Jetpack anyone?

Akromaster

This has been a very long development. This is the timeline from the company's website:

The timeline below outlines key steps in the development of the Martin jetpack:

1981 Glenn Martin started research on the concept of a personal jetpack that could fly much longer than 30 seconds

1984 Mathematical research and "eureka" moment

1988 First test-rigs and mathematical validation by University of Canterbury

1997 First lift-off of piloted jetpack (tethered) by Vanessa Martin

2005 First untethered flight of jetpack

2007 Jetpack performs first outdoor manned figure eights, pirouettes and circuits. First patents filed.

2008 Product introduction at Oshkosh airshow and public reveal of the jetpack

2009 Conversion to fly by wire, PhD and simulator research started

2010 First manned flight of the jetpack over five minutes in duration

2011 Flight to 5,000 feet and first parachute deployment

2012 First demonstration of rapid opening parachute system

2013 Prototype 12 gains authorisation from New Zealand Civil Aviation Authority for manned test flights

I have spoken to Glenn Martin a few times at air shows in New Zealand and, from conversations I had with him, had the impression that the initial idea was to develop this for the Fun Factor aviation ideal. However, once he started to get investors on board, the company started to focus on those military and law enforcement dollars from North America and China. Since then, Glenn has left the Board of Directors.

This has been a very long development. This is the timeline from the company's website:The timeline below outlines key steps in the development of the Martin jetpack:

1981 Glenn Martin started research on the concept of a personal jetpack that could fly much longer than 30 seconds

1984 Mathematical research and "eureka" moment

1988 First test-rigs and mathematical validation by University of Canterbury

1997 First lift-off of piloted jetpack (tethered) by Vanessa Martin

2005 First untethered flight of jetpack

2007 Jetpack performs first outdoor manned figure eights, pirouettes and circuits. First patents filed.

2008 Product introduction at Oshkosh airshow and public reveal of the jetpack

2009 Conversion to fly by wire, PhD and simulator research started

2010 First manned flight of the jetpack over five minutes in duration

2011 Flight to 5,000 feet and first parachute deployment

2012 First demonstration of rapid opening parachute system

2013 Prototype 12 gains authorisation from New Zealand Civil Aviation Authority for manned test flights

I have spoken to Glenn Martin a few times at air shows in New Zealand and, from conversations I had with him, had the impression that the initial idea was to develop this for the Fun Factor aviation ideal. However, once he started to get investors on board, the company started to focus on those military and law enforcement dollars from North America and China. Since then, Glenn has left the Board of Directors.

The Martin 'jetpack' isn't a jet. The one above is. It is very different to the Martin jetpack.

• Agree 1

Rocket "jet pack" = US 1960's, very short range, very dangerous fuel, a few fans still working on development of this but will always be limited by the mass of the fuel required to get up there - counted in seconds of endurance.

Fan-type "jet pack" = NZ 1980-2015 Martin - very long development phase and not unsurprising heading towards military level pricing and use - its really a very small helicopter

Jet engine "jet pack" = US 2015 - the one on this thread. You knew it was coming once 15kg super model size turbo jets were putting out over 100kg of thrust ... 90kg pilot, 30 kg engine, 15kg frame + 25kg fuel = thrust > mass + biggest grin imaginable ... but do not ask about safety features ;-). And your 25kg of fuel will disappear in around 10 min ...

The engine out performance worries me. Nev

Then do not strap a couple of model jet engines to your sides ... or strap a slimline parachute to your back and fly higher - simples ;-)

A rocket-propelled BRS system may be useful for the Jet pack. I am not sure how that would be connected "aircraft" as such though.

I'm not sure I want a solid fuel rocket strapped to my ar$e 029_crazy.gif.9816c6ae32645165a9f09f734746de5f.gif

• Haha 1

The engine out performance worries me. Nev

No need to worry Nev. Engine out acceleration is still quite good, the flight characteristics are known and the touchdown is predictable.

rgmwa

• Haha 1

Terminal velocity as generally interpreted is the maximim in free fall, when drag equals weight At the end of most "falls" you have no velocity. Falling out of an aeroplane never killed anyone. It's what happens later that kills you. Nev

Terminal velocity as generally interpreted is the maximim in free fall, when drag equals weight At the end of most "falls" you have no velocity. Falling out of an aeroplane never killed anyone. It's what happens later that kills you. Nev

Yea I know...was a 'dad' joke.

Notice how he pivots in the air? I wonder if there's some thrust vectoring going on there. They talk of some computer controlled flight so you can "enjoy the view", so for example you could hit a button to enable hover mode. now that would be cool...

These are two large size RC model jet engines, yes they are modified with thrust vectoring and tilt to provide upward, forward and rear thrust. Pretty freaking cool and more practical for the 'recreational rocketeer'. Small 'chute would be the go if you fly high enough. I'd be more worried about single engine out. and 'man with gun' situations. Auto hover/pilot? hey we live in the digital age, anything is possible if you have the cash.

http://jetpackaviation.com/

Now big question is "Quanto costa?"

Yea I know...was a 'dad' joke.Notice how he pivots in the air? I wonder if there's some thrust vectoring going on there. They talk of some computer controlled flight so you can "enjoy the view", so for example you could hit a button to enable hover mode. now that would be cool...

A jetpack auto pilot system?

10 minutes seems like a long time to be suspended in the harness. When doi g confine space training, were told that if somebody does end up suspended in their safety harness, it is paramount to get to them quickly as the circulation is very restricted to the crouch area after a short amount of time.

Maybe the harness is engineered better on these. I dunno much about it.