John McCormick leaving CASA

Admin

CASA Media Release - 14 February 2013

Director of Aviation Safety

The Chair of the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) Board, Dr Allan Hawke, has today announced that Mr John McCormick will not be seeking a further term of appointment as Director of Aviation Safety.

Mr McCormick has, however, agreed, to the Board’s request to stay on in the position until 31 August 2014.This will allow for an executive search process to fill the position and enable the Director to assist the Board’s initial consideration of the Government’s Independent Review of Aviation Safety Regulation scheduled to be completed around the end of May.

Mr McCormick’s leadership over the last five years has been the critical factor behind the significant improvements to Australia’s aviation safety regulatory regime and CASA’s performance. The aims he set out when taking up the position have been largely achieved, including:

• refocussing CASA on regulation of aviation safety as its core activity;

• improving CASA’s governance by restructuring it around functional lines;

• ensuring CASA staff are properly trained and deployed through the Brisbane-based training school and establishment of the Central Region and satellite offices at Broome, Gove, Horn Island and Kununurra;

• addressing emerging issues such as remotely piloted aircraft and Australia’s ageing aircraft;

• completion of the major part of the modernisation of aviation safety standards in a most expeditious manner and the attendant improvements in industry performance through the regulatory reform program;

• introduction of advanced air traffic navigation and surveillance equipment;

• reform of CASA’s surveillance and safety management systems oversight; and

• enhancement of air traffic services at major regional and capital city secondary airports.

These improvements have come at a time of increasing and more complex demands on CASA with major growth in Australia’s diversified aviation sectors and record numbers of domestic and international passengers flying in Australian skies.

Australia’s outstanding international reputation for aviation safety owes much to John McCormick’s stewardship and the reforms and initiatives undertaken on his watch.

Dr Hawke acknowledged that CASA had had to take significant regulatory action in relation to a few aviation operators, aircraft types and aircraft equipment over the last five years. Dr Hawke praised Mr McCormick’s key role in ensuring that these actions were taken by CASA to protect the travelling public and industry operators.

The Authority has also developed a more stable funding model under Mr McCormick’s direction to underpin sustainable and effective operations for CASA.

The Board has regarded it as a privilege to serve with John McCormick in the interests of “Safe Skies for All” and wishes him all the very best in his future endeavours.

Media contact:

Peter Gibson

• completion of the major part of the modernisation of aviation safety standards in a most expeditious manner and the attendant improvements in industry performance through the regulatory reform program;

• is this the same regulatory reform program started in 1989? that was suppost to take 2 years, and reduce and simplify the then 155 pages of regulation? the same one that they were dragged over the coals for in 2005 then stating it would be completed by 2006 even though the simplified regs have now exploded to 1500 pages from 155?

• Agree 5
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 1

11. DESIGN, DEVELOPMENT AND APPROVAL OF MODIFICATIONS11.1.1 FAA AC 20-138C is endorsed by CASA as appropriate guidance material for the design, development and approval of modifications intended for Australian registered aircraft involving the installation of GNSS equipment. Copies of this AC may be obtained from the FAA website at RGL Home.

11.1.2 References to the FAA procedures, documentation and regulatory requirements contained in FAA AC 20-138C are not applicable to Australian registered aircraft. All modifications to Australian registered aircraft must comply with Australian regulations

11.1.3 Related CASA guidance material AC 21-38 – Aircraft Electrical Load Analysis and Power Source Capacity and AC 21-99 – Aircraft Wiring and Bonding provide additional guidance material for consideration during design and installation.

Just your Standard CASA method of simplifying the regs...033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

• Winner 1

Have a look at the AAAA submission to the inquiry...it rips CASA, its head and its Board to shreds and says in plain language what everyone in aviation has been thinking for years.

Let's hope mainstream media picks up on it and Government has to act to sort things properly, once and for all.

Kaz

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Winner 1
  • Caution 1

I would be prepared to give credit where it's due. I hope there is a thorough review of the last period and some major rectification or aviation for the ordinary pilot is a waste of time in this country. Nev

• Agree 2

Yes the AAAA is a ripper submission as to how an organisation tried to get changes but was stopped by CASA. The resultant submission can be found here, with other submissions as they become public.

The response by the CASA Board [and at 5PM on a Friday afternoon] is just rubbish and will not engender any support of further change. The cost so far since the "process" began, exceeds $250million of our dollars.

It has to stop.

Tell the Board and the ASRR [Truss review] that we have to have change.

We must "suck it in" ditch the OZ debacle and immediately introduce the US-FAR's or NZ-CAA system.

• Agree 3
  • Helpful 1
  • Winner 1

Guest Maj Millard
Exactly, TAA.Wouldn't it be good to see what our board is putting together by way of a submission to ASRR? They are preparing one, aren't they?

