The fun is gone for me

barandbrew

We all complain about being regulated, or living in 'nanny states' etc. however, we continually prove that we need regulation and big brother watching because we behave like imbeciles otherwise. We cannot handle booz, road rules, drugs and a million other things. Imagine if there was no CASA or RAAus. Good God, pilots would be killing themselves and others through their own stupidity, ignorance and crap attitudes. (I use the term 'we' at the beginning of my rant, those of us who do the right thing please feel excluded)

people killing themselves through stupidity is not a problem in my world, in fact it should encouraged, it's only an issue when innocent's are involved.As fot the stuff we can't handle, speak for yourself, treat people like children and they will behave as such. We only have a high level of lawbreaking because we have so many laws, it's almost impossible not to be breaking a law anytime you're awake.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope...it just happened to involve an aircraft that you consider to be a wannabe. Do you really think the result would have been any different if a badly constructed Drifter had hit the ferris wheel? Indeed, the public and media outcry would probably have been a lot worse if a rag and tube had hit it. I suspect that the general public perception of an average rag and tube would be of a death trap waiting to happen. You and I know that's far from the truth, but unfortunately perception is what we have to deal with, not reality.

Do you really think the ex GA pilot would have been flying a Thruster?

• Haha 1

We all complain about being regulated, or living in 'nanny states' etc. however, we continually prove that we need regulation and big brother watching because we behave like imbeciles otherwise.

I love it here, machines with no guards and safety rails, cliffside and riverside walkways with no fences, very loose road rules, etc - you would be shocked how soft and dumbed down we have become with all of our "protection for our own good" and it took me a while here to get used to defending/thinking for myself again for which I assure you I am glad for.

• Like 7

Fatalities per 100,000 motor vehiclesAustralia - 8

China - 36

I'm staying here thanks

100% of people who eat food die so you're dead anyway unless you stop eating.

As usual, statistics are far removed from the facts of the matter.

• Haha 1
  • Winner 1
  • Caution 1

No they're not, you have 4.5 times more chance of being killed in a car than I do

No I don't, you are wrong and you obviously lack the detailed information as to why the figures in that statistic read as they do.

Also 100% of people who sleep die too, guess that's why you are up so late but it will get you eventually .......

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

No I don't, you are wrong and you obviously lack the detailed information as to why the figures in that statistic read as they do.Also 100% of people who sleep die too, guess that's why you are up so late but it will get you eventually .......

No one gets out alive! Life is 100% fatal! I've even heard the frightening statistic that 10 out 10 Australians will suffer death at some point in their life,,,,truly shocking figures!

My Dad visited me from the USA a few years back, he was astounded at how regulated we are in this country ,even down to static speed cameras, reckons they'd last ten minutes in Michigan . Everything here is regulated to protect the dumbest moron in the crowd, thing is they keep producing "new ,improved fools" ,

Matty

• Agree 6
  • Winner 1

No I don't, you are wrong and you obviously lack the detailed information as to why the figures in that statistic read as they do.

I'm not wrong, these are official figures which a number of countries share, and governments can drill down right to the individual event which caused each fatality.

The "safety" industry is running amok these days, providing a basis for bullies to do their thing. An enviromental researcher was recently denied permission to get stuff out of the back of his ute because he didn't have a "working at heights" authorization. Then he had to drive 40 mins to have a piss at an approved toilet while working on a cattle station.

How did we come to this?

• Caution 1

No, but if they had of been they would have been more likely to not need to go around in the first place. In the event of a go around they would have been more likely to be able to out climb the Ferris wheel. If all that failed it would have been far more likely they would be able to see the Ferris wheel before they hit it and therefore be able to avoid it. Gee what a great idea LSA and the rest of the crap is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The "safety" industry is running amok these days, providing a basis for bullies to do their thing. An enviromental researcher was recently denied permission to get stuff out of the back of his ute because he didn't have a "working at heights" authorization. Then he had to drive 40 mins to have a piss at an approved toilet while working on a cattle station.How did we come to this?

Some Ute.

The falls from heights legislation kicks in at 2 metres. Above that height the statistics showed a lot of broken necks from slippages.

So most small square hay bales have gone#, tankers have a tether cable for a waist rope, car carriers have drop down railings, houses under construction have a very simple scaffolding.

I put a harness on out of amusement when lopping a tree; the branch swung and slid the ladder sideways and I was left hanging a few metres up.

Sounds like this one had some extreme environmental overtones and confusion about the falls from heights legislation.

#Not by legislation, just more practical to load round bales with a tractor than try to come up with a walkway/restraint structure for loose bales.

I'm not wrong,

Yes you are but you obviously don't like it.

