Albion Park Airport 747 arrival

I would be surprised if it goes in a hangar. That would be a lot of money. It will just rot away just like all dead aeroplanes do especially near the sea.

At Longreach, There are some good things to see at the Qantas section but I didn't bother to look at the 747, I'm afraid.. Nev

Another great big plane to hangar!!What a big ongoing cost !!

How exciting is a 747 anyway?

I wouldn't pay to go see it

I can't imagine anyone wanting to plan a holiday around a visit to an old and soon to be moldy smelling 747

• Agree 1

I can't imagine anyone wanting to plan a holiday around a visit to an old and soon to be moldy smelling 747

The 747 will only be a part of the total experience for people visiting the Hars Museum. Power and air-conditioning will be connected in the near future.A bit pricey/noisy running the APU. A hangar down the track [ 80m x 80m ] is in the pipeline . Biggest hassle will be to keep it clean, maybe the local fire fighters can practice their hosing skills etc.
  • Like 1

use it - put a cafe, beer and burgers in it ........................ hang some swings from the wings

............ a slide for the kids etc

before it rots enjoy it lots

• Like 3
  • Winner 1

Guest Howard Hughes
Trying to get permission to fly in myself in the morning, before the big thing arrives... wish me luck!

Better get up bloody early then Tomo! 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Guest ozzie

Make a great B&B.

Gee 4 pilots, one just to handle the radio. Wonder what the second officer will do ? Get the coffee for the 10 minute flight down the coast as they're leaving the girls back at base. They have done heaps of sim time. (Microsoft Simulator X)? Shot a heap of practise approaches in the ol' Cherokee. Council reckons the runway is sweet enough to handle it and CASA is overseeing the whole thing. Bring on a huge crowd, I can see where this is going.

Interesting that some think this is a bad thing. Rather than have it on display with an organisation who will no doubt do their utmost to preserve this aircraft for as long as possible, would you rather it just be cut up for scrap?

• Agree 2

such negativity, anything that gets the public interested in aviation is a good thing in my books, even if it is a smelly mouldy old 747... and the more HARS collect, the more secure the future of aviation in the Illawarra becomes..

• Like 1
  • Agree 12

I agree Ultralights ... I think 40,000 people a year / yr visit the old mouldy 747 at Longreach ... Try telling the folk up there what a waste of time it's acquisition was .

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Guest Maj Millard

The B747 is an mazing aircraft......huge push of the boundaries when it was designed...almost sent Boeing to the wall with development costs. Prototype didn't want to fly without a square foot chunk of depleted uranium ( heavier then lead) installed in the tail.

Ever stood under the wing root ?......there's some acerage there that will amaze you for sure. Better still stand under the wing root in a downpour, waterfalls literally come off the back of the wing. The 747 led to bigger stuff down the road including the A 380, as much in aircraft design as to customer acceptance of super large aircraft.

I was happy to fly the Pacific and London- Sydney many times in them ( including the SP) and always felt very safe with the four engines thank you, as opposed to one flight SF direct to Cairns in a B 767 ER with only two !... The 747 was also capable of being a five - engined aircraft with an engine slung between the RH onboard and the fuselage for transport purposes, as an engine would not fit in the cargo hold below decks. And what about the amazing B747 SP with the same engines as the big brother but much shorter fuselage, higher fin and all the draggy boat fairings removed from the wings. They flew much higher (40,000' plus) and were capable of going supersonic as the fuel load lightened, if the throttles weren't retarded.

To see the floor space in freight-mode with only rollers on the floor, and a small alum ladder leading up to the flight deck is an eye opener for sure, and gives you a true picture of just how big the Jumbo is.

Kudos to all who are preserving these amazing airliners for future generation to enjoy. To hell with the cost, if nothing else it has just put HARS and Wollongong firmly on the map again, and has provided lots of new museum or restuant floor space. Well done HARS and Qantas......