Sealing tape

Russ

My 160 leaks water big time through the doors ( intend addressing the problem later) however I,m off to SE Qld soon, so........as a temp fix what is a guaranteed duck tape that will stay attached at 100 kts plus, to the outside of my right door/ cabin area. At least my leak problem will be halved by doing one door.

Russ

Guest Andys@coffs

Downside to that is that I have used duct tape to seal the fuel filler cap and when I removed it there was gell coat that was pulling away...That said the coat had an edge next to the metal ring the filler cap sits in, around the doors there is no finished edge......but still...be careful.....I assume you are talking on the ground out in the open only? If you were to put a run of thin low stick masking tape (Blue masking tape) used in house painting first and then wider duct tape over the top the gell coat edge thing might be less an issue....

Andy

Had the same problem a while ago

Spoke to Jab and they supplied door sills that mostly fixed the problemI

I found that water entered via the door catch, running down the seal and getting in there.

Hit the 160 with a water spout, you will then find the entry point

I believe that the later models are pretty well waterproof

Phil

I have found "One Hundred Mile an Hour" cloth tape really good on mine. It stays on, isn't affected by water when I wash the aircraft, and comes in a few colours as well as white.

Kaz

100mph tape......is that "duck tape" via super cheap or motor cycle shops. Or is it another tape, sold by ??

Hi Russ

Depends on your background, I guess gagged.gif.60d96579bce4672c685d482e13fb64dd.gif It used to be a military secret and only came in khaki green but these days it can be purchased in a variety of colours as duct or duck tape. Pretty neat stuff!

Kaz

Gaffa tape I think is similar to 100mph tape. Cloth reinforced tape and will stick jelly to a wall. A good brand is 357 Gaffa and you can get it at bunnings. Not to sure how it will treat your surface finish and will probably leave a residue.

Duct tape is a smooth plastic tape, used for sealing airconditioning ducts. Useless for anything likely to get a bit of wind on it. gaffer or mile a minute tape is like cloth with a plastic outer and really good sticking surface. Good stuff. It has been said that that tape and WD40 will fix anything.

Hi RussDepends on your background, I guess gagged.gif.60d96579bce4672c685d482e13fb64dd.gif It used to be a military secret and only came in khaki green but these days it can be purchased in a variety of colours as duct or duck tape. Pretty neat stuff!

Kaz

We regularly use the "proper" 100mph tape to tape down test cabling on the side of helicopters that go up to somewhere around 150kts, the stuff from supercheap and bunnings looks like wet paper next to it. It does come in khaki green, and 6" wide, if your paint isn't stuck on good, it will pull it off. We also know it as "instant airframe".

Duct tape is a smooth plastic tape, used for sealing airconditioning ducts. Useless for anything likely to get a bit of wind on it. gaffer or mile a minute tape is like cloth with a plastic outer and really good sticking surface. Good stuff. It has been said that that tape and WD40 will fix anything.

Like this Yenn?engineering-flowchart1.jpg.a9217c341eb35e5d590d2e140673f255.jpg

• Like 2
  • Caution 1

• 3 weeks later...
We regularly use the "proper" 100mph tape to tape down test cabling on the side of helicopters that go up to somewhere around 150kts, the stuff from supercheap and bunnings looks like wet paper next to it. It does come in khaki green, and 6" wide, if your paint isn't stuck on good, it will pull it off. We also know it as "instant airframe".

And I get it where ??

Gorilla Tape is the go. We use it in motorcycle road racing and it doesn't move at 150 mph.

Great stuff ................. see http://gorillaglue.com.au/eng/tapes/

Available in numerous engineering supplier type outlets and comes in small rolls too of various widths.

Hope this helps. Regards Geoff

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...