Aerochute Crash near Mackay

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also it appears that at the start of the video he is very very low almost takeoff like, does anyone know if he had been up and was doing a low pass or if he decided to take off towards the crowd?

I can not see how there is any excuse for this, taking off towards the crowd is unacceptable.

we might as well learn from his mistakes as they might cost us enough.

Anybody who can learn this was a bad idea from this incident should not be flying.

Richard, I think you meant to say "anybody who CANNOT learn this ....."

Well maybe, but my thoughts were anybody who flies an aircraft should already know not to do this, if it takes this incident to show someone it is a bad idea then it it is a sorry state of affairs.

• Agree 1

Teck I don't think I said any of that could be excused but to say we can't learn from it IMHO would be silly.

Of course it doesn't really matter if he took off towards the crowd or was doing a low pass both are equally stupid. But forgetting the crowd and the situation for a minute and just looking at the fact that he crashed it is obvious that mistakes were made and I think just saying he was stupid/dumb etc is too simplistic IMHO.

I think we should be talking about how human factors really can affect us (yes we have all ticked the box of a human factors endo but real life examples are much better teachers). Ok hopefully all of us here aren't stupid enough to be flying over a crowd like this but there are so many other ways we can be distracted causing stupid mistakes.

• Agree 1

Perhaps you are right and I just can't see it. I think anyone silly enough to do that should not be flying full stop. There are some of us that leant to fly before license and rego days and survived for more 20 years with out HF. With out doing stuff like that.

• Agree 2

Guest ozzie

From RAAus email today

[[ Report on Dangerous Activity

Recreational Aviation Australia was made aware of an accident involving a Powered Parachute operation at Kuttabul, QLD last Sunday and the board, management, staff and our members are appalled at this type of unapproved and dangerous activity.

Preliminary investigations have revealed that the pilot was not a member of Recreational Aviation Australia and likewise the aircraft flown was not registered with Recreational Aviation Australia.

In cases of alleged non-compliance Recreational Aviation Australia has no jurisdiction to investigate or impose any disciplinary processes. CASA, the federal regulator, will step in and take the appropriate actions it deems necessary in relation to any breaches of the Aviation Act and underpinning regulations.

Recreational Aviation Australia continues to exhaust all possible options to encourage and remind pilots of the requirements to legally operate recreational aircraft under the privileges and benefits offered by our organisation. ]].

Yes some of us here are pre AUF self taught types. Good chance we were practicing Human Factors before someone found a label for it. Those that didn't haven't made it this far.

Human Factors a subject of Stating the Obvious and if you fail to recognize that before being taught it then you deserve to get spanked and really should be playing chess instead.

But really the RAAus have no part in it. It's not registered and the pilot is not qualified (officially)_ Just WHAT authority does RAAus have over this individual? The police have that. That's the way it operates EVEN when the person is under the auspices of the RAAus. The STATE Police and the coroner (if applicable) We are only called in as advisors at the discretion of the police. We can't force our way in even if we wanted to. Nev

I wonder if Aerochute sells their machines without rego? Is it legal for a local aircraft manufacturer to sell an unregistered aircraft?

I would imagine even if this aircraft is unregistered it probably has been in the past. Maybe CASA will still be asking Ra-Aus questions because aircraft disappearing off the register would be something that they expect Ra-Aus to be checkin on....? If you just fail to re-register your aircraft does CASA or Ra-Aus just forget the machine ever existed? Or is their paper work required?

If you just fail to re-register your aircraft does CASA or Ra-Aus just forget the machine ever existed? Or is their paper work required?

Maybe they just assume it was written off at it's second last lolly drop.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 4

Id assume since he never had a pilot certificate to start with ,he must have not registered his aircraft at all, as he would have thought it would be futile,and his stupidity snowballed from there to where he is now.

uh oh that aint looking goodbut then it is up to the owner make sure that aircraft is registered and air worthy

what happened to the list of registered aircraft on the raa site neil

• Agree 1

Perhaps you are right and I just can't see it. I think anyone silly enough to do that should not be flying full stop. There are some of us that leant to fly before license and rego days and survived for more 20 years with out HF. With out doing stuff like that.

And it now occurs to me it is a pity that some are allowed to drive on the road.

Especially drunks.

There's your problem.......they're NOT allowed, but they still do it.

Seems to be a bit of an ongoing problem...having a law against it doesn't mean it won't happen.

• Agree 3

Lol gnu I was thinking more along the lines of if a aircraft (any aircraft) runs out of rego it must be handed in for mandatory crushing.........

Was listening to a story the other day of police crushing dirt bikes which had been caught hooning. Made me feel a little sad really, not for the hoons but for the bikes. Why couldn't they sell them off or give them away to some deserving folks?

• Agree 1

aeoshute kev spot on remark about 20 to 30 minutes to set up if every thing unfolds the way it should

so here is my theory some one at the site of the said incident did not see the onlookers at a person setting up a powered shute confused bloody hell me aint

kids must been playing with their ipads neil

• 8 months later...