Cirrus accident analysis

Wow. Thanks rg. Thats a fantastic example of one of the big problems that still seems to catch people. More evidence to suport the notion that 'picking up" a dropped wing with rudder is NOT the go in a stall.

• Agree 1

You have to wonder what they were thinking. Obviously not taking flying too seriously... It looks to me like they were trying to land on 19 and made a dogs dinner of the approach. Steep turns, close to the ground, slow (approach?) speeds, you would marvel if the aeroplane DIDN'T crash. HF didn't save either of them and one being an instructor? How can you train against rank stupidity? I am VERY aware of approach speeds . Low and slow near the ground is dangerous...So are crossed controls! Read "Stick and Rudder".....

Yes. being a review flight, and the position to the runway, the rate of decent, i think it was a PFL onto runway19, with the subsequent stuff up of the glide and perhaps some steep turns to allign, or 's' turns?.

All the ingredients are there. Non standard circuit height entry no proper circuit planning, cramped circuit, downwind on base, overshoot the runway centre line, high bank angle high wing loading, incorrect rudder application. IF the instructor was flying he was sitting on the RHS so can't see the runway, especially since they were heading away from it. The aircraft "flicks" & rolls over the upper wing due to the yaw and it's all over, Rover. This is the way it goes. Nev

• Agree 2

From memory of reading the NTSB report of this accident the instructor had never flown a Cirrus before - a significant factor in my opinion.

Did a flight review for some-one in a Yak 52TW yesterday including a PFL to a landing at an airfield. 3,000 ft on downwind and we discovered the glide angle similar to a Pitts i.e. similar to that of a manhole cover. Even worse with LG down. He misjudged from being high on final to an undershoot so changed to a powered approach.