There are significant reasons why there's a high fatality rate on the roads here that are not detailed in a statistic and none of them have a bearing on me or put me at any greater risk than driving in Oz, in fact driving in the cities here is a damn sight safer as they (frustratingly) all potter around at 30-40kmh usually.

This has nothing to do with what I like. This is the industry I work in. These are the statistics I've worked with all my life. The statistics I quoted come from the Chinese Government, not from me.

If you want to disagree with the numbers and causes recorded by your government you'd probably need a mindset a little better than starting with all people who eat food die.

No I don't, you are wrong and you obviously lack the detailed information as to why the figures in that statistic read as they do.Also 100% of people who sleep die too, guess that's why you are up so late but it will get you eventually .......

I think what Bex is saying is that the deaths per 100,000 people are acceptable because very few people can own a car (unless you are a blowin or a favorite of the party or the military) so the rate per 1000,000 cars is illusory (at best) - the conjestion is so high that few people are killed in accidents but a lot die due to pollution.

Bugga off you lot, I have been flying since age 16 ... now 60, ther were only PPls then, and in the 1980s I flew Frank Bailey's (now deceased) 95-10 'Mustang', but only after extensive discussions with him on the design (he was an ex De Havilland engineer), then later flew Drifters. I am still a GA pilot, but I love rag and tube (the safe ones) or at least as safe as I can determine. There is nothing quite like a flight in a Drifter to stir up the senses and the rekindle some foot skills.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

Col, I was very specific that these figures were deaths per 100,000 vehicles; this has nothing to do with the population or what is or isn't acceptable

The shared figures are also available per 100,000 people, and surprisingly they aren't much better - China has a serious problem

Figures are:

Fatalities per 100,000 vehicles: Australia 8 China 36 = 4.5 times

Fatalities per 100,000 people: Australia 5.2 China 20.5 = 3.94 times

Total Fatalities per year(latest): Australia: 1193 China 68,000

Bugga off you lot, I have been flying since age 16 ... now 60, ther were only PPls then, and in the 1980s I flew Frank Bailey's (now deceased) 95-10 'Mustang', but only after extensive discussions with him on the design (he was an ex De Havilland engineer), then later flew Drifters. I am still a GA pilot, but I love rag and tube (the safe ones) or at least as safe as I can determine. There is nothing quite like a flight in a Drifter to stir up the senses and the rekindle some foot skills.

Yes but you are in the minority David.

• Agree 1

Perhaps the OP and the 13 people who agree with him have been set off here by the L2 talk, and perhaps that needs to be spelled out simply and officially, otherwise the slagging just doesn't made sense.

The Gazelle looks to me very much like a Piper Tripacer.

The Gazelle looks to me very much like a Piper Tripacer.

Yeah so hard to tell the difference.

Perhaps the OP and the 13 people who agree with him have been set off here by the L2 talk, and perhaps that needs to be spelled out simply and officially.

Who is the OP? I would not blame anyone for being annoyed with this situation. The AUF was formed for people who wanted affordable flying and 100 hourlies and all the rest of the stuff we have coming were not part of the equation.

• Caution 1

Yes but you are in the minority David.

Thanks Richard and Don ... LOL

Unfortunately I am told that far too often.

The trouble with being in any minority is you get outvoted. Maybe that is why I am such a pushy bugga LOL.

Some Ute.The falls from heights legislation kicks in at 2 metres. Above that height the statistics showed a lot of broken necks from slippages.

So most small square hay bales have gone#, tankers have a tether cable for a waist rope, car carriers have drop down railings, houses under construction have a very simple scaffolding.

I put a harness on out of amusement when lopping a tree; the branch swung and slid the ladder sideways and I was left hanging a few metres up.

Sounds like this one had some extreme environmental overtones and confusion about the falls from heights legislation.

#Not by legislation, just more practical to load round bales with a tractor than try to come up with a walkway/restraint structure for loose bales.

No confusion about working at heights, in QLD it is now any height where you aren't standing on the ground, it's utter crap. Nothing more than a money grab for "safety equipment" manufacturers. We're not even allowed to stand on a 3 step, stepladder while carrying out helicopter maintenance. I've had to use retractable harnesses while working on wings that try to pull you off the wing if you move, it get's even more complicated if you are using a crane and have several people on the job. Takes some choreography not to get tangled and trip someone up.

Tubs,

Statistically you are right about currently being safer here in OZ but if we had 1 billion population like they do I am sure we would be up there with them and possibly more as us westerners don't seem to have the courtesy on the roads as the Asians countries do even though they have bugger all road rules.

From my travels they seem to make up them as they go.

Alf