Ballistic Chute saves three in German Mid-Air

There would be other "IF's" too. There are risks associated with the Ballistic chute. (especially to those attending the accident. The incident in Germany could have been other wise if the charge force went somewhere else. You would not want to be in the way of the chute when it deployed. Nev

I wonder how high they were when they deployed? It said they were on finals? Anyway a good outcome but I agree with facthunter's first post a lot of luck there. I mean the fact that they both stayed stuck together..... Could have been an awful lot worse.

• Agree 1

Crikey, if the plane had hit the glider a couple of metres further forward I would not have wanted to be the glider pilot. Both blades of the prop got chopped off fairly even so if he hadn't got stuck he may have been able to manouevre with a bit of power to set up a landing.

Best result possible, great stuff.I often wonder how many of these incidents are down to the glider having right of way, and I mean in an arrogant, enforced way?

Shouldn't they have right of way all the time? I mean it's not like they can turn on the power and go around.

• Agree 1

Shouldn't they have right of way all the time? I mean it's not like they can turn on the power and go around.

You missed my meaning. When you ride a motorcycle on the road many times you have right of way too but you look first and make decisions based on reality rather than rights.

I'm just wondering if occasionally some avoidable incidents might be caused by the glider pilot forcing their right.

• Agree 1

Sail has right of way over power on the water as well. As for bikes, in my case self preservation has right of way over everything else. I assume that is why I have hundreds of thousands of safe riding miles behind me. I think that same theory should hold me in good stead with flying irrespective of my ability to spell. As has been pointed out on this forum spelling is more important than common sense.

Cheers Geoff13