Steering on final with rudder

pmccarthy

Most shrinks are psychologically unstable you know. They realise they are weird early,and after a heap of introspection they have invested so much time in it they do it for a career. See what yours thinks of my comment. Nev

• Agree 2

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes Nev. It was abit confusing. But I sorta took the word of my chief who wanted it done that way (leaving it on). Id never had a reason not to trust him and he encouraged people to think about what they were being shown and not just follow blindly.The second chief (mr cranky, dont leave your hand on it) was a bit of a cranky bugga, and to be honest, I lost a lot for him when he laughed at me for choosing to land on a runway without papi, when the other runway had it. Although I was into wind ? It was only a dutchess, so nothing really nasty, but I just thought we were on different pages.

Anyway, I do prefer to stay in contact with the switch, same with flaps etc. Just to be sure. Just a thing, and I wouldnt begrudge anybody that didnt do it that way.

I had a similar thing with flying base/final, I was taught by two schools to use power for height pitch for speed, I went to a school for an endorsement and they taught aiming point and power for airspeed, it was pretty stressful for the first few laps, I had no idea why the FI was getting frustrated with me , kept saying"where's your aiming point?" ,,,,"the runway will do" , pretty cranky bugger, signed my logbook and says" try not to end up on the obits" ,,,,,,well,,,so far so good

Wow - "The Psychology Of Landing Yaw" - I can't wait for the movie to come out.

How do we feel about getting the novice up high and having them just hold the stick and quite rapidly push the nose left and right with the pedals, to get the feel of how things will go, while there is time to do a few of them, while there is no other distraction (landings are intellectually demanding - oh there's the psychology again), while there is room and time to recover (in the most unlikely event that might be needed), for, as someone pointed out maybe a hundred posts ago, in circuit you only get one crack at something like that each time round. Huh?

P

Okay, maybe I deserved that - but to be fair, it WAS a matter that someone had expressed concern about earlier, wasn't it? Plus, I have been taught cross-wind two different ways (yes, all instructors ARE different) one stressfully down on the runway just above stall speed, once per circuit; and one up in the big high sky practicing yaws and slips and crabs and transitions until when we finally came down to earth it was pretty ho-hum in comparison. Anyhow, I know you wouldn't take it personally (for I didn't have you in mind - sorry, but it's true). 087_sorry.gif.8f9ce404ad3aa941b2729edb25b7c714.gif

Motz,I was tempted to inquire if your aviation career started with pulling wings off flies, (Joking) but I know it's just your way of getting a point across, or getting peoples attention. That is not always easy. I probably do something similar. I know I used to state an extreme position as an illustration of a principle, and it might come across as me condoning or recommending it. A lot only read what they want to in the post especially when they start out antagonistic or trying to take one down a peg or too. As to whether that is necessary the majority will make their own opinion and it is surprisingly reasonable and appropriate at times. Nev

Nev, I used to make little kites out of flies. I would ask my sister for one single ( long) hair and catch a fly, tie a little knott around his legs.. :) a fly kite:)

I'm sorry, I know I mite come across as a smart ass, but honestly 90% of the time I'm taking the p1ss. I realise it may come across bad.. But I can't help myself!!lol, especially when someone sticks their chin out and says " slap me.. Please!!" I get smacked around a fair bit too so it all evens out in the end. :)

• Like 1

It seems that some people have yet to read "Stick and Rudder" by Wolfgang Langewiesche. He states time and again that it is the stick position that is crucial in stalling (or rather in NOT stalling). I was taught the sideslip in my RAAus training as it is indeed part of the syllabus. This was in a low wing plane. Although you have crossed controls the stick should be forward, or neutral. As I now fly a plane with no flaps it is part of the toolbox for me, especially when practicing forced landings. It is better to have a bit too much height when approaching the paddock you have selected, and then slipping off the extra height when certain to get in rather than the other way round, ie find yourself too low and unable to make it.

As stated by some of the others on this thread, if you were not taught this as part of your initial training then I would suggest getting some training on this very useful manoeuvre with an instructor at a safe height.

My 2c.

Rgds

Neil

• Like 5
  • Agree 4
  • Informative 1

Keep it up Motza.

Why not teach flapless landings, using slips to control angle of descent. Doing that means that when a go around becomes necessary, the pilot load is lessened, because there is no need to gradually bleed the flaps up. It also increases the pilot capability.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Tecky, the engine stalls then. I know a Chipmunk where the engine was missing. A prop blade broke off and the engine fell out. Nev

Dick Gower was telling me about this one, engine hung on by the cableling I think

Tecky, the engine stalls then. I know a Chipmunk where the engine was missing. A prop blade broke off and the engine fell out. Nev

I'm not quite sure, what to make of this......if the engine was missing, how did it fall out?, and what was the prop attached to, or was it missing after it fell out? I am fairly sure though, if the engine fell out, the engine stall would have been due to fuel starvation.poking.gif.62337b1540bd66201712a53e2664c9b4.gif

The chipmunk engine came right out due to imbalance and the resultant loads from the loss of one prop blade. The plane was so tail heavy it spun but not at the usual ROD due to the lesser weight. I believe the occupant(s) survived. It happened at Lake Macquarie. After that regular inspections of the Fairey Reid metal props were required and many DHC-I's operated without spinners. (The front part). Nev

• Like 1

This is how I like to steer with the rudder whilst landing, also I find landing on the nose wheel saves wear and tear on the main wheels 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Well, that'll be a fail on your BFR, all that violent ruddering, steep turns close to the ground, and top it off with a wheelbarrow landing.......no pilot cert for you!

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1