Mr funnel??

LimaMike08

I use one all the time for refueling at my hangar, very good, I've never had water issues . I have the bigger one but I don't think it matters till you need to take it on a trip and don't have the spare room, I don't bother on trips away I just use AvGas

Matty

I have the medium size - probably F3. It tips around a bit so I think the F8 size would be easier to use - less chance of splash. When pouring, you have to miss the middle area for a splatter free fill

Never put a drop of fuel in my trike without it going through a my funnel.

Avoid the extra large double filter one. I have afew filters and use an extra large for diesel on tractors etc and even though the flow rate is great, it's a bit of a pain to use due to its size and the additional chamber in the bottom. Small or med are a good size for rec aircraft.

Only down side is they can be a bit top heavy and flat bottomed rather than tapered so need holding / supporting depending on your filler neck size, location and angle.

I have seen other sizes than shown on your quoted site. A friend has the best one I have seen is about 100 mm dia and had the med or large filter in it. Compact for inclusion in ac and allows very quick filling. Good if you are holding a 20ltr drum high in the air.

I have used them to recover some pretty badly contaminated fuel at times - water , dirt, rust etc and they do a great job.

Mind you the recovered fuel was never used for primary purposes and definitely never went near my aircraft.

• Like 2

Only down side is they can be a bit top heavy and flat bottomed rather than tapered so need holding / supporting depending on your filler neck size, location and angle.

The mr funnel I used, had a very thick piece of fuel hose over the thin part which helped a lot. It was put there by the previous owner and I have no idea where he found hose that thick. It may have been two or even three different sizes pushed inside each other.

Regards Bill

I'm with Tracktop. What's the use of having the gear if you don't use it religiously. Even bowzer AvGas has to go thru mine before it gets to my tank. I carry a medium-sized Mr. Funnel with me. I added an extension tube which fits into the wing tanks, and a folding arm which hooks over the edge of the cockpit.

• Like 1

Not a drop of fuel goes in my Nynja without going through my Mr Funnel. Don't know what size mine is, but it's not the large one, maybe the medium or small....

When you look at the filter screen in the funnel, that's some pretty good insurance.

Absolutely positively use mine religiously, for the last 15 yrs, nothing goes into the tanks except thru the mr funnel, but, I must confess, it has never needed cleaning, nor has it picked up any water, all with mogas. So, do I really need it:blink:

• Like 1

Absolutely positively use mine religiously, for the last 15 yrs, nothing goes into the tanks except thru the mr funnel, but, I must confess, it has never needed cleaning, nor has it picked up any water, all with mogas. So, do I really need it:blink:

I have the medium one and yes 99.9 % of the time it won't be necessary but the one time it is needed could ruin your day if you didn't have it. It does help you breath easier when filling out of 'interesting' jerry cans

My 2 cents, I do think a Mr Funnel is a great idea. But I wouldn't get to anal about it if you don't use one. Millions of engines every day get by without fail with fuel in them not being filtered through a Mr Funnel. I have been riding dirt bikes for 33 years with them being filled out of jerry cans or straight from the bowser at a servo and I have never had a contaminated fuel issue. I was going to buy a mr funnel but BCF stopped selling them so I never got around to getting one.

My 2 cents, I do think a Mr Funnel is a great idea. But I wouldn't get to anal about it if you don't use one. Millions of engines every day get by without fail with fuel in them not being filtered through a Mr Funnel. I have been riding dirt bikes for 33 years with them being filled out of jerry cans or straight from the bowser at a servo and I have never had a contaminated fuel issue. I was going to buy a mr funnel but BCF stopped selling them so I never got around to getting one.

I bought mine mostly because I needed a funnel and they were highly recommended, it is a bit of a slog holding a 20l jerry can up to fill a high wing but the funnel filters well, I don't bother with an AVGAS refuel ( very rare if I can help it) for two reasons ,the funnel is a bit big to take on a long nav with other nessasary stuff, and most AVGAS systems are very stringently maintained,much better than MOGAS outlets, with thousands of aircraft doing thousands of hours relatively problem free.

With MOGAS though ,I only go to BP or SHELL for 98 octane , and so far no bad fuel but I'm not so sure of the budget fuel mobs,

Matty

My medium Mr Funnel saved the day a couple of years ago when it retained about 100ml of brown, lumpy water that came out of a new jerry can of Mogas as I filled the aircraft. Nothing ever got through to the Gascolator and drain, so I think Mr Funnel stopped the lot.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1