18yo solo around the world

Gold Coast teenager Lachlan Smart, 18, is about to depart on a solo flight around the world in a Cessna 172, according to Ch7 news, becoming the youngest to do so.

• Like 1

his website shows him with a cessna 172, but it seems he'll use a cirrus. It says the trip will cost $400,000! You wonder how a 17yo gets that much together.

Maybe a rich mummy and daddy. I am proud in the fact that every single cent I have spent on aviation comes from my own earnings.

• Agree 2

Regardless of the socio-economic status of his family, they won't be there to help him once he's on his way. The REALITY of reality will be there. It used to be called "FIRE and ICE". Nev

Maybe a rich mummy and daddy. I am proud in the fact that every single cent I have spent on aviation comes from my own earnings.

yeah, me too, altho' I think it'd be nice to have someone like the Air Force train me to fly an F/A18!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I don't consider flying at around 150/200kts, following GPS/Nav aids, auto pilot, computer weather updates, comfortable cockpit, major airports etc. compares in any way with the feats of the early aviators.

Safer, cheaper and more comfortable option of RPT would be a better way to spend your money, at least to my way of thinking. More then one engine for those long over water legs also.

Plenty of options to improve a new pilot's skill levels than long distance legs. I just don't get it.

• Agree 1

C'mon people, he is a young aviator actually having a go. Who cares how he got the money the main thing is he is helping put aviation on the map for a GOOD reason. So what if he does it with autopilot he will still be on his own out there. Sure most of us didn't have the means to do that at 18 but we are starting to sound like a mob of jealous whiners.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I am proud in the fact that every single cent I have spent on aviation comes from my own earnings.

Nah, I'm disappointed I've had to pay my own way.

Anyone interested in removing that burden from my conscience please step forward! 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif