Pelican from Holland to Melbourne

ikreis

Hi everyone, More than 3 years ago I bought an experimantal Ultravia Pelican in Holland. It was built by someone else, but I flew it across Europe for 500 hours or so. Now I consider to move to Australia, and I consider to ship the plane too. I have flown from Lilydale. Do you guys have any ideas on this move? Any experience? Is a Pelican known in Australia? I think the Rotax 912 in it is. What about hangaring, how do I find place and what would it cost?

And of course my fantasy is to one day own a home in the countryside with my private airstrip. Possibly with a bed&breakfast, for pilots and for backpackers. Any suggestions there?

Hi ikreis, welcome to the site...I will leave it for others to answer your questions but I would like to say to not forget to bring as much appelstroop and Oliebollen with you...my two most favourite foods

• Like 1

If you bring them in, the customs people will make it hard for you. Let Ian buy his own stuff. Just because he owns this site doesn't mean we take any notice of him.

Australia is a big country with many variations of climate. Very OLD landscape... Take years to see it all. Not possible in one lifetime, but fun trying. Nev

• Haha 1

Yes, cool Mike, thank you, that is the one. Would be fun to get in touch with the owner. And I got more excited about the move of the plane, when someone told me, that I would be allowed to fly it with the Dutch registration (PH-CBO). Even if that is only temporarily, it would give me heaps of time for paperwork.

I could try and fill the tanks with applestroop, or do you think the customs would find out?

ikreis, as to applying to fly on the dutch registration I would check that with CASA. If it is temporary I think there are bonds to be paid and you might have to sit an air legislation etc for your Dutch licence. Having one already on the RAAus register makes it look better for you. If you are licenced there and rated cross country all the ratings transfer and hours count. You should only have to do a MAX of five hours to get the RAAus CERTIFICATE.. You plane will be subject to the RAAus weight limit if it is lower than what you have already. Check it all out. Nev

Yes, cool Mike, thank you, that is the one. Would be fun to get in touch with the owner.

As far as I know there are 2 Pelicans in Australia. I rent hangar space off the owner of one of them. Send me a pm if you want the owners details.

Hi Ikreis (sounds like "I travel" in Dutch ?)'

Re your dream of a property with B and B and airstrip one of your countrymen has done just that and has also built a genuine working Dutch windmill on the site. Talk to Pleun Hitzert (see www.thelily.com.au). One of my favourite places on Earth. Pleun is currently converting a DC-3 into another B and B suite and he flies an immaculate Jab 160. A visit there is what re-ignited my interest in flying and two years on I will soon fly my own Foxbat into the Lily strip.

Met Vriendelijk Groeten

BF

Yes, cool Mike, thank you, that is the one. Would be fun to get in touch with the owner. And I got more excited about the move of the plane, when someone told me, that I would be allowed to fly it with the Dutch registration (PH-CBO). Even if that is only temporarily, it would give me heaps of time for paperwork.I could try and fill the tanks with applestroop, or do you think the customs would find out?

You'd have to get around the applestroop dog at the airport, and we'd have to restrain Ian so he didn't cry out and give the game away.

For those that are unaware of what Applestroop is, well Applestroop is to a Dutchman what Vegemite is to an Aussie...Applestroop is a sandwich spread that looks somewhat like Vegemite but is sweet...very yummy indeed

It's amazing how much affection exists outside Holland for the quintessential Dutch foods such as Ollibollen, Applestroop, Stroopwaffels etc. (nobody has mentioned the Haringfest yet). The Dutch are not renowned in Europe for their cullinary sophistication (suggest it to a Frenchman and watch the reaction !) but possibly it is because such affection prospers mainly among those of us brought up on the meat and two veg and kippers-for-breakfast English diet with none of that nasty continental stuff to break the monotony. My mother was a Navy officer's mess cook in the second world war, a fact which makes my brothers and I wonder how the English nevertheless managed to end up on the winning side !

Oh and then there is Genever (gin) and those deadly triple strength beers made by monks (although they mainly come from Belgium I think). Happy times (those I can remember).

• 7 months later...
Looks like you can fly there and stay in the soon to be converted DC3, *adds to bucket list*.....Some photos in the link

Sounds good to me, they'll possibly call it the "Nostalgia Suite"

I've seen a few old aircraft that have been converted to living quarters and some of them are amazing.

Tell them not to call it the "Clear Prop" suite, because Ian might want them to buy his headsets to listen to to the mood music, when they're not even in the mood.violin.gif.c5b75ad61908a9873d5843b614c5c79e.gif

That is so cool, that place still inspires me to do cool things in Victoria. Btw, I'll be in Melbourne end of next week, so if anyone can set me up with people who have shipped a plane (experimental) from Europe to Melbourne (preferably Lillydale airport), please let me know.

And of course my fantasy is to one day own a home in the countryside with my private airstrip. Possibly with a bed&breakfast, for pilots and for backpackers. Any suggestions there?

I share your fantasy! My only advise comes from my eldest daughter. She always says "What you believe is what you will see!" so just believe it will happen.