Here is some good news for rec flying.

Yes, it is a good news story, but might just be perceived as a little on the elitist side. Maybe not? 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif It's the sort of story that RAAus needs to include regularly in the magazine, especially as they are now intending to provide a copy to each FTF for use in the school itself. Some mention of the fact that a student can include up to 100 hrs RAAus flying in a 200 hr CPL would help position RAAus as a sensible entry point to a flying career. happy days,

• Agree 1
  • Caution 1

If they wanted a Rotax she would still be caching the bus. Probably be over flying by them time the could afford it.

Im sure the forms and flight checks will have happened so she and everyone on the ground in YNRM is safe. There are thousands of unpowered landing here every year.

Plenty of kids get given a car, its an old Jab and maybe the safest airframe available? Good on the parents for investing in kids future. I know them they arent particularly wealthy.

Benefits of living somewhere where av house price is maybe $200K and the banks are poorer.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

If they wanted a Rotax she would still be caching the bus. Probably be over flying by them time the could afford it.Im sure the forms and flight checks will have happened so she and everyone on the ground in YNRM is safe. There are thousands of unpowered landing here every year.

Plenty of kids get given a car, its an old Jab and maybe the safest airframe available? Good on the parents for investing in kids future. I know them they arent particularly wealthy.

Benefits of living somewhere where av house price is maybe $200K and the banks are poorer.

GEEEEEEZ $200K . . . .puts it in perspective, . . .I nearly bought a brand spanking new Brick veneer house with a double garage and 4 bedrooms, complete with an enclosed courtyard in Wantirna Road Mitcham ( Vic ) in 1972 for $8,500.00 . . .thought it was a bit dear, so I passed. . . .oh dear wot a silly clot. . .! Couldn't buy a 6 year old Ford Transit van for that here nowadays ! ! ! !

Phil

• Agree 2

S'okay Arron and anyone who likes Jabs - I was only joking. I agree it's a wonderful airframe.

My mate Lee has just bought a Jab,. . . . he WAS going to buy a Savannah, but he said the Jab came in at well less money. . . . .I asked him if he'd been on this forum . .and he said,. "No. . .Why ? " I said, "oh,. . .no reason,. . . .". . . . got out of that one anyway !. . .he will, more than likely have NO problems with it at all,. . . . although there is some "negativity" from UK users on UK forums on the subject. He used to own an AVIASUD MISTRAL . . .these Froggy designed pieces of crap have been bloody lethal,. . . ( 2 guys killed from our field alone ).so I'm glad he now has a much more crashworthy airframe. I feel a bit responsible, as it was ME who injected the flying bug into his persona ten years ago with a flight in a borrowed trike. . . . I have a personal dislike of the Mistral,. . .but that's another story ! !

He used to own an AVIASUD MISTRAL . . .

Just looked it up. Looks like a collection of leftover aircraft parts - even the wings are on backwards.

rgmwa

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Phil ... Is your mate going to fly the Jab out of Otherton? ..... He might find it a bit of a tight fit there , it's a trifle short I would have thought , or is he going to base at " The Green " ..

Dave

QUOTE="rgmwa, post: 482706, member: 4213"]Just looked it up. Looks like a collection of leftover aircraft parts - even the wings are on backwards.

rgmwa

OK RG,. . . . well,. . .the first time I laid eyes on a Mistral, was at a BMAA annual rally held at Wolverhampton town hall way back in 1986. The Mistral was then the star of the show, . . and was up on the stage, wheich was 5ft 6 in high, and there were no steps to climb up and have a close look at the aircraft. I thought then that it was the most beautiful thing I'd seen in many years, having a GRP fuselage and fin, all in pure white, with fabric covered wings ( ! ) and tailplane surfaces..

It can only be described, and this is MY take, as a Cantilever monoplane,. . . with a fully flying lower control surface. ( cantilever, because the wing is supported above the fuselage on struts ) although it appears to be a standard Biplane layout, as you've probably noticed wherever you've seen it,. . . . It isn't really, . . not in the usual sense anyway. . . the botton "Wing, although it acts thus in flight, is actually a fully articulated flying control, as the entire surface pivots in pitch with what would normally be considered as an "Aileron" input, and this is achieved by fitting it with "Banjo Bolt" fixings, ie, what would normally be the interplane struts ( one on each side ) are actually fitted at the bottom end with a ball banjo, approximately half way out along the surface from the fuselage,. . .( AND THIS IS THE ONLY CONNECTION to the wing.) allowing the lower surface to rotate throught several degrees equally to the opposite surface. this achieves roll control. the Pitch and yaw controls are conventional elevator and rudder.

For some unknown reason, aviasud mounted the top wing ( and the corresponding lower control surface ) with a "Forward angled" sweep, ( ? ) they said this increased general stability. . . . ( Bollox. . . my opinion ) Can't find anything in my aerodynamics books which would confirm this idea in a lightweight airframe . . .