Submitted last week Kaz........

The one question I have to ask, "Is he dreaming"..

There is an old Ozzie saying regarding enquiries:- "You just have to put a few bucks on the bar and sit back and listen" ------- You will get more information and will be more accurate. Simple.

Regards

Keith Page.

A grounded aeroplane is the safest of all..

Investigations have shown that in 99.9% of aircraft accidents there is a pilot at the controls.

If we have LESS pilots we are sure to have LESS accidents..

We are here to help.. if a representative gives you an answer you don't like, ask others . You are sure to eventually find one who will give you an answer you like more . Of course we don't guarantee stuff to be correct, even when we print it let alone verbal responses.

If you find something you think you understand let us know. We can't get around to making all of them incomprehensible straightaway. Nobody's perfect.

The old one ...We're not happy till You're not happy.

We are the AUTHORITY. ( write out 100 times)..

Every thing you do wrong will cost you money. That's FINE by us.

We have difficulty finding qualified staff, but it will not be allowed to alter our usual standards.

What you are doing was what we told you last year. That was then , this is now.. Anyhow that bloke left around May. What it was ME. ?? Just change it OK?

There is no room in aviation for people who want to save money. (Oops, what about the airlines)

Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 2

Hi Maj

I'm reassured to hear from you that a submission has gone in but it would be nice to see what our Board has had to say on our behalf.

It will be posted on the website in the next few days for all to see, won't it?

Regards

Kaz

I believe that there is no "next time" - surely we have had enough.

That casa spends $250m and the regs are still not adequate [Look at the Part 61, where the first 90 odd words have to do with operators, not pilots], thus the Part 61 is defunct.

We must now stand up for a reasonable go, not expect a corrupt casa [i have lots of examples] to "look after" us.

As I said before:

We must "suck it in", ditch the OZ debacle and immediately introduce the US-FAR's or NZ-CAA system.

Call the Board, tell them what you want.

• Agree 1
  • Helpful 1

The RAAus submission to the enquiry has been on the website since the end of last month - its in the members only section

Cheers

John

Dashed if I can see it, Crezzi. It's not in the News bit that I'm reading.

Maj said it was submitted last week.

It should be out there for the public to see unless we are embarrassed to say our piece in the open.

I hope we were able to take in comments and advice from others such as AOPA, GFA and SAAA so we present something of a united voice on this incredibly important issue.

Kaz

Thanks Crezzi... Appreciate your help

I leave my pilot certificate in my aircraft and can't remember the number to log in 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif

Having read it, it's probably better it stays in the members only section.

Kaz

I'm an SAAA member but the RAAus the link worked anyway. The AAAA submission was much more comprehensive and blunt, to say the least. I haven't see the SAAA submission yet.

rgmwa

Guest Maj Millard
I'm an SAAA member but the RAAus the link worked anyway. The AAAA submission was much more comprehensive and blunt, to say the least. I haven't see the SAAA submission yet.rgmwa

The RAA is engaged in tender negotiations with the SASAO at the moment, in other crucial operational areas. It was decided it would be in our best interests long and short term, not to be as blunt as the AAAA submission. They may not currently have as much on the line, as the RAA has at the moment.........I did however feel that the AAAA submission was spot-on, and hopefully will serve their particular purpose well.........Maj.........

The problem I see just looking from outside the inner circle is that there are so many different groups all representing segments of GA and Recreational flying that individual agendas and "sensitivities" overtake any opportunity to speak with a united voice.

This serves all of us poorly on major common issues such as this, and no doubt serves the Regulator very well. The voices of the RPT mob drown us out hence we are faced with very significant costs such as updating radios to provide the smaller frequency spacings, installing ADSB capable transponders in all aircraft newly added to the Register, higher maintenance costs reflecting the increased training and infrastructure costs for LAMES, changes to MTOWs for currently registered aircraft, and GOKs what else will come along in the future. TCAS anyone? GNSS next? What about compulsory TP insurance for damage to persons and property on the ground way more than any cover provided by your membership. On-the-spot fines are well and truly on the current agenda which will certainly lead to many more fines and a criminal process rather than an administrative one to deal with transgressions against those strict liability offences.

AOPA was always considered the peak body for GA when I was younger. They went through a deep trough a while back but have been redeeming their reputation since Phillip Reiss first became President and they again have the ability to speak on behalf of all sectors without bias. They just need to get their membership back up to where it used to be. It won't happen unless each of us pays our membership. A small price to pay in my view.

Kaz

• Agree 2

Guest Maj Millard

Kaz, First of all the submissions are not going to the regulator, they are going to the committee

conducting the enquiry into the effectiveness of the regulator.

That committee did request individual submissions for its consideration, not a combined submission as you suggest....Each organisation is different, and may have different areas of complaint.

. Maj.........