I love cessnas

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes they are like a Limo especially with the expensive maintenance costs, I owned a C172 for 9 years, a beautiful plane and could only wish for more HP, the maintenance issues were becoming evident in 2008 when I sold it, but without any doubt a great plane, just maintenance cost was the problem.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

I must admit I have a bias towards Cessnas for a bunch of reasons. Especially the models with the little wheels on the tails. I love the real utility value and the rough field capability they have. I have seen them stalled above runways and 'banged on' with such impact your eyes would water and after inspection still serviceable. Try and get away with that in an LSA. My favourite without doubt is the C180. The C182 RG is also a beautiful aircraft.

• Agree 1

Gotta join in the love fest, the Cessna taildraggers are tops ,but even the old 172 is nice, I maybe fly one every two years if that nowadays but it's like visiting an old mate, compared to the pipers in all the schools that just feel tired( the last nice Piper had the little wheel on the back anyway) . I haven't been up in a C185 for a few years now but OH the memories ,

Matty

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

LSA move around to much , cessnas are like a limo after flying a LSA

Must be flying the wrong LSA stevron,

I cannot fault my Tecnam Sierra, been a long time since I have flown a 172 but this thing handles much better, mind you if I drop it on from 10 ft it will fair much worse than a 172 for sure.

From what I remember of the 172 it was a cross between a damp and a wet sponge for handling.

Alf

• Agree 1

There is no doubt that most in the Cessna family are very good aircraft. The controls in 172s & 182s are extraordinarily heavy but the airframe while not indestructible is incredibly tough. Many 150-152-172 models have been used in flying schools for 40 years and are still going strong. I can't see any of the newer composite airframes lasting that long.

• Agree 5

BTW,

I am no way knocking the Cessna's as they gave me my first experience I ever had and would have one tomorrow at the drop of a hat, can't be around 60 odd years without something being right.

Alf

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Many 150-152-172 models have been used in flying schools for 40 years and are still going strong. I can't see any of the newer composite airframes lasting that long.

China's major National training school is 10 minutes away from me and I take a shortcut everyday along the airport's fence line on the way to the factory and home again and sometimes stop for a few minutes to watch Cessna 172's landing/taking off every 3 to 4 minutes! I'm told they lose about 2 per year.

Some are good, but the last one I did a flight revue in was abysmal. Rocky Aero clubs C150. Performance was sadly lacking, compass impossible to read, and I think it was the dirtiest plane I have ever flown, looked as if it had just competed in a 4WD exercise.

• Like 1

This was my C-150A Texas Tail Dragger - I bought it as a tricycle, bought a conversion kit and over several years did a major overhaul on airframe turning it into a baby 180. At the same time it was given a new(er) 0200 engine, bigger wheels and brakes and several other tidy ups. I sold it to a bloke who picked it up from me at Port Augusta S.A. and took it to W.A. to fly on a cattle station. I wonder how it looks now? Registration VH-DIA. Laurie1282705955_DIAluggageextension003.jpg.953fee2987777e9c8c4abb2a6563b982.jpg

• Like 6

There is no doubt that most in the Cessna family are very good aircraft. The controls in 172s & 182s are extraordinarily heavy but the airframe while not indestructible is incredibly tough. Many 150-152-172 models have been used in flying schools for 40 years and are still going strong. I can't see any of the newer composite airframes lasting that long.

Aww.... What about all those Jabbys that already have between five and ten thousand airframe hours, with some having done their first twenty years.

The high time ones are living the hard life and can now be ranked with the Cessnas.

• Agree 2
  • Caution 3

Aww.... What about all those Jabbys that already have between five and ten thousand airframe hours, with some having done their first twenty years.The high time ones are living the hard life and can now be ranked with the Cessnas.

When I first read that, I thought it said "with some having done their first twenty engines."..........sorry.......

• Agree 1
  • Haha 3

When I first read that, I thought it said "with some having done their first twenty engines."..........sorry.......

You obviously have no knowledge of the lycoming O 320 H2AD. Fitted to N model Cessnas.

China's major National training school is 10 minutes away from me and I take a shortcut everyday along the airport's fence line on the way to the factory and home again and sometimes stop for a few minutes to watch Cessna 172's landing/taking off every 3 to 4 minutes! I'm told they lose about 2 per year.

Losing two per year??? must be very poor navigation. 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif067_bash.gif.26fb8516c20ce4d7842b820ac15914cf.gif.

Alan.

• Haha 3

Having seen the smog in China it's a wonder any of them come home to roost.

Too true. Fascinating country, but in some places the smog is so thick, I wouldn't be surprised if the planes need supplemental oxygen as well as the pilots.

rgmwa

• Caution 1