For those who love or hate Dick (Smith)

Cosmick

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dick Smith in trading halt today ... the start of the end

ummm...maybe the electronics company bearing his name, that he sold out of many years ago?

The video relates to Dick Smith Foods I believe....

Another red herring....

• Agree 3

Woolworths owns Dick Smith the company...Dick Smith Foods is a totally different company that gives all its profits to charity and that is run by the true Dick Smith....the way the media is telling the story about the share trading suspension is just shocking they should be saying that the ma

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Maybe if you think so FT but the millions he donates every single year means I dont give a sh!t how many times his photo comes up...he is doing much more for the aussie farmers and under privilaged than you or I do. I buy his products to support his efforts...except the Ozemite...thats crap but the peanut past the tomato sauce and when he does the beetroot...that all we buy. Do you put your money where your mouth is FT?

• Like 7
  • Agree 5

Dick loves being your champion, the ego can't help itself. What did the ad say donated $4M and the agriculture sector is worth about $155,000,000,000 he's hardly saving a lot of farmers.

I suggest you have a read of his political manifesto before you pledge allegiance to him.

• Informative 1

The main reason it is only $4 million to charity is the big supermarkets either refuse to carry his stock or ensure he gets the worst shelf space.

At least he puts the local producers first.

Go to Woolies and try buy some local pineapple- not a my local.

Same with beetroot.

• Agree 4

Woolworths owns Dick Smith the company...Dick Smith Foods is a totally different company that gives all its profits to charity and that is run by the true Dick Smith....the way the media is telling the story about the share trading suspension is just shocking they should be saying that the ma

Woolworths sold Dick Smith Electronics for $90,000,000 who then did creative, but legalish book revaluations then listed the company and sold it for $520,000,000 At the time Dick said WTF it's not worth that.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/retail/dick-smith-not-surprised-dick-smith-shares-have-bombed-20151207-glhgdm.html

Just like Paul Newman spaghetti sauce, These blokes don't have to help other people, they choose to because they can afford to and they care. Can't stand listening to FT pouring his negative crap on Dick because he uses his recognised face to further the cause. His face is part of his gift to society. Dick Smith foods will still be doing good long after Dick is done for and good on him for it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

Dick made his money importing gadgets and electronics from low wage countries, so much for Aussie jobs for us simple city folks. Then he sold his business to Woolworths, obviously he wasn't too concerned about Woolies using its market size to screw suppliers. Perhaps Dick just likes the spotlight?

Funny thing is a while ago he was going on about how the last beetroot cannery was closing, now most farmers where cooking and vacuum bagging their beetroot on farm but Dick rides in on his white horse and vows to save the day.

Now, of course, the mums knew you can still buy Aussie beetroot but dad got angry he got real angry and cheered Dick on...

FT,

You can not buy local beetroot at my local supermarkets- not in a tin or vaccum bagged.

The only way I can get it- is at the green grocer and cook it myself.

Nor can I buy local bacon- it is all made from Canadian pork, because the profit is bigger. They claim Australian manufactured- not grown.

food costs 1/3 of what it was worth in the 70s and about 1/5 of what it did in the 50s.

Its the classic capitalism success story, mechanization and engineering driving down the costs. Ag is only 3% of the economy and employees bugger all people.

But FT,

The same goes for electronics and you used that argument to bash Dick.

And that neo classic capitalism you spout is the reason that housing in Australia is some of the most expensive on the planet.

• Agree 1

How is Dick, by trying to save a local cannery- trying to destroy local farmers who innovate?

Did his ads target these innovators?

Did he name and shame them for been foreign owned and sending all the profit overseas?

Did he use unconscionable conduct with his suppliers like Coles and Woolies?

Did he provide the same product as the innovators but from a foreign source?

Did he actively use market power to force them out of the market?

Come on FT spill the beans...