Booked in and waiting

scre80

Hi All,

Well I am booked in for my TIF, was booked in for today but delayed til Wednesday now due to rain today.

Doing my TIF at Gawler in SA at the ASC.

Anyone one had any experience at Gawler / ASC? All things I have heard are very positive.

Thanks

Scott

• Like 2
  • Winner 1

Enjoy the beautiful views, hind marsh island lake Alex etc...Great people down that way. Will be flying the ww1 plane out there when I get a chance ( Tiger in tow)

I don't think you will get to see him flyerme as his tif is at Gawler not Goolwa.033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif

Alan.

• Haha 1

You wouldn't be the first to do that. A few years ago I had an aircraft report inbound at 10 miles when coming to our Truro Flats fly-in, he subsequently reported joining the circuit but was nowhere to be seen. He landed at Stonefield airport nearby.037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif.

Alan.

Powered Alan. Yes, everyone gets Gawler and Goolwa confused!!!

Looking forward to it.

I am also thinking long term here to, by building a kit plane, especially like the sonex.

Thanks All, looking forward to it. Just hope the weather comes good for Wednesday arvo.

Out of interest, how long did it take for anyone to achieve their RA-Aus licence? and how often did you fly and for how long each time?

• Agree 1

scre80

I did my TIF on 13 Jun 2014.

Went solo on 06 Jul 2014 after 13.5 hours Dual.

I got my Pilots Certificate 09 Aug 2014 after 22.5 Hrs Dual and 7.6 hrs Solo.

Pax endorsment came on 15 Aug 2014 after a further 4.2 hrs Solo a 1 hr dual test.

I completed my Navs on 03 Oct 2014 with a total of 44.4 hrs Dual and 22.2 hrs Solo.

I flew mostly twice a day 3 to 4 days per week. My school is only open 4 days a week or I would have been out there more. There were days when due to weather etc I couldn't fly. I missed 2 weeks just before sitting for my certificate when the school closed for a break and I missed out a further 3 weeks during my Navs when the aircraft I was learning in was out of service due to a bird strike.

There were certainly advantages doing the certificate in the time frame that I did it. The most obvious was the lack of needing retraining between lessons. Normally a few minutes revision was all that was needed to show that I hadn't forgotten much. The other advantage with the time of year was the very small amount of time that I lost due to bad weather. Thar certainly could have gone the other way at a different time of year.

There were also disadvantages. The most obvious to me now in hindsight was the fact that due to the good weather and the airfield I learned at, I really did not get a lot of crosswind practice. Yes we did the theory and some practice but I have since found out that what I thought was gale force winds in week 3 was actually only a breath of fresh air compared to what I have managed to find since. The other big disadvantage was the amount of study time. I spent almost every spare minute for 3 months studying for one exam or another or pre reading lessons or re writing notes etc. etc. It worked for me but it may not work for some people.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks All, looking forward to it. Just hope the weather comes good for Wednesday arvo.Out of interest, how long did it take for anyone to achieve their RA-Aus licence? and how often did you fly and for how long each time?

Good luck with the weather

All up (numbers are from memory so might be out a little) it took me around 50hours but that included TW,NW,X country, PAX, AP and human factors. Tried to go once a week but often if was out to a fortnight, anywhere from one hour to three at a time depending on what we were doing and how quickly I lost my concentration, (you get to a spot as you tire where your concentration starts to lag and you aren't improving and that will change depending on your workload) I felt comfortable with how long it took me, even though others might be a lot quicker.

Just as a side note, after completing my navs I didn't fly for about 18 months (spare time was put into building plane) and once the hornet was ready it took me around ten hours to get the swing of things again (I guess the new type took a little adjusting but a majority of it was skill loss due to not flying).

Wow Geoff, congrats.I will not have this much time to spare or $$$, but hoping to get my certificate in around 6 months.

Like I said M8, the way I did it is certainly not for everyone but at the time it was the way I needed to do it so I made it work for me. Yes it is a big commitment in time and dollars, but it was going to take at least the same amount of time and dollars, whether it I spread it over 6 weeks or 6 years. In fact probably more of both over the longer period. When I started, I wasn't sure if I had that long, as it turns out Doctors can make mistakes luckily for me.

• Like 1

Hi All,Well I am booked in for my TIF, was booked in for today but delayed til Wednesday now due to rain today.

Doing my TIF at Gawler in SA at the ASC.

Anyone one had any experience at Gawler / ASC? All things I have heard are very positive.

Thanks

Scott

Welcome and best of luck with your training!

Hi All

Just had my TIF, what a great experience!! But bumpy in the J170 with the strong winds but still very enjoyable. Can't wait to get stuck into the training!!

• Like 4

Hi AllJust had my TIF, what a great experience!! But bumpy in the J170 with the strong winds but still very enjoyable. Can't wait to get stuck into the training!!

Good for you now you have the bug look out

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Scre80, good to hear you enjoyed your TIF,

I did my certificate over twelve intense days, and it was a bit of a brain drain, in cross winds for nearly the entire time until we got away from my home strip. It would have been fine if I already had my aircraft and I could have taken a check ride and gone on practicing. As it is I have spent 18 months building in the two years since training, so have a considerable amount of retraining to do once I get my plane finished. If you add the retraining time, the difference may not be great with having trained throughout the longer period. I was keen to get it done before the goalposts moved and it got a whole lot harder though.

• Agree 1