Helicopter missing between Sydney & North West NSW

A confidence based on realistically assessed training adequacy and preparation coupled with a healthy appreciation of the task ahead and the aim being optimum management of it, is what is needed.

Aces often have feet of clay. A legend in the world of their own imagination. Noisy with the answer to everything. Not need to listen to advice. An image of invincibility to preserve. This will cloud their judgement some day, inevitably. Nev

• Agree 1

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A confidence based on realistically assessed training adequacy and preparation coupled with a healthy appreciation of the task ahead and the aim being optimum management of it, is what is needed.Aces often have feet of clay. A legend in the world of their own imagination. Noisy with the answer to everything. Not need to listen to advice. An image of invincibility to preserve. This will cloud their judgement some day, inevitably. Nev

I see some of them on here.

• Agree 1

It's hard to tell what people are like from how they present here. That doesn't stop us from coming to conclusions about them. Nev

I dont agree with that sentiment. I think the anonimity of the net gives a good look into the thought process behind the person. I don't doubt that some may present quite differently face to face, but which one is the real person. Quite possibly somewhere in between the two we see.

I dont agree with that sentiment. I think the anonimity of the net gives a good look into the thought process behind the person. I don't doubt that some may present quite differently face to face, but which one

As you go along you get to meet many of the people on here at different events, It definitely helps to have talked face to face. I never feel anonymous on here, that helps you decide to use the backspace key instead of the post button sometimes.

• Agree 4

There is no real anonymity. When I was particularly outraged at something Bull had posted a few months back, I went back through his posts and soon was able to find enough info to get his name and address and phone number. I didn't use them, as I had cooled down, but I think anyone could do that about most of us.

• Agree 1

Lol....I do that a lot (backspace key and "edit" button)!

Despite login pseudonyms, I've never expected to maintain anonymity here. One forum member whom I'm certain I've never met and wouldn't know from a bar of soap private-messaged me a while back using my real name. The "greeting" was borderline abusive and certainly aggressive, regarding a thread in this section - he subsequently copped a ban. I speculate he looked me up on the rego database and/or googled my plane on the web (heck there's a photo of it right here). Not hard.

Every child should be raised to follow the 10-second rule: count to ten before reacting. It would prevent so many unnecessary disputes and crimes. Our prisons would be nearly empty. Sales of firearms would diminish...

I should have followed that myself; might still have some friends...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Sales of firearms wouldn't change OK, well not in aus anyway. It takes a lot more than ten seconds to put through a permit to acquire. But I 100% agree with the ten second stop and think thing.

There is rarely any urgency to open our mouths but we seem to think that it is so important at the time to speak our mind and often over such silly things that if we stood back and had another look we would be embarrassed at ourselves.

Better to hold your tongue and be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt. Lol I got told that a lot as a kid 059_whistling.gif.a3aa33bf4e30705b1ad8038eaab5a8f6.gif

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I try to push safety here. That makes me appear far more boring than I really am. Sorry. Have lost too many colleagues and friends, so that's the way it will be.

If it's not hard to determine what people are like on line, it's easy!! Who would say it's easy? It's hard enough getting the message across without people reading unintended meanings into it. It takes considerable time to know those who contribute meaningfully . Many of the like/dislikes and other, show people have/have not got the message. You don't have to agree, but if the subject is important YOUR input is valuable, so don't hold back..Nev

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

To me it shows how a perception of "risk-taking" can become quite warped, in the form of substantially underestimating it over time. Self confidence is a fine thing to have for a pilot, but it needs to be kept on a leash.

To me he says it all at 43:30..... he actually didn't think there was increased risk when he flew into a confined space [or with inclement weather]. You may well get away with this stuff 99 times out of a hundred, but if you continue to put yourself in a high risk environment, it will bite you eventually.

• Agree 2

There is no real anonymity. When I was particularly outraged at something Bull had posted a few months back, I went back through his posts and soon was able to find enough info to get his name and address and phone number. I didn't use them, as I had cooled down, but I think anyone could do that about most of us.

I had never felt the need to use this service to hide from anyone mate ,not hard to find out anyone on here, and just for the record Scott Evans is my name po box621 midge point Qld4799 1405 cascade condominiums Laguna Quays resort feel free to call in mate,as i don't back away from any plastic flyer same go,s for any others that have an issue with free speech or criticism of their true agendas also I hope all YOUR ad,s etc are up to date and that you do not break any little rules either mate {you never know where those pesky camera,s are ah,,so feel free to stand up and not just talk about it.........................

• Like 2

I had never felt the need to use this service to hide from anyone mate ,not hard to find out anyone on here, and just for the record Scott Evans is my name po box621 midge point Qld4799 1405 cascade condominiums Laguna Quays resort feel free to call in mate,as i don't back away from any plastic flyer same go,s for any others that have an issue with free speech or criticism of their true agendas also I hope all YOUR ad,s etc are up to date and that you do not break any little rules either mate {you never know where those pesky camera,s are ah,,so feel free to stand up and not just talk about it.........................

As I said, I got over it. I use my own name here and anyone can know who I am. At present I have given up the plastic and am flying a 40 year old 4 seater. Having a lot of fun fixing up the cabin trim and paintwork so it doesn't look too run down. Will buy you a beer if I get to the resort one day. Peter.

• Like 1

As I said, I got over it. I use my own name here and anyone can know who I am. At present I have given up the plastic and am flying a 40 year old 4 seater. Having a lot of fun fixing up the cabin trim and paintwork so it doesn't look too run down. Will buy you a beer if I get to the resort one day. Peter.

Well said Peter, and thanks for the reply, I am thinking of going the Ga way now myself,,as the way RAA has gone ,it,s not much more expensive for a real pilots "licence and the options of taking more than one person flying at the same time appeals to me without the bulls@*#7 of RAA and the incompetence of those that have highjacked a sporting /fun type of endeavour and have turned it into a money making power play rule changing game . So Peter my apologies if any of my ga rants offended you and I might see you around flying something a bit bigger than my old parasol/ and jackacriket ,,,cheers Scott

• Like 1

Poor judgment is something I think most of us exercise from time to time.

I know that I am guilty of having done so more than once.

Yes the pilot made bad choices....and maybe 1000 times before he had gotten away with the bad choices he made.

The only one who could truly tell us what was going on in his thought process died, along with his passengers I feel sadness for.

The best we can hope for from reading about these crashes is that we recognize we all have made bad choices. .....us still alive survived our poor choices. ....and hopefully we make less poor choices in the future by reading about the possible outcome of doing stupid things.

I fly a lot, and there is no such thing as a risk free flight.

They are all potentially dangerous.

But using our brains can significantly lower that risk!

• Agree 6

What we call "bad choices" may not be seen as such by those making them.

Continually getting away with it reinforces the notion that the "choice" is not bad, thereby becoming oblivious to the real risks.

If someone was successful 1000 times you may have a hard time convincing them that at 1001 times their time may be up.

• Agree 1