Suspend an aircraft from the ceiling

it gets worse, abandoned flyable fw190 replica...P1120528.jpg

WHY oh why would anybody abandon such a machine (unless because of insurmountable estate executor problems, having to hide it from an ex-wife or bankruptcy administrator)? More details please F.T. 'cause the wife is away O'seas for another fortnight (I'll teach her all about leaving me at home on my own!).

• Haha 1

I'm interested to know if anyone has suspended an ultralight from their hanger ceiling ? What set-up did you use, did you use a dolly frame above, what cables or pulleys did you use. I'm looking to suspend an aircraft of about 130kg total.

A lot of the tool shops sell inexpensive fabric slings (usually rated over 1t and $10-15), that with 2 pulleys and an inexpensive boat winch from BCF. Would work a treat, I use the slings in my workshop for hanging wings and the like up near the ceiling or on the wall.

• Informative 1

We "Hung" our kit built X'Air from the main fuse tube balance point with a fabric sling, but this was just to confirm the empty weight of the machine, dunno if we could have stored it like that for very long !

Might have started to bend a bit in the middle over time with the suspension force concentrated in one small area. . . darn good idea for space saving though innit ?

I'm looking to hang a Chinook single seat, weight about 128kg, I was hoping for something more conclusive, I might try a dolly frame with two pulleys and static climbing ropes.

I have my chinook WT11 hanging from our roof with no probs at all, used a car block n tackle attached to the main Square bar the wing and engine mount to :)

one strap at the engine end and another one at the front and all good....

cheers Pete

Peter I'd love a photo of the attachment points if you can. Pat

Hey Pat,

I will get a pic next time I am out there, the points we used were either side of the main leading edge and trailing edge pipes but attached to the Square pipe not the wing pipes..

I gather thats where the engine hangs from so thats the strongest point...

cheers Pete