Croppie died while fighting South Coast fires

Methusala

Very sad. I was transitting through the area (by car) when this came on the news.

Having flown near (only near, not over) a very small grass fire and felt the turbulence and updraft, I have the utmost respect for pilots who are willing to fly over major bushfires. Anyone who taunts such a pilot for being unwilling to go into a situation like that should be made to take a ride over a major fire in a fixed wing aircraft.

There are a lot of airframe failures in this game. People on the ground would not have a clue of the control and turbulence factors. There is a lot of HYPE around when fires are being fought. The type of aircraft used is suspect structurally and being investigated.. The operator would have been aware of the planes limitations more than anyone else around, Nev

There are a lot of airframe failures in this game. People on the ground would not have a clue of the control and turbulence factors. There is a lot of HYPE around when fires are being fought. The type of aircraft used is suspect structurally and being investigated.. The operator would have been aware of the planes limitations more than anyone else around, Nev

I read an ATSB report about the type, the problem is that they are operated nearly 2oookg over their original design load, and fatigue life was being incorrectly recorded . Whether or not this is the issue in this case is yet to be determined.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1