Do you have "Hanger Problems" and how much do you Pay to Rent?

SSCBD

Ahh but notice that the commercial ones are fixed down to a proper footing and not just plonked down on the ground.

Th other issue I have with shipping ng containers is that by the time they no longer pass the inspection to be used on a ship the corrosion has really started to take hold. Containers that can be still used as containers are quite expensive.

Unless you need the secure space that a container provides a kit shed is likely cheaper.

• Agree 2

What is the cost of a suitable sized hangar with a floor and walls?Or Farm shed ?

My 12m x 18m x 4m machinery shed was $47,000 for the materials, $22,000 for the concrete (120mm heavy duty 25 MPa slab), and $13,000 to put it all up. Then add epoxy floor coating, electrical (saved heaps there because my friend is a sparky), etc. It was a heavy duty design though, and a wind rating above the minimum required because I don't want it blowing down when the 1 in 100 year wind storm hits a month after it's finished.

Of course you can cut costs by having it built to the absolute minimum requirements, use chinese steel (as opposed to Aus made BHP steel components from a reputable company like Lysaght or Strammit), pour a lower spec concrete slab, leave the floor unsealed, etc. Though I'd argue cutting corners is a false economy for a structure like a hangar - or where you're storing lots of expensive farm machinery and workshop gear.

Also your hangar or shed door sizes may place a lower limit on the physical size of the building required to accommodate them.

What is the cost of a suitable sized hangar with a floor and walls?Or Farm shed ?

A 12 by 12 by 4 kit shed will start at about$12k without doors for the basic kit of materials including roof cladding. You need to add to this erection (or diy) and concrete footings

Large doors are expensive and if they hang from the frame then it adds there too. It can easily double the cost if the opening required is large.

The floor will be a big cost too.

For a larger shed the numbers quoted by dutchroll seem spot on for a high quality product done well.

To compare this to a shed made from 2 containers the costs won't be much less. 2 40 foot containers without too much rust will be about $8k and the roof thing about another 8 or so. With the containers you need a bigger space for the same clear width. Eg say the aircraft has a 10m span and you want some clearance either side you need 12m clear. For a shed this will fit on a plot of land about 12.5m wide. A container is 2.5m wide and so you will need 17m of width. If you are renting the land at the airport by the m2 that adds quite a bit of space required.

If you are prepared to go a bit further out you can buy a block and build your own (hangar).

Tigers-at-Dajenup-2.jpg.523fb334238953cb3531dd77ecfc7956.jpg

"Build it and they will come!"

304485667_05Thefrontofthehangar.JPG.69c7a26989c98f7dc907bcac369a9122.JPG

376343674_09Thehangar-lookingN.JPG.b960e2ae204346e764df6aa28a39188f.JPG

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

A friend of mine has had the property his hangar is on, sold, so he has dismantled the hangar, which was built to suit his Jab. Both Jab and hangar are up for sale. $46000 for both. $6000 for the hangar, which I suppose would be near Rockhampton.

Contact me for his details if interested.

A friend of mine has had the property his hangar is on, sold, so he has dismantled the hangar, which was built to suit his Jab. Both Jab and hangar are up for sale. $46000 for both. $6000 for the hangar, which I suppose would be near Rockhampton.Contact me for his details if interested.

Just out of interest, how big is hangar and is it C, Z or RHS portals ? I m in NSW so the transport might be too expensive ! But could ask and see.

The Kimberley is not the best place to be looking for hangar space.

You would think that with all of the land about it would not be an issue.

Our local airport at Kununurra has no space to build any hangars and the hangars that are there are full.

We are not very visitor friendly for aviation people.

Following this thread with great interest, will be ordering my Foxbat next year, that's the easy part, hangar slots are the problem, so on a side note if anyone has a vacant spot from AUG16 at Caboolture please let me know, Yes I'm searching a year out.080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif