Accident Tyagarah Air Strip NSW

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweep back complicates things and since it moves it's inertia must do something too. Nev

Also when that sweep back has a thing called a floating cross tube connected to the main spar usually where the wires or the struts join on the leading edge that crosses across the keel, it is meant to float and not be restricted, it floats for a reason like to allow billow ect in the sail

Alf

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.raa.asn.au/documents/airworthiness/AN10072015WS%20Pannier%20and%20external%20storage%20devices%20approval%20required.pdf

Date: 10 July 2015

RECREATIONAL AIRCRAFT AIRWORTHINESS NOTICE

AIRWORTHINESS NOTICE IDENTIFICATION NUMBER: 10072015WS

Fitting of external storage devices

(PANNIERS) to Weight Shift Aircraft.

To: All owners and operators of Weight Shift Aircraft.

Background: During a recent investigation, it was identified that the Airborne 912 XT weight shift

aircraft was fitted with 3 External PANNIERS (External storage devices). These were fitted to a

Light Sport Aircraft and had not been approved by the manufacturer. Members are reminded that

equipment must not be fitted to LSA Aircraft without approval by the manufacturer. In the case of

Type Certified aircraft, approval may be granted by an appropriate issuing authority for Type

Certified aircraft.

Action Required: Immediately Prior to NEXT FLIGHT:

Owner/operators of Light Sport Aircraft (LSA) are required to contact the manufacturer and seek

approval for the fitment of any external storage devices if already fitted. In the case of Type

Certified aircraft approval may be granted by an appropriate issuing authority for Type Certified

aircraft. If approval is not provided, external storage devices such as PANNIERs are to be

removed IMMEDIATELY.

Reports and Recording. The initial inspection is to be recorded in the aircraft log book citing

10072015WS. Any further questions please refer to the manufacturer.

Darren Barnfield

National Technical Manager

Defect Reporting and accident investigations are primary means for ensuring

continued safety in our operations.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

(a) It is always applicable if the POH specifies any minimum or maximum weights.*(b) RAA is simply matching CAR 235, which doesn't give RAA, HGFA, or the pilot any discretion.

*The Airborne Edge XT912 Streak/Cruze for example says in 2.6.9 "Minimum Pilot Weight. The microlight aircraft must only be flown solo from the front seat. Minimum pilot weight flown solo shall not be below 55 kg. Maximum power at minimum TOW can cause an abrupt climb rate that, if uncorrected, may cause a wing attitude of greater than the placarded maximum of 45 degrees."

This would be a critical calculation factor if for example a teenage pilot was about to solo.

Forgive me if I've missed something, but in all training ops in the UK, with regard to Flexwing / weightshift aircraft, if the pilot to go solo is an undernourished stick insect, it is permissable to carry a ballast i the rear seat, to correct for the lack of pilot weight. I have not seen any reference to this, but forgive me if someone has mentioned it, asw I've SPEDREAD the posts.

Phlexwing Phil. ( I never need a ballast ! but a jerry can for a backrest in an older trike isn't a bad idea. . . )

Unless it's a cat or two of course! 009_happy.gif.56d1e13d4ca35a447ad034f1ecf7aa58.gif017_happy_dance.gif.8a199466e9bd67cc25ecc8b442db76ba.gif

Or in my case, 2 dead rats, a dead rabbit, several other assorted dead rodents and a live toad. . . . .which plopped onto my lap whilst taxying ( Great Preflight Phil ? )

I know of a bloke who ruined my favourite C-150 by stuffing drugs in plastic bags into both wing tanks in France. He ran out of fuel half a mile off the white cliffs of Dover at night, and crashed on the top of the cliffs inverted, and seriously injured ( aircraft- G-BOTY, or G-BOUZ can't remember which. . . date: circa 1995) He was "Rescued" by the local cops, and Her Majesty is currently looking after him in one of her many hotels. . . ( the bugger is probably out by now, you don't get long for drug smuggling over here. . .) sorry to go Off Topic a bit,. . .dunno why I suddenly thought of that. . . .

099_off_topic.gif.20188a5321221476a2fad1197804b380.gif

• Haha 1

I wouldn't do it in any trike wing, a wing is designed to be a wing, if it was designed to carry gear the manufacturers would have made provisions for it.Alf

Sorry to be boring again Alf,. . . I have anecdotal evidence of pilots stuffing 50 Gramme packs of hand rolling tobacco into trike wings, this has been a way of smuggling baccy for some years, and I'm sure customs know about it,. . .but I have not seen any evidence of anyone being caught at it. . . . a 50G pack of baccy sells in the UK for around Eighteen Quid,. . but it can be bought on the continent for less than 3.5 Euro. . . . ( Exch. rate 1 Euro = £0.71 ) big profit margin in that,. . .pay for your fuel on the trip, and unlikely to jam the FCT if you don't overdo it,. . . .not only this, if your Rotax fails over the channel,. . .the baccy might act as a buoyancy aid ! ! !

OK, OK, no more silly posts, my apologies.

Phil

• Informative 1

Sorry to be boring again Alf,. . . I have anecdotal evidence of pilots stuffing 50 Gramme packs of hand rolling tobacco into trike wings, this has been a way of smuggling baccy for some years, and I'm sure customs know about it,. . .but I have not seen any evidence of anyone being caught at it. . . . a 50G pack of baccy sells in the UK for around Eighteen Quid,. . but it can be bought on the continent for less than 3.5 Euro. . . . ( Exch. rate 1 Euro = £0.71 ) big profit margin in that,. . .pay for your fuel on the trip, and unlikely to jam the FCT if you don't overdo it,. . . .not only this, if your Rotax fails over the channel,. . .the baccy might act as a buoyancy aid ! ! !OK, OK, no more silly posts, my apologies.

Phil

Phil

I can't see why we sent you back to the mother land

You should come back as the damp and dinge is getting to you over there

Please when you come back pack as many 50 gram Bakkie pouches as you can

18 quid seems a bargain for we are paying the best part of 50 bucks a pouch these days

Just don't pack them in a cavity that will change your profile or alter your floating waste tube as I really would hate it to jam up as it could bring you down quite quick and also ruin the Bakkie

Cheers Alf

• Caution 1

Ask me . I've given it up four times, often for considerable periods but the LAST time I meant it and Its about 10 years now and I don't miss the nerve sticks at all. I can smell the gum leaves,The food and beer/wine taste better. I can walk for 7 kms easily. I wish I'd never had the first one. It's clever exploiting of the human addiction factor by bastards who know how bad it is for you but keep peddling the stuff. regardless. Send them the bill for your cardiac and lung problems. nev

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I gave up on the way though Hong Kong.. .

Spent a year in China, 7 Yuan a pack of 20 readymades, that's $1.20 Kiwi at the time. Got to Honkers, $45 HKD a pack, or around $9ish Kiwi, Nah, too much. got back to NZ and they want around $16 for a CHEAP pack of 20!!!