Shoreham airshow

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very sad indeed,. . . .just got back from working on radio at fly-in all day - amazing noone mentioned this !

Thanks FT. . . . .glad there's someone who reads the news ! ! !

Couldn't hear the jungle drums,. . .these damn airplanes make so much noise !

• Like 1

One of the cars was a wedding car, a Rolls-Royce which had its roof taken off.

My wife's comment to me after watching the video and Facebook entries: ''And that's why you are never going to an airshow.''

OME

I attended 3 major British air shows last month and was surprised to see a lot of the performances were towards the spectator line with a turn just before overflying. If a failure occurred they are likely to take out part of the crowd. This unfortunate mishap however was not into the spectators but shows that the worst can happen to the best qualified pilots.

Here is a collection of videos that are popping up in social media:

Aftermath video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cw_mB2N6Eg

Pilot survived but has life-threatening injuries and reports of 7 dead. http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/aug/22/hawker-hunter-plane-crash-shoreham-air-show-reports

My nephew phoned me earlier today in a state of shock, or more to the point, was a total and utter mess.

He was right there on the A27 when it unfolded before his eyes.

He was on his motorbike and said the heat through his visor was so intense, the memory will live in his mind forever.

So sad, but an extra bit of altitude needed before pulling over into loop and the outcome would surely have been different. Hindsight can be wonderful, but sadly is not always with us.

Hope and pray that he pulls through, along with some others that were on the road.

The pilots wife is also a captain with BA apparently. She'll need some time off for sure.

I know the airfield so well, I took my first TIF there in an Auster.

RIP

One of the cars was a wedding car, a Rolls-Royce which had its roof taken off.My wife's comment to me after watching the video and Facebook entries: ''And that's why you are never going to an airshow.''

OME

Yes, so I understand, . . . . the limousine you are referring to, was actually ( according to news feeds ) ON IT'S WAY to collect the Bride for a wedding. . . . the Chauffeur, regrettably, did not survive the tragedy, as was the case for several othr people who happened to be passing the airfield at the time, which makes the whole situation arguably worse.

So may people have said that the use of veteran aircraft being used for Airshow purposes is a BAD IDEA. . . . this is a fair assessment I suppose,. . .but one point of view could be that if Health 'N' Safety get involved in this, then there will NEVER be any veteran aircraft allowed at Air shows,. . .if aircraft at these shows have to behave "Normally". . .then anyone can park outside any international airport and watch this happening anytime. . . . very SAFE, but not particularly EXCITING.

It is far more than just REGRETTABLE that so many passing motorist deaths occurred as a result of this pilot ,. . .or his aircraft, having a problem.

Perhaps a better idea COULD be, to ensure that any air show site must not have a major arterial roadway passing it's boundary fence. . . . Discuss.

Phil

The poor pilot has, so far, survived. If he does pull through, I'd bet he wished he hadn't.

. . . . " An a big Turkish shell knocked me ar$e over head,. . .when I seen what it had done, well I wished I was dead,. . .

an I'll go no more waltzing matilda. . . . . ."

( First World War Australian song. . . . )

BIKKY. . . . .

A couple of the sons of close friends, after returning from military service in Afghanistan and Iraq with the most horrific, life altering injuries, have NEVER SAID . ."I wish I'd been killed. . . ."

But I think I see where you're coming from on that.

Maybe, if he survives,. .. that's exactly what he WILL think. . . . .no "Bang Seats" allowed on privately owned Ex-Military jet aircraft,. . .just like the Folland Gnat which went in recently. . . . .

Who knows. . . ?

I'll bet he never expected that to occur. . . . .

The ONLY decent Quango on Earth,. . .ie, the A.A.I.B. will find out what caused it. . . . . . .

It seems a bit of a shame that Air Accident investigation is about the only thing the "Brits" are now still bloody good at. . . . .

Phil

Isn't one of the possibilities at the bottom of a loop to enter a high speed stall due to the AoA? If that happens, then the inertia of the plane sends it along a path which is tangential to the loop, but in a descent. You don't see the nose drop or wing drop that you learn to associate with a slow speed stall.

I was amazed to see the airplane was virtually intact when it came to rest. Makes one wonder what caused the fireball.

OME

It did not look like a normal loop to me and why would you do that over a busy road? I thought that should have been done over the airfield. This is likely to impact airshows from now on.

Isn't one of the possibilities at the bottom of a loop to enter a high speed stall due to the AoA? If that happens, then the inertia of the plane sends it along a path which is tangential to the loop, but in a descent. You don't see the nose drop or wing drop that you learn to associate with a slow speed stall.

In one of the video's I have seen, that's exactly what happened. The nose was up but the aircraft continued it's downward trajectory.