Pretty sure you'll want a pair

Gnarly Gnu

Really? Surely the energy of a bullet fired at such close range from a weapon like that should at least have made him stagger back a pace or two? Even with his protector firmly in place the jolt should have been severe enough to knock the grin off his face, even if it didn't knock anything else off. Don't try this at home is all I can say.

rgmwa

Really? Surely the energy of a bullet fired at such close range from a weapon like that should at least have made him stagger back a pace or two?

Nah, not really (below) unless it was some insane calibre - or in a movie. But the fact there was no slo-mo or close up of the impact damage makes it seem a bit sus. Risk of ricochet due to the convex shape, risk of a dud round.... quite close to some major blood vessels there so it might be faked but I still thought it was funny. There are plenty of test clips about, it's a pretty common demo method but not in the groin from a distance shooting at a curved plate.

It was a 22lr so not much energy involved.

Rgmwa surely the 'pace or two backwards' was a bit tongue in cheek? It's basic physics, for the target to be knocked back a pace or two the shooter would also have to be knocked back a pace or two. (Won't happen unless a HUGE caliber is used) The movies make it look so glamorous but it is really eerily mundane.

For more interesting vids try googling 'the armoured Armani'

Using a .22 Magnum loaded to give a muzzle velocity of 610 m/s, we can calculate the Force applied to the target using the Law of Conservation of Momentum.

Bullet weight = 40 grains = 2.6 gm - 0.0026 kg (m1)

Muzzle velocity = 610 m/s (v1)

Target = 100 kg (m2)

Target initiral velocity = 0 m/s (v2)

m3.v3 = momentum of bullet after impact

m4.v4 = momentum of target after impact

m1.v1 + m2.v2 = m3.v3 + m4.v4

(0.0026)* 610) + (100 * 0) = (0.0026 * 0) + (100 * v4)

1.56 kg m/s + 0 = 0 + 100v4

(1.56 / 100) = v4

0.0156 m/s = v4

0.0156 m/s = 0.056 Kph

If we knew how long it took for the bullet to stop, we could calculate the deceleration (v1 - v3)/t and from that work out the force exerted on the target by the bullet, F = ma.

OME

Let's guess the time for the bullet to stop is about 1/25th of a second (the proverbial `blink of an eye'). That makes the deceleration 610/.04=15,250 m/sec2. For a bullet with a mass of .0026kg, we get an impact force of .0026x15,250 or about 40kg. That's a fair punch in the nether regions.

rgmwa

• Like 1

Let's guess the time for the bullet to stop is about 1/25th of a second (the proverbial `blink of an eye'). That makes the deceleration 610/.04=15,250 m/sec2. For a bullet with a mass of .0026kg, we get an impact force of .0026x15,250 or about 40kg. That's a fair punch in the nether regions.rgmwa

You would not be smiling!

Let's guess the time for the bullet to stop is about 1/25th of a second (the proverbial `blink of an eye'). rgmwa

I was scratching around for a suitable figure to use to calculate the acceleration in this example so I could work out the Force. Your guess seems reasonable to me.

OME