ATSB report AR 2013-107 posted today...

Guest Maj Millard

If these are the statistics we are putting the sword to Jabiru over I may have to switch teams. 1.27 for GA, yep safe as houses. 1.55 for rotax, yep she's safe. 1.98 for Ra Aus, sure why not. 2.63 for Jabiru..... URGENT ACTION REQUIRED! BAN THEM ALL!

That being said, the graphs do look mighty scary when the major units are 0.5/10,000 hours....

How about this for a solution for Jabiru. Create a new company called Flabiru. Make sure that the new Flabiru engine experiences failures at a rate of around 3/10,000 hours. Now 2.63 is looking pretty good! CASA bans Flabiru, and Jabiru go on their merry way.

2,000 replies in the other thread and I've just solved the whole issue. I think where we going wrong was assuming that because CASA were involved, the solution had to involve safety and logic. It's not about safety, it's about playing the game!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Haha 2

This whole thing with Jabiru, CASA and RAA Aus puts me in mind of a major empire building/job protection smokescreen from some senior CASA employees (or trying to justify their jobs. Note... all complaints, no solutions from the senior complainers in the guvmint body..?))

• Agree 3

Remember there are lies, damned lied and statistics!!!

It would be interesting to know the level of competency [whether a student or low hour pilots were involved] in both camps [Rotax vs Jabiru ] . Is there any relationship between cost of aircraft and incidences, there are so many different ways of looking at these stats

I am still seeing Jabiru being compare to 2 stroke and 4 stroke Rotax combined, classic comparison of oranges and apples but it just paints an even bleaker picture of Jabiru's 4 stroke reliability. Worse still it shows up the technical naivety of the powers that be.

• Like 1

The CRY for meaningful stats from Jab and some posters will never go away, even when they are clearly represented, such as they are here..

I predict the next few pages will be filled with "how stats can be used any old how" and " this doesnt mean anything....." Even money odds!! Who wants in?

Incident rate on both sides is most likely to be poorly reported so less value for decisions, certainly points out work needs to be done to improve things in RAA, especially Jabiru

Accident rate - "only slightly higher" - around even money odds Merv. Your just as likely to crash a Rotax as a Jabiru.

Rotax not broken up by model, neither is Jabiru.

My view is take those odds, minimize it as best you can, go flying

because my only other option is not go flying.

Sad one is the total number of hours flown dropping dramatically in just 5 years. CASA is winning.

• Agree 2
  • Winner 1

Guest Maj Millard
The CRY for meaningful stats from Jab and some posters will never go away, even when they are clearly represented, such as they are here..I predict the next few pages will be filled with "how stats can be used any old how" and " this doesnt mean anything....." Even money odds!! Who wants in?

I'm in Motz......