reached. . . . The later model ( Flash 2 ALpha ) has a different wing, which can be spiralled in a stable condition holding around 45 deg angle of bank and will not increase speed above approximately 70 - 75 mph. his is a useful get out of jail card, assuming you were not scud running thru some high ground before you inadvertantly. . . . . . . .

I can't comment about the new fancy nitro - garlic injected four cylinder hotships which richer people fly,. . . . . Maybe those pilots have to be as careful as you lot appear to be ( from your posts ) and not do anything as silly as inadvertantly fly into any brick walls . . . .

Phil

How does anyone "inadvertently" fly into a "solid deck of stratus"? Isn't that a bit like walking into a brick wall on a bright sunny day?I once knew someone who walked into a tree while reading and was silly enough to come and tell me because he thought my laughter was all about him! So anything is possible.

If you never fly in marginal viz, then you'll never fly into anything other than nice sunshine, inadvertantly or not. . . .

Around 2 weeks ago, I had cause to stop my car and scrape a young girl off the pavement. She had, according to a witness, walked into a lamp post whilst texting on her phone. She actually broke her nose. I guess then that if you fly in poor viz, then spend too much time with your head in the cabin messing around reprogramming your supercolourmapnavvythingy, then this is also termed "Distraction"

I admit to having flown into not only Cumulus, but Stratocu AND the edge of a CuNim as well , whilst doing something else and not looking out of the bloody front window. "He who is without sin. . . etc. . . etc. . . . "

I DID, of course, write to the appropriate authorities after landing on each occasion and report myself for this indiscretion. . . . . .

• Winner 1

Sorry Howard, I forgot to mention in the first reply that it isn't possible to hold straight and level in a trike when deprived of visibility either, WHATEVER YOU MAY HAVE BEEN TOLD BY OTHERS . . . Not until some enterprising person comes up with a working Artificial Horizon for trikes. . . . . ( AND AN IMC RATING SO THE PILOT KNOWS HOW TO INTERPRET WHAT IT SAYS. . .) this one has been done to death on forums for many years, where do you place the sensor, ? In the trike pod ? In the Wing ?? and what sort of weight would all the neccessary DeIcing kit add to the airframe ??

We've even ( seriously ) had a guy here in the UK who reckons he can use his Iphone with the Guiness beer glass app stuck on his trike panel, and he says he can fly in cloud by keeping the beer level.

OK it's obviously a laugh, but I wonder how many impressionable young pilots would read such dross and believe it. . . . . ( Ian, . . . dyou think it would work better with a BEX Beer glass App ? )

Stop it, I'm laughing so hard it hurtz.

Don't think they are worse than a helicopter. ( Which also has a mass under the wing). On a more serious note surely they will spiral? Nev

Yes they will Nev, see posts on that. . . Phil

And I forgot to mention in those posts that the Spiral dive, as a means of salvation anyway, is currently NOT taught to students in the UK as far as I am aware, this comes under the banner of "Advanced flight training "

You just KNOW you're a weekend pilot when. . . . .

AN innocent non-flying onlooker at your airfield says to you. . . . "Did you just land,. . . or were you shot down ?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2