Spin Awareness

Just a quick one.. What's with the into spin aileron. I'm used to anti spin (oppose wing drop) or neutral if with frise ailerons. Nev

I'm just the student. Apparently the is28 does not like to spin unless encouraged with ailerons.

That could well be. I just thought it a bit unusual from what I'm used to. It could delay the spin entry in some aircraft as it makes the lower wing harder to stall.. You obviously have plenty of back elevator authority. Nev

The IS28 Flight and Maintenance manual (available on gliding dot com dot au) states pro spin aileron input is required "when rotation and wing and nose stall occur". It further states "the glider does not perform controlled spin with crossed controls". A bit unconventional, but it's their train set so they know best.

I notice you cross hands. I flew gliders and the Decathlon using my right hand on the stick because trim, flaps and spoiler controls were all on the left. Took me a while to get used to left hand on the stick in the Auster because throttle is centre.

The Bllanik spins nicely with crossed controls.

Kaz

I notice you cross hands. I flew gliders and the Decathlon using my right hand on the stick because trim, flaps and spoiler controls were all on the left. Took me a while to get used to left hand on the stick in the Auster because throttle is centre.The Bllanik spins nicely with crossed controls.

Kaz

Just a habit I think. My aircraft is centre throttle also. I did manage to change hands back to operate the spoilers for landing though. Just recently did my tail wheel endo in a Zlin Savage Cub and had no trouble keeping my right hand on the stick and left on the throttle in that machine.

It is funny that instinctive preference. Having flown many hours in the Citabria and many in the big Cessnas, I seem to have a natural preference to stick in right hand, throttle on the left. This was interesting when I started flying Austers where initially I preferred to fly them from the right seat for that reason. I adapted ok though.

The only comment I will make as a Level 2 gliding instructor and CASA tug pilot training delegate of more than 30 years is this:

If an emergency situation develops on tow (such as an upset caused by the glider getting too high and kiting thus overpowering the elevator authority of the tug) and you need to release immediately, the time taken to change hands to get to the cable release may be too long. Upsets happen so fast that the tug can be upside down in seconds. I know of one tug that was involved in an upset at 2000 AGL that recovered below treetop height and another that was at 6000 AGL that lost 3000 ft in the recovery. There have been many over the years worldwide that have not been so lucky.

I will not allow my students to use their left hand on the stick during the tow. 99% of gliders are designed to be flown with the right hand on the primary flight controls and the left hand operates the auxiliary controls like the tow release, airbrakes, flaps (if fitted) and trim.

Robert

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 3

djpacro, I would've put up the link to the IS28 Flight and Maintenance manual, but I was kicked off the site for adding links to posts previously.

As Happyflyer says, a google search for IS28 Flight Manual will find it - go to page 4.10 (page 42 of the document) to find spinning. I've spun lots of aircraft types, but never one recommending pro-spin aileron during the entry, maybe something lost in the translation?

I find some of the Yak POH translations amusing... Yak 18T manual - "no cadets allowed on the settee when performing acrobatics" or the Yak50 series "leaving the aircraft in flight" - "firstly, put aside any warm feelings you have for the airplane"

• Agree 1

That could well be. I just thought it a bit unusual from what I'm used to. It could delay the spin entry in some aircraft as it makes the lower wing harder to stall.. You obviously have plenty of back elevator authority. Nev

I would have thought from what I have been learning it should be the opposite also. Opposite aileron to intended spin direction would increase the angle of attack on the wing you want to stall first making it happen faster.

• Agree 1