Lyndons Savannah VG Thread

Lyndon

From the outside. This is right wing.

And what I did with the tank.

I'm not saying this is 'right'. It's just what I arrived at so far.

I also found the sliding square a great help for marking out here.

Finally, and i think this is very important, since the bottom of the sight glass is well below the bottom of the tank, it's possible to have fuel in the glass but none in the tank: I shall be measuring up when I have it all together, and masking off the bottom of the glass that is meaningless.

DSCF0603.JPG.aaff13f6abfe1e5baafccf68efab6cb3.JPG

DSCF0594.JPG.a0b58973e87524c2931219b938a6517d.JPG

DSCF0604.JPG.8cb8f6961b1cc204fe1ac8e9a495425f.JPG

• Helpful 1

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for that. I will have to enlarge the hole and or move it as my tank already has the fitting in it. Attachment of the rislan tube with some fuel hose is also a concern or do I have that wrongLyndon

I don't know what your kit requires.

My kit has aluminium fitting in the tank, 2 sizes. These are then connected (the smaller ones) to the rislan site glass tube with short bits of fuel hose and hose clamps. The larger ones (fuel feed/return on right, fule feed/breather on left) are also connected same way to what are now smaller diameter SS fuel lines.

I arranged my grommet sizes etc as best I could to allow me to assemble all this.

For the rislan tubes, both my hose clips are in the tank bay.

For the bigger couplings, one hose clip in the tank bay, the other just inboard of rib 2. You won't need that as you'll have hoses, I would think?

My concern is tighting up hose clamps on the fuel line and what stops the rislan pipe crushing

Again, I don't know what you have.

My kit has something called Rilsamid, 8 x 6 and I can't imagine crushing it.

I should say I'm a first time builder, Lyndon. There are far more knowledgeable people here than me.

I'm tightening up hose clamps on hose that then has the Rilsamid sight stuff inside it. So, if anything, the hose will compress. Do you have a different arrangement???

Hi Lyndon. Small item:

I have 4 tanks, and with the (separate) kit of bits and pieces for the outer tanks, I got 4 washers...what used to be called penny washers...1/4" x 15/16".

I'm pretty sure they're intended to go on the bolts that screw into the front of the tanks, and that makes sense to me as the aluminium tank mounting bracket is pretty soft to be bolting through.

I didn't get any of these with the inner tanks, but I'm going to buy 4 more for there.

You may like to do the same (if you didn't get any).

Bob

That's the right inner tank. Fittings, left to right are:

Sight glass upper, Fuel return line, Sight glass lower.

You can also see the penny washer.

And I've put in Rivnuts for side and rear of cover in case I have to go back in here.

I've posted this also on my own build thread, I want to be sure it's as it should be before closing up.DSCF0633.JPG.c2e30221f7e6cfac204792e120959c7d.JPG

Looking at those rivnuts, they are not the counter sunk one like ICP supply, more like the ones that came in my kit with my pliers. They will hold the cover away from the wing skin so you will need to turn the edge of the cover down so it meets the wing skin, won't take much, just crease it.

Looking at those rivnuts, they are not the counter sunk one like ICP supply, more like the ones that came in my kit with my pliers. They will hold the cover away from the wing skin so you will need to turn the edge of the cover down so it meets the wing skin, won't take much, just crease it.

Thanks, Steve. They are the countersink ones, but you're right, they are still a little proud.

And it'll stiffen the edge to put a very slight crease in it, too.

• Informative 1

• 3 weeks later...
I think the load on those bolts is shear and the body washers would do very little of anything.Lyndon

Instinct says you're right, I'm certainly not qualified to judge beyond that.

Holes in the wrong spot ???. Any suggestions rather than just redrill and has anyone had the same ??. As you can see the front leg is of set to the front. But have a row in the rear on the plastic Bush and the long angular but the plate that goes under the plastic Bush has these holes in the front ??? Thoughts ??

Thanks Lyndon

14706419162871232293366.jpg.0bbc08f56c38460d559df79f945d64ab.jpg

1470642052989-757741720.jpg.d5b7544cec7477eebbc4875b2cf0889f.jpg

Great thanks. I'm fitting the leg now. But of work getting it to fit so it moves up and down. I have the upper bearing correct I take it. The manual shows quite clearly the square plate on the bottom of the race and then again on top. I have it on the bottom.

Thanks Lyndon

14707213658141232293366.jpg.39185e82412c5fd1c97440d73d683a4b.jpg

1470721403878-757741720.jpg.680c20d0b3064d55161fb61eccc1cf3f.jpg

Is it a good idea to fit the control assembly at this stage before I get it on its wheels. I see there is some fuel stuff in here as well. I have it on its side so I can paint the underside so it's easy to access at the moment or is ok to do when it's on the wheels. Thanks Lyndon

1470991219114-80354921.jpg.041c2e510c305e1cafd3ba83913a25a7.jpg

Anyone know where I can get some of these an03-5 bolts in Adelaide. Postage is very high on the net for a few dollars worth of bolts.Lyndon

how many fo you need Lyndon ? I'm away for a couple of weeks .....if your not in a hurry!

Anyone know where I can get some of these an03-5 bolts in Adelaide. Postage is very high on the net for a few dollars worth of bolts.Lyndon

I get AN bolts from ASAP Aircraft Spares in Caboolture in Qld. Very easy to deal with, just sent an email with my list and they sent back a quote real quick. Was $11.30 for Aust. Post prepaid satchel.

Like then asap as I want to get my plane off the bench onto it's wheels. It looks like I need a lot and there is not enough in the kit. The bench is taking up to much room and needs to go. I will call first thing Monday and they can overnight them. Thanks Lyndon

Engine mount. I'm about to fit it. Any tips on this. It's all a bit flexible as is the cabin frame that it mates to on the top. The manual says nothing about location in any detail ???. So is just a matter of fitting where it seems nice or is there a specific point where it needs to go. On the top of my fire wall I two little holes that seem to do nothing in the center ?? From what I can see these have nothing to with it or am wrong. Any guidance would be great. Thanks Lyndon

the L brackets on the bottom have to go under the fuselage and the holes in the top have to line up with the holes in the pad on the cabin frame. I caused myself some grief by drilling through the cabin frame into the firewall instead of through the engine mount into the firewall but it worked out right in the end.

That is the plate in the centre at the top. From memory I needed to change the front rivet in the extruded angular on each side for a countersunk rivet so the head didn't hold the L brackets on the engine mount away from the angular, then everything lined up.

Thanks. Yep I have left the bottom angulars free of rivets on the end. Will fit counter sunk. My frame is sprung and the top is at least 30 mm away from the fire wall. Within reason the cabin and engine mount seem to mount on the top firewall where they like give or 10 mm. Be nice if this was pre drilled. I will have a go at it. Probably easier than it looks when I actually do it.

Thanks Lyndon