The flight manual states clearly, "No Intentional Stalls Allowed. . ." it DOES NOT state what happens if you encounter an unintentional stall,. . . . we found this out many years ago when one of my friends ( flying instructor with plenty of logged time in all sorts of light aeroplanes ) deliberately stalled one at 4,000 feet in still, calm conditions. The aircraft defied all attempts to recover from it's spin / gyrations and was finally recovered ( Pure LUCK in my view ) at a height above goround of less than 400 feet. . . . . and I was a witness to this. It was a very stupid thing to do, but some people think they are invulnerable, if they have an instructor rating. . . . the owner of the machine, was a Hindu frioned of mine, a Mr. Mulk Raj,. . . .this is the first and only time that I have ever seen a dark skinned person go totally white,. . . . at least, he was for a while after they landed. . . . and he had changed his nappy. . . .

Two club members left our field to do a photo shoot, and at approx 600 feet over the target on the goround, the Rotax engine failed and ingested part of the carburettor . . . the pilot lost flying speed and was unable to recover in the small amount of height on offer and both crew were killed on impact.

I flew one of these aircraft for around five hours, but decided that , on balance, it was not a safe aircraft to fly, . .it being quite able to exceed it's own published VNE whilst on the climbout, and only powered by a Rotax 532 long stroke, single ignition, air cooled powerplant.

Not my idea of a useful aircraft, especially for low time pilots.

Phil

• Informative 1

Phil ... Is your mate going to fly the Jab out of Otherton? ..... He might find it a bit of a tight fit there , it's a trifle short I would have thought , or is he going to base at " The Green " ..Dave

Allo Dave,. . . . .REALLY SORRY we didn't connect whilst you were over here,. . .I was out of the country for most of the time ! ! ! ! Anyway, in answer to your query,. . .it was flown in to Otherton by the previous owner. . .. . .but I have not seen Lee fly it yet,. . .They are still building a Hangar ( him and his Dad, who has a CFM Shadow ) I hope he finds it OK, I can get a PA 28 / C-172 in and out easy peasy, but that's me. . . . .he's only been licensed for about six months,. . .so I dunno. . . .he is quite a sensible bloke, so I hope he'll fly with Mick the CFI ( Der FleigenFuhrer ) first,. . .just to ease him into it.

I can't really comment on Jab peformance because 1) I only have 11 hours total time on the type and 2) I dunno what type it was that I flew,. . .it was JUST A JAB ! and it was quite some years ago, so probably a basic one ?. . as far as I knew, not only that . . .it was at Gloucester international ( Staverton - 100 mile rwys ) and Old Sarum ( 700 metres ) what they are like into mini fields like ours, I ain't rightly sure aer kid. . . . . .

If he doesn't do it well,. . .then I'll be passing on the AAIB report I guess ( hopefully NOT ! ) Actually, we have two regular Jabiru visitors, and they don't seem to have any problems as long as we're using 25 / 07 with a length of 490 metres and NO fences. . . . .

Phil

Yes just looked at the Mistral. That's just wrong. Some French designs are wonderful (Jodel, Airbus A380 etc....) but this thing and the Flying Flea should have been aborted at the design stage...

Yes just looked at the Mistral. That's just wrong. Some French designs are wonderful (Jodel, Airbus A380 etc....) but this thing and the Flying Flea should have been aborted at the design stage...

I agree re your comment on the Joddly,. . . . lovely type, . . I love the Stuka wing design too ! . . . as for the A380,. . . well,. . . .it's. . .er,. . .BIG,. . . but not THAT big, ie, it doesn't actually carry that many mor Pax than a 747 actually,. . . ( much as it grieves me to admit, since it was a Pommie bloke who designed and developed the undercarriage system ( Wow . . ! ! ! )

We have a develpoment of the Flea based at Otherton International,. . . the Balerit 100 something or other, I have a bit of flight time in that, it was used for training disabled people to fly. It has no foot control at all as you may be aware,. . .having the control yoke connected to the rudder for secondary effect roll control and the top wing surface being articulate in pitch instad of the standard elevator system. Even though it IS a bit "Sluggish" in roll response, it is still quite safe, providing you don''t attempt landing in a strongish, gusty crosswind,. . .then it's a real handful due to the roll output control delay due to it's secondary effect nature. . . otherwise, it's a complete pussy, and VERY strongly built. Not only this, but the nose section complete with windscreens can be unclipped for easier access for disabled pilots to decant over the side into a wheelchair. . . . . got to admit,. . .not a bad design for the Frogs. . . .

It is powered by a Rotax 582 dual ignition Two stroke, with electriic start, and the engine & prop are safely stowed Mid structure, so that the Froggies can fold the wings up, and drive it home without slicing up other road users. . . .

My mate Alex Barr, who has now moved to live in Koh Samui and given up flying, learned to fly to PPL standard in it, and once had an engine failure, having to put it down in a deeply ploughed field next to the airfield. . . When we trudged through the mud to retrieve him I said, . ." You silly bugger, . .we ought to make you crawl through the furrows after a crap landing like that " . . .( standard Otherton sympathy ) The damage was one bent mudguard, after landing in 18 inch deep furrows ( wassat in French . . ? about 470mm? )

Not a bad aircraft at all,. . . .and very popular indeed with disabled students,. . .only problem is, our current CFI has never flown it, and is too Frit. . . . . because it has no ailerons and he says it's against his religious beliefs. . . .

Phil