Helicopter missing between Sydney & North West NSW

The secret is knowing when you've made poor judgement.

This is all part of the human phenomenon known as "personal insight", and the most reliable and long-lived pilots have a reasonable degree of it. It's an essential quality of just your ordinary decent person on the street too. That nagging voice in your head which says "ok, it's too late because you've done it now, but that was a bad idea, so let's modify our ways so that it doesn't happen like that again, eh?" I've kicked myself (actually I get quite vocal and call myself lots of nasty names!) on a number of occasions!

The people who need to be told they've made a bad choice because they have no idea are the big worry.

• Agree 4

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One test I have used to bring me back to reality is "How would what I'm doing look in Court". This is not specifically looking at committing a criminal act as the rules make that too easy. It's a matter of having to justify the quality of your decision under intense review, afterwards..

Another insight I try to pass on when people are distracted when flying is "think Aeroplane". An aeroplane is like nothing else. I've never agreed with the statement "If you can drive a car , you can fly a plane". I think that type of assertion is directed at making money for flying schools or expanding the organisation.. Nev

• Agree 2

One test I have used to bring me back to reality is "How would what I'm doing look in Court". This is not specifically looking at committing a criminal act as the rules make that too easy. It's a matter of having to justify the quality of your decision under intense review, afterwards../QUOTE]

" What's the worst that could happen?" and "How would I explain this?" Are things I ask myself a lot, the scary ones are mistakes I didn't even know I made until someone else noticed.

• Like 1

What we call "bad choices" may not be seen as such by those making them.Continually getting away with it reinforces the notion that the "choice" is not bad, thereby becoming oblivious to the real risks.

If someone was successful 1000 times you may have a hard time convincing them that at 1001 times their time may be up.

Some one coined a phrase for this, its 'normalization of deviance'.

• Informative 1

Confidence is needed but must be based on reality. Adequate training and the situation being within your limits. If it's just bravado, it's BS and there's nothing more pathetic than BS,ing to yourself. IF you are UNDER-confident you aren't giving yourself a fair go at achieving what you are capable of. Nev

• Agree 1