RAAus Technical Manager – Vacancy

Admin

Recreational Aviation Australia Inc. (RA-Aus.) is a national membership organization responsible for administering – on behalf of the Civil Aviation Safety Authority – the training, assessment and certification of almost 10,000 pilots. The Association is also responsible for assuring the registration – and airworthiness – of almost 3,500 aircraft, and for overseeing the operations of a further 200 affiliated flying training facilities and clubs.

Reporting directly to the General Manager, the Technical Manager has overall assurance and compliance responsibility for all airworthiness, registration, engineering and maintenance training aspects of our national operations. The successful applicant must be able to demonstrate recent, relevant, and substantial aviation engineering experience relating, preferably, to sport, ultralight, recreational and LSA operations. An authoritative working knowledge of relevant legislation, regulations and orders is essential, especially CAO 95.10, CAO 95.32 and CAO 95 .55. You will be a self-starter with a proven track record of team-building, process improvement, accountability, and flexibility. Effective verbal and written communication skills will also need to be evidenced, as will your established networks throughout industry and government, and your trade and tertiary (preferably) qualifications.

This is a full-time, ongoing position with the appointee periodically required to travel extensively throughout Australia. Remuneration: $90,000 p.a. + super

Applications to be received by c.o.b. Friday, November 15th.

Download the application guidelines, position description (and selection criteria).

Enquiries: Mark Clayton (Ph. 02-6280 4700)

• Caution 1

I think 90K is a bit low too. How come an accountancy qualified person with a tack on extra degree would get heaps more than that without having to make anything like the commitment and decisions this position requires. I think you would have trouble finding someone for this job. If you want to show how much you value their services by this level of remuneration, you further limit your chances of getting someone to stay. Most will have to relocate to Canberra in any case. Not a place everyone would want to live. (I'm not trying to say it's bad, but some would prefer other places) Nev

Truck drivers get $ 130-140 per year !

Yes Doug, however that is around the clock.

Night time is for leeping, not for hunting white lines. One can drop a lot of dollars for that comfort.

Regards

Keith Page.

I think 90K is a bit low too.

Yes it probably is but where does the money come from? Up the fees again? The main problem is the LSAs and GA style aircraft. I am not interested in subsidizing the whims of people who want GA type things at an ultralight price.

Those of us who live in the real world and can now see the experience level that RAA is asking for and the 'Networking' which comes from years of experience know that $90K wont get what they are expecting.

The old adage ... "you get what you pay for" ... always applies.

Plus unfortunately there is the history factor that will make any informed applicant wary.

• Agree 2

Yes Doug, however that is around the clock.Night time is for leeping, not for hunting white lines. One can drop a lot of dollars for that comfort.

Regards

Keith Page.

Just playing mate thought I stir the pot ;-)

Teckair I don't know whether that is true or not. I do believe in paying for what you get. If a particular category is more costly to administer then that sort of problem is easy (relatively) to rectify. I don't support a them and us mentality developing. ( which seems to surface often). I have always thought we should hang together because surely we will hang separately at the whim of "whatever" is the fad at the time. Nev.

Just playing mate thought I stir the pot ;-)

Good Doug.

Keep the 582 LWs going, they are special little treasures. Have not been up for a while. Been wounded and the wind would blow two dogs off the chain.

Regards

Keith Page

Teckair I don't know whether that is true or not. I do believe in paying for what you get. If a particular category is more costly to administer then that sort of problem is easy (relatively) to rectify. I don't support a them and us mentality developing. ( which seems to surface often). I have always thought we should hang together because surely we will hang separately at the whim of "whatever" is the fad at the time. Nev.

We are are already pricing our selves out of existence while it might be a 'feel good' exercise to hang together it is becoming less practical. The AUF was supposed to be affordable flying not an exercise in raising fees to pay for an increasingly difficult Techman position.

Perhaps if they had invested their cash reserves more wisely over the last few years, there would have been plenty more for a more competitive salary. Don't forget that Canberra can be an expensive place to live.

Perhaps if they had invested their cash reserves more wisely over the last few years, there would have been plenty more for a more competitive salary. Don't forget that Canberra can be an expensive place to live.

Yes all true but we are run by volunteers who often get their position unopposed based on a nice story about them selves in the magazine, probably with good intentions.

• Agree 1

If you don't want to hang together then split up, then. Go your separate ways and be picked off at random. The talk of going back to the past is just that. Talk with a bit if nostalgia and wishful thinking mixed in. You have nearly 10,000 people here. That is a substantial number, and you shouldn't jeopardise it unthinkingly.

If you don't support the position of Techman/person fully I don't know what your future is. Has the importance of the position ever been demonstrated more fully. There is an old saying ." Penny wise and pound foolish". Applies to the technical side of our operation right now. Nev

• Agree 2

Good Doug.Keep the 582 LWs going, they are special little treasures. Have not been up for a while. Been wounded and the wind would blow two dogs off the chain.

Regards

Keith Page

Same ta this end bloody wind & work . Am in the throws of adding an extra 32 litre aux fuel tank be hind the seat should give me 90 litres usable al up :-)