RAAus Future

Keith Page

Hi All

I have my September Sports Mag here and I have read the Presidents Report twice just make sure my interpretation was exactly what I was thinking.

In a nut shell this is the death of RAAus as we know it.

I will put some questions out there to get the ball rolling.

Who will pay anual membership and rego if one can get it for a one up payment?

CASA will not give us money as we are good boys and girls, Will they?

CASA just wants to get rid of RAAus and here it is -- starve RAAus out.

As I see the situation RAAus can survive however it must change it stance, yesterday and now at the latest.

RAAus will have to become a RTO -- we must have training, How will we get new licences?

Secondly -- an inspection for regestration system, I do not want the LAMES getting their fingers on the little planes, they will try and rip us off too.

I work with race horse people and plane people -- guess what? Plane people are the biggest rogues.

This is a big task for a STCC this person will have to guide RAAus through this mine field.

As I see the Ed & Myles set up they new something the rest of us were not up to speed with, with a STCC and a SMS in place, that is the birth of licence safety training and regestration inspection/compliance.

Regards

Keith Page.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Ed and Myles plan could very well be the type of plan which would have the mechanics which will save RAAus.

If that plan is no good and you do have a lot to say F_T.

What is your idea/plan to save the situation?

Just a little plan which we can expand on that will do.

Regards

Keith Page.

Guest Maj Millard

I fear also that there will be major change in the future. I have been saying for sometime that when CASA gets involved, they will want to recreate us in their ideal image, which means more regs, more control, and less freedoms.

Our sport evolved on its lonesome with a bare minimum of the above, so it is obvious that when additional control and oppressive regs are imposed, things have to change.

Put simply, and I have delt with CASA or it's former pre-incarnations since 1968, things do NOT improve for the benefit of participants, when CASA gets involved. All they want to do is regulate, regulate, regulate...not assist, assist, assist and foster further growth in recreational aviation......In the main, they, as individuals, are not active participants in aviation, but office-bound bureaucrates with nothing better to do than create more restrictive regulations......Maj....024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

In case you haven't noticed, KP, Ed is still on the Board. All that has changed is Ed's title ............. (and the fact that there have been no jobs for the boys since Rod took the helm).

You are delusional, in my opinion, if you think that Myles and Ed could have prevented the RPL from coming into effect and CASA from applying the pressure that they are (and will) to RAA, which in my view is a direct consequence of RAA proving over the past few years that it has been unable to run, administer and govern itself effectively.

If you want to apportion blame for that previous lack of governance within RAA, look closely & directly at the last 4 or 5 Executives and the Board members who supported them so vehemently. Those Executives were dominated by Middleton, Reid & Runciman and the fawning vehement support for their actions & inactions was dominated by Herring, Breitkreutz, Thobaven and Caban. That was all demonstrated clearly at, and in the lead-up to, last February's EGM (which I remind you was demanded by the members to address what were the several triggers for CASA's present actions).

• Like 2
  • Winner 2

Guest Maj Millard
In case you haven't noticed, KP, Ed is still on the Board. All that has changed is Ed's title ............. and the fact that there have been no jobs for the boys since Rod took the helm.Rat, Lets just see if the current temporary Techman ends up being permanent, if so, that would appear, from what I have been reading, to be certainly a 'job for the boys' on the part of the GM , and ratified by the board.......Maj...

An interesting point Madge. However I am one who believes that the GM should have the right to appoint the staff below him, albeit that the appointment of Techman and Opsman (or woman) should be ratified by the Board.

The GM acting in that way is much more preferable to the Board imposing the Techman and Opsman on the GM, as has been the case with the failure after failure after replacements in these positions over recent years.

Keith, there are several different scenarios for keeping CASA happy with the RAA's safety system. Most of which don't involve destroying the democratic process within the RAA. Ed was a failure as a leader and should move on with his life.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Keith, there are several different scenarios for keeping CASA happy with the RAA's safety system.

Yes

Ed was a failure as a leader and should move on with his life.

No

One of Ed's actions was vehemently opposed by much of the board. To depict Ed as a failure as a leader on that basis is ludicrous.

dodo

• Agree 1

Rod Birrells experience is valuable. I'm confident in his ability and motives. We do have a problem with where we will end up. I have felt this would be coming regardless of how and when.it came The signs were there years ago.. We need to keep cool and work our way through it. Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

Guest Maj Millard
An interesting point Madge. However I am one who believes that the GM should have the right to appoint the staff below him, albeit that the appointment of Techman and Opsman (or woman) should be ratified by the Board.The GM acting in that way is much more preferable to the Board imposing the Techman and Opsman on the GM, as has been the case with the failure after failure after replacements in these positions over recent years.

Couldn't agree more that it is the GMs role to appoint those he oversees. And he has made a choice in this instance between Mr Mathews and his 2nd in charge assistant , who is only temporary at this time, but my guess is that he will more than likely become permanent.

