Helicopter missing between Sydney & North West NSW

Hoping for a good outcome on this one. Had read it is an EC-135.

From ABC News

Search underway for helicopter missing between Sydney and north-west NSW

Updated 3 minutes ago

PHOTO: The Westpac helicopter is involved in the search for the missing helicopter. (AAP: Paul Miller)

MAP: Breeza 2381

A search is underway for a helicopter with three people aboard which has not been heard from since leaving Breeza in north-west New South Wales on Saturday afternoon.

The Australian Maritime Safety Authority said the helicopter was flying to northern Sydney - a trip that should only have taken a couple of hours.

AMSA said the helicopter was only reported missing this morning just after 8:00am.

The authority's Dornier 328 Search and Rescue plane is inspecting the northern part of the likely flight path, while a rescue helicopter is searching the southern part.

The search area stretches from the Hunter Valley to northern Sydney.

No mayday calls or emergency beacons were detected, AMSA said.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the Newcastle Herald

THREE people are missing after a helicopter disappeared on its way to Sydney on Saturday.

Newcastle crews are conducting a search spanning from the Hunter to northern Sydney for a helicopter which took off near Tamworth on Saturday and hasn't been since.

It's believed the helicopter had three people on board when it took off from Breeza on Saturday, bound for Sydney.

It has not reached the destination of its two-hour route.

It's understood the helicopter was headed to Mona Vale, in the Northern Beaches area.

The privately-owned EC135 helicopter was headed for Mona Vale from Breeza, near Tamworth, on Saturday but never arrived.

Both the Australian Maritime Safety Authority and the Westpac Rescue Helicopter are currently searching the most likely flight route.

Search and rescue officers are seeking extra clues to narrow the search zone.

No mayday calls we received by the plane, and the AMSA said it was only made aware that the helicopter had not landed on Monday morning.

(Not sure why they said no mayday calls we received from the plane RW)

Australian Search and Rescue is leading the search with several aircraft reportedly involved.

AMSA said roughly seven helicopters would join its plane combing the coast, as the Westpac aircraft scanned the southern end of the search zone.

A spokesperson for the Westpac Rescue Helicopter confirmed the rescue chopper had been activated this morning to assist with the search.

"A search is currently underway involving a total of eight aircraft including the Newcastle-based Westpac Rescue Helicopter for a helicopter which reportedly left Breeza on Saturday and failed to arrive at its Mona Vale destination," the spokesperson said.

"At present Westpac Rescue Helicopter has an area on the Central Coast as its designated area while other aircraft have been assigned to other locations for the present."

Just watched the local NBN news and they had quite a bit of footage on all three occupants. A well known Photographer his wife and the pilot is a film maker. They had been to the coal mine protest in Tamworth and were returning late Saturday afternoon. A relative visited their home on Sunday afternoon and they had not returned and it was only this morning they were reported missing.

They often took the helicopter away and they used it as a camper van loaded to the roof. From what they described of their flights side tracking to remote areas is a strong possibility which will mean that a good chance they are well off a direct track. Some footage showed of previous trips deep into gullys and ravines near water falls, overhangs ETC. if this was the case here then good chance to hear an epirb the aircraft would have to be right on top of it. Hope this does not end badly for them.

Definitely hopes this works out OK, I know the pilot having worked on his first helicopter here in Australia, an Aerospatiale Gazelle.

He had a photographic exhibition up here at Taree about two years ago.

Green.jpg.991affe573c43895210c5b9ccbbbb96e.jpg

yes sad outcome, located south of Cessnock, I was watching the Dornier on Flightwatch orbiting the area then it climb a couple thousand feet as the Westpac helicopter came on underneath it. Just before dark. I suspose it will be covered in detail in the morning.

I am not that far away and weather Saturday afternoon was a bit intense. Late in the day there was a narrow but strong thunderstorm line moving quickly up from the south . Bom.gov radar did show a couple of severe cells around 5.30 from memory heading up that way towards cessnock. Caught my attention as most storms come more from the west.

Very sad indeed.

Was flying at Gloucester that weekend, and weather not good at all, had to leave plane and drive home.

Guess we'll have to wait to find out what happened as it seems unlikely for a twin jet helicopter with modern GPS and autopilot to succumb to weather...?

Very sad indeed.Was flying at Gloucester that weekend, and weather not good at all, had to leave plane and drive home.

Guess we'll have to wait to find out what happened as it seems unlikely for a twin jet helicopter with modern GPS and autopilot to succumb to weather...?

All the fancy equipment in the would dosen't help if a wrong descision is made about a thunder storm. Sounds like you made a very good desision about your plane.

• Agree 2

Just on the NBN news that a property owner reported that they landed due to stress of weather then videoed them taking off again several minutes later, two minutes later they crashed.

This accident has a particular cause stamped all over it. The last 2 accidents involving what I fly have particular causes stamped all over them too (related in a sense, but somewhat technically different to this one).

And I'm just tiring of being polite, respectful, and discrete in my opinions of those causes, especially in two out of three cases where one or more bystanders has gone with them.

So I'll just bite my tongue.......a-friggin-gain......I guess.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 1

Does speaking out help with people who do everything in life the interesting way, or does it just make you unpopular at the time. If you have the experience to know that what you would say to them is true, then if you don't speak out, then you do become a part of the problem.

• Agree 1

The 7pm ABC news stated his record regarding previous Licence disqualification and stated he was not instrument rated also there was bad weather in the area. The people interviewed all regarded him as a good pilot.

as always, no one has invented a new way to kill themselves in aviation.... sadly, no one want to speak up, even if it is the truth, for fear of offending someone either real or imagined.. this culture has to change. the sad reality is 3 people are dead. it wasnt an accident. it could have been prevented.

All it takes is one small sentence...

I dont feel comfortable flying into this cloud/storm/weather/area etc...

if they continue, i really dont want you to fly into..............

and most importantly, it takes a skilled pilot in command, to exercise his superior knowledge in human factors, to know when he is taking a risk on behalf of someone else/ accept criticism, and reconsider..

this is whats being drummed into crews of Multi crew aircraft and military..

so why are we not thinking like this in General Aviation?? how many more people will have to die, innocent passengers, pilots, from preventable, or more importantly, PREDICTABLE accidents before we accept we are all human, and susceptible to failure, especially in extreme flying environments no matter how good we think we are.

• Agree 10

The 7pm ABC news stated his record regarding previous Licence disqualification and stated he was not instrument rated also there was bad weather in the area. The people interviewed all regarded him as a good pilot.

Good pilots and smart pilots are totally different beasts.

As a senior pilot and checker in the RAAF many years ago, I saw both. I felt a lot more comfortable bestowing initial multi-engine commands upon those who may not have been the "ace from space" for their flying ability, but had a lot of common sense and were well aware of their own personal limitations, as compared to those who had superior flying ability, but left me with nagging doubts as to their personal judgement.

You saw this difference reflected in incident reports too. Over-confident guys with ability proceeding to bend aeroplanes or create totally avoidable incidents. There's a happy zone between over-confidence and under-confidence which, if you sit yourself in the middle of it, will probably allow you to fly comfortably and reach retirement age.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 1