Aerochute Crash near Mackay

OR

-Looking at it again, could have just taken off towards crowd, bit of power issue, regain revs but steering into tree. Possible tried to steer away from crowd when power issue arose.

• Caution 1

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think a low pass. If he had taken off that close the hands would have been too busy with the chute to find the lollies in time to drop. You can see the right arm hanging at one point like he had just dropped something or waving. From flying low at the start, power on to climb a bit as he approaches the crowd then a moment of reduced power to stop the climb. Power back on after that. Left hand hanging on the left toggle causing a slow left turn while he throws something/waves with right and is looking down to the right. Looking right he didnt notice the turn was taking him into the tree.

A whole lot of bad choices that many of us may now have to pay for.

"Police handed control of the investigation over to CASA and Recreational Aviation Australia, the body responsible for smaller aircraft."

Why? It would seem to be a police matter in the first instance to identify then CASA. I don't see why RaAus should waste time and money on it.

BTW I like PPC's but the things sound horrid at any revs. Decent 4 stroke & muffler would do wonders.

Guest ozzie

Not a member so not RAAus problem one would think.

One in our area flies a little low at times and slow and yes, loud.

Left hand hanging on the left toggle causing a slow left turn while he throws something/waves with right and is looking down to the right. Looking right he didnt notice the turn was taking him into the tree.

Bit of a "John Denver" moment......

yes facthunter I seen were you was a going

ossie this is a problem for RAA as the shxxx that is going to happen over this is not going to be berried

that has been the problem previously not our problem bulldust as I have got on the wrong side off many by stating about cover ups do exist and are still happening

don't make waves you say cause it will bring on more regulations what about the shixx that some l2 caused for the caring good l2 lames

education of the public by this video as to how to flightover a gathering of people realey does wonders for RAA neil

• Like 1

But really the RAAus have no part in it. It's not registered and the pilot is not qualified (officially)_ Just WHAT authority does RAAus have over this individual? The police have that. That's the way it operates EVEN when the person is under the auspices of the RAAus. The STATE Police and the coroner (if applicable) We are only called in as advisors at the discretion of the police. We can't force our way in even if we wanted to. Nev

• Agree 5

But really the RAAus have no part in it. It's not registered and the pilot is not qualified (officially)_ Just WHAT authority does RAAus have over this individual? The police have that. That's the way it operates EVEN when the person is under the auspices of the RAAus. The STATE Police and the coroner (if applicable) We are only called in as advisors at the discretion of the police. We can't force our way in even if we wanted to. Nev

Actually unreg & unlic is federal, so CASA. State police "may" take action should they choose under 328A of the CCode, Dangerous Operation, but without injuries I would be surprised if they didn't hand it over to CASA, but that's only a guess!

• Agree 1

I do understand why cockies out in the bush in Western QLD don't bother with RAA rego and/or renewing their pilot certificates ( if they bothered to have one in the first place ). Why would they ? They fly over their own joints, they are not going to pay money to an organisation on a yearly basis when their GA Licence and rego is for life.

• Agree 5

Guest Maj Millard
I can foresee that reckless incidents like this being the driver for the introduction of more draconian regulations.

Just like the Ferris wheel incident was....also involved ATSB

Guest Maj Millard
And that's about their limit of power.

RAAus is not a prosecuting entity ...CASA is...all we can do is cancel certificates temporarily or permanently.

RAA and HGFA are the self administrative bodies for this Class and will probably cop it over the next couple of years, however this is problematic where someone breaks away or a splinter group breaks away.

These people, without the restraining force of an Association often cross over into the civil offense/ crime area.

Major outlined one of the problems for the self administering body trying to round them up, but you have to do it, and in the past I've enlisted the help of Police. However they have their own difficulties where behaviour is beyond regulations they don't administer. In this case it seems to me that CASA will be the ones to deal with this.

• Agree 1

Wasn't the Hume Weir incident handed over to police because aircraft was unregistered and pilot had no certificate?

So did it cost him more without having the rego/certificate ?

Several have expressed that RAA shouldn't waste time/resources on this matter. I would be interested in exactly what RAA's charter from CASA is. Is it to administer certain types of recreational aviation, or does it specify only if they are a member of that organisation. The fact that RAA has no authority whatsoever if not a member is problematic if our charter mandated by CASA does not stipulate members only. If it did not exclude non members, do RAA have the right to not investigate incidents just because they are not members?

Guest Maj Millard
Several have expressed that RAA shouldn't waste time/resources on this matter. I would be interested in exactly what RAA's charter from CASA is. Is it to administer certain types of recreational aviation, or does it specify only if they are a member of that organisation. The fact that RAA has no authority whatsoever if not a member is problematic if our charter mandated by CASA does not stipulate members only. If it did not exclude non members, do RAA have the right to not investigate incidents just because they are not members?

If someone is conducting a flying activity and is not a member of some regulating organisation as required and approved by CASA, they are simply operating illegally in CASAs eyes, per CASA regs. Can easily lead to a two year jail term if convicted.