And I too have a huge amount of respect for Rod Birrell as Presidenta', he unlike some of the newer board appointees has a vast amount of experience in the sport, has been a prev president, and has been around forever. All factors by the way which many don't see as being required qualities or qualifications as a board member, or member of the excutive. Time will tell if our GM has made a good decision in this instance.

His performance as GM is also in the spotlight..........................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Rat and F_T

What will be some of the scenarios which will save RAAus? So we can expand on them

As I see the situation a RTO will be a saver.

CASA will not hand money over just because we are good boys and girls, so the money thing is out.

Maj you are no far off the money CASA will regulate, regulate, regulate. If that happens the back blocks could be full of little planes.

Have a look at the Oxord Dictionary there is not much diference between regulate or goverance.

The other interesting point, demonstrated above, depends on which ilk ones belongs as to the right or wrong governance.

Regards

Keith Page

• Like 1

An RPL has been in existence in the USA, UK & NZ for some years and it hasn't seen the demise of the Ultralight/Microlight organisations there.

In the case of NZ it originally was created so that ageing GA pilots could continue to fly but with just 1 passenger & a medical equivalent to driving a car & has been in effect since 8 May 2008 more than 5 years ago. It has since evolved into a licence in its own right as the CASA "Johnny come lately" licence seems to be, but the two Microlight bodies in NZ haven't disappeared.

All that is required here is for RA-Aus to get its sh!t together, perhaps change to biennial licencing, become more efficient & comply with regulations & ensure that pilots & aircraft owners who have a choice to go VH experimental & RPL or RA-Aus choose the latter.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Guest Maj Millard

Well not really, the members have to let the board members know what direction they want the RAAus to go. And then the board have to set the direction. It's not all just CASA telling us what they want .....

My crystal ball is telling me that I will be selling the drifter and building a Highlander super stol and going GA exp. As soon as I sell my excavator .

Don't sell your excavator yet, we may need a mass grave to bury our aircraft in. 037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif

Sorry, it's not really funny.111_oops.gif.41a64bb245dc25cbc7efb50b743e8a29.gif

Alan.

• Haha 1
  • Helpful 1

Guest Maj Millard
I think the RPL is brilliant..

It may all sound Rosey now Dr Zoos, but I guarantee you knowing the over- regulating style of CASA it will come with strings attached that will take the gloss off it. Government don't often give without taking also. The Raa may still end up being the way to go for more 'freedoms'........so best to keep an open mind..............Maj...014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

From where I sit RA-Aus were the ones who saw a sneaky little way to push into the GA spectrum whilst ignoring the 100 years of aviation knowledge that developed CASA and all the legislative requirements that now exist.

CASA pushing RA-Aus back towards the people it was created to cater for can be only a good thing. The HGFA never tried to invent superlight carbon-fibre machines to fit through a loophole in an attempt to sabotage the GA market.

If all RA-Aus has to cater for is a few hundred rag-n-tube pilots then I think they'll find life a lot easier to manage. Leave the development and maintenance of all the complicated training and safety management systems to CASA and those that wish to fly under her umbrella. Let those that fly purely for fun who are more than happy to stay out of the way of the heavy machines and the general public enjoy themselves!

• Like 4
  • Agree 5

Guest Maj Millard
From where I sit RA-Aus were the ones who saw a sneaky little way to push into the GA spectrum whilst ignoring the 100 years of aviation knowledge that developed CASA and all the legislative requirements that now exist.CASA pushing RA-Aus back towards the people it was created to cater for can be only a good thing. The HGFA never tried to invent superlight carbon-fibre machines to fit through a loophole in an attempt to sabotage the GA market.

If all RA-Aus has to cater for is a few hundred rag-n-tube pilots then I think they'll find life a lot easier to manage. Leave the development and maintenance of all the complicated training and safety management systems to CASA and those that wish to fly under her umbrella. Let those that fly purely for fun who are more than happy to stay out of the way of the heavy machines and the general public enjoy themselves!

Volsky, Your making it sound like the RAAus is the one at fault here, which is not necessarily the case. There are people flying under the RAA umbrella many of whom are ex-GA or still GA, who have gone with the RAA freedoms to enjoy the benefits of the lower- cost of maintenance and less BS operations etc. Many of those same people are the ones who have supported the introduction of higher weight limits, and have attempted (mainly for their own selfish agenda) to drag the rest of us upward into a GA like structure with additional restrictions and regulations, much against the wishes of the majority of RAA pilots.

CASA is the one who has disallowed this, and has effectively put the kibosh on this not the RAAus. All RAAus has tried to do is to accommodate everybody to the best of its abilitys, within its framework. Personally I would like to see those 'high-end' users go elsewhere, or into GA and stop causing the average RAA user more drama................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif