Guess This Aircraft ?

Yes, Googles algorithms find virtually everything that has ever been posted for public display. And I've spent 20 yrs fine-tuning my internet searching abilities.

As a little thread drift - about 17 yrs ago, I actually found a stolen backhoe for a bloke in the U.S. He came onto one of the tractor forums complaining his backhoe had been knocked off.

We got all the details off him - make, model, serial number - and I went internet searching with a vengeance.

I found an identical backhoe listed for sale on a small marketplace site, a couple of states away, with just one digit difference in the serial number.

It was too obvious - the digit that was different, was one that could be easily altered - like an "8" instead of a "6". I went back onto the forum, and messaged him with my suspicions.

He came back a few days later, saying he'd alerted the police - they inspected the backhoe, it was definitely his - and the police seized it, and pounced on a gang who'd been knocking off a substantial amount of construction equipment!

He couldn't believe it, that a bloke on the other side of the world, just doing searches with a computer, could track his stolen backhoe down for him!

I must admit, your thread has amazed me, at just how many different aircraft have been built. It's been reported that over 50,000 different makes of cars have been built, I reckon the number of aircraft types and models must be right up there with the number of different cars built.

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 4

We'll pay out on that one, PMcC. I thought the 2-blade prop would throw most people off the scent.

All the BE2 photos show a 4 blade prop, I have no idea why this one is wearing a fancy 2-blade job. I can only presume it was an experimental prop. Dated 1913.

Just using (that much maligned) Wikipedia to search for unknown (to me) aircraft to add to the Aircraft section of this site. It has lists by country/genre/decade  -  eg. Utility aircraft from Romania in the 1990's. It turns up some for this quiz.

• 1 month later...
36 minutes ago, red750 said:

Yep. One pilot stated that it "took off at 120mph, cruised at 120 mph and landed at 120 mph."

So just like the old Pegasus XL trikes ... except everything happened at 